Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

Does your tech bar recover images from CF memory cards?

Can the tech bar recover images from a Compact flash memory card.  My card reader has decided to stop working, presumably corrupting my files in the process. Images no longer show in camera. Have no formatted or taken more images.  No issues replacing reader, need client photos recovered from card.  Can you help, or set me in the right direction?  Would prefer "human" help over software help. thank you.

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Re: Does your tech bar recover images from CF memory cards?

Take it into the Geek squad, I am sure they can attempt to recover them, it really depends on how much damage has been done

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

If I were you I would first try to read the CF card on different devices.

Most laptops have a CF card slot reader built-in.  Some Playstation 3s (like mine) also have built-in card readers.  You can also probably bring it into the store and plug it into another camera to see if it can be read.

If none of those methods work, and assuming that you can't read anything at all from the card, or it is not recognized, you will probably need to go to a professional service.  Sometimes Universities have these services for slightly less.  

I don't know if Geek Squad performs this service.  I would think they are likely not trained to do this because it is highly specialized.

If you contact a professional service in your area, they can give you an estimate on costs before they start the work and it won't be cheap.  Then it depends on how valuable the information is on the card and what you are willing to pay for it (assuming it is recoverable in the first place).

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

Hopefully this issue has been resolved by now.

For future reference we do offer data recovery services, ranging from deleted files, corrupt firmware to mechanical failure.

The services aren't cheap as they do require special tools (particularly for the latter two) and further info can be found here: https://online.geeksquad.ca/support/services/GeekSquad_CA_-_Tier_1_Data_Recovery_Service

Also @SonicBoom I don't know of any mainstream laptop that has a CF card reader built in, they are all SD card readers. And the odd Sony will have Pro Duo in addition to SD.

Cheers

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Epic Genius

Yes, you're right @Computers_Mike, I was referring to SD cards, not CF cards.

You need to buy USB adapters to read CF cards.