03-24-2014 11:16 AM
Another week, another baby shower! At least that’s how it can sometimes feel On our bestbuy.ca team alone, there have been 2 babies born in the past week, and one more on the way very shortly, so we’re always on the hunt for fun baby shower gift ideas that are unique and useful.
I always like to sneak in a little pampering for mom & dad, like a spa gift card or a housecleaner for an hour.
What have been some invaluable, “out of the box” baby shower gifts that you’ve received or given?
04-08-2014 09:12 PM
04-09-2014 10:10 AM
I loved gifts that were on my other mommy friends tried and tested "must-have" lists. Some of my "Mommy must have's" that you could keep in mind for your next baby shower include:
- Aden + Anais swaddling blankets & sleep sacs
- A good breast pump (if breast feeding) plus lots of nursing cream
- A swing that can be used from birth (any of the "Fisher Price Cradle n Swing" swings are my absolute favourite)
- A good quality stroller (think about your lifestyle before making this purchase. I personally need one that takes me from the mall to the trails and back. My Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle has been used through 2 kids almost every single day for over four years now and is still going strong!)
- Carriers. I like to have both a fabric carrier, such as the Baby K'Tan or Moby Wrap, and also a soft structured carrier, like the ErgoBaby, which will see you from about 3 months (or from birth using the infant inserts) right through to the toddler years.
I also totally agree with giving personalized gifts. You can find lots of DIY kits for things like hand & foot print impressions or for displaying keepsakes like hospital bracelets, newborn hats, locks of hair and other meaningful items. Or try to think of something personalized to the parents. If Dad is a sports fan, you could get them something for the baby from their favourite team. My husband is a HUGE hockey fan, so friends of ours have gotten us an infant hockey jersey from his favourite team customized with our last name and the last two digits in their birth year as the number on the back for each of our kids (most team-stores now offer jersey personalization for a small additional cost). Once my oldest grew out of her jersey, I mounted it in a shadow box and it's now hanging on the wall. If Mom was a dancer as a child, head to a dance shop and get the baby her first pair of tiny ballet shoes or a tutu that could be used in an infant photo shoot. Speaking of photo-shoots, maybe you could find out who the couples favourite local photographer is and get them a gift certificate for family photos (hint - if they've recently had a wedding, their wedding photographer will be a very good guess...)