Community Manager

Selecting the Right Camera Lens

[ Edited ]

camera lens buying guidecamera lens buying guide

Choosing a new lens can be a complicated decision—there is such a vast range of options out there. There is a new camera lens buying guide on the blog. If there are any photographers or photography hobbiests and enthusiasts out there, share your tips and opinions with us, and comment below!

The following types of lenses are covered in the buying guide:

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Selecting the Right Camera Lens

Excellent post, the lens of a camera setup is often overlooked.

It's just as if not more important than the camera itself. For the average person I would say to get a lens that costs as much as a camera as they dont really go out of date. When camera tech constantly improves.

Can't take good pics if the sensor doesn't see what it's looking at properly! Relatively speaking of course.
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

[ Edited ]

Great buying guide.....

Some thoughts....

• discover f/8..... for many lenses, it's the ultimate sharpness setting.
  • Use the tripod for more sharpness
  • some lenses cost more with VR or IS.  The image stabilization improves sharpness for hand held images.
  • some lenses may force you get an extra flash.  The built-in flash creates an unwanted shadow when the lens is too long.
  • what category has the 18-200 or 18-300 superzooms?  Or should they be in their own category.  Superzooms are my fav recommendations for new photographer.
    -reduce the frequency of lens swaps
    -less space in a camera bag.... especially when travelling
    -so affordable compared to the f/2.8 trinity option
    -if you don't make money from your photo's...  do you really need to pay for other lenses to get the ultimate sharpness
    -as they get more comfortable with their camera and know what zoom ranges they use the most frequently.... it's easier to justify primes and the f/2.8 lenses prices.
Community Manager

Excellent points @xl and @Computers_Mike.

For people out there who take photos recreationally for a hobby, and who don't want to necessarily have multiple lenses, do you think there's a clear cut "go-to" lens that addresses multiple needs?

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

[ Edited ]

When friends ask me about getting a camera, I often walk them into a store and ask them to try out different zoom lenses mounted on the display cameras.

• Some are very happy with the 18-55mm and are prepared for lens swaps to save money.
  • Others demand the 18-200mm combo to avoid lens swaps and save camera bag space.  Those coming from pocket shooters appreciate the zoom range more.  Yes superzooms significantly brings up the DSLR price.  However, it means the camera is not a paper weight left in the house.
  • and yes, there are those who demand the f/2.8 trinity... and can afford it.
Legendary Epic Genius

Ah yes the age old question of whats the best do it all lens, @BBYTerence I see you're trying to start a war here lol.

This is definitely a difficult question to answer. I will also have to agree with @xl that the 18-55mm lens is a good do-it-all lens.

Also, if you plan on doing some various types of shooting that needs more zoom, such as nature/scenery. This lens isn't outlandlishly expensive and has great range. Low light performance will be decent at best, however.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nikon-nikon-afsvr-18-200-f4-5-6-telephoto-lens-af-s-dx-18-200-vr...?

Now if you wanted to buy one lens that will be good essentially forever, that has great everything and isn't telephoto (super zoom) then this would be a phenomenal choice. Keep in mind this is an extremely expensive lens, more than most cameras but it will likely never need to be replaced.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nikon-afs-24-70-f2-8-widezoom-lens/10113487.aspx?

Would I suggest buying this lens for a starter photographer? Likely not, unless you were extremely passionate about photography, had the money to spend, and made good use out of it. Or at least 2/3 of those factors.

Remember, buying the most expensive camera gear will get you part of the way, but technique is just as (or more) important. You don't buy a DSLR to leave it in auto mode.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Oracle

Great string on lens choice @BBYTerence

I agree with @xl and @Computers_Mike, the importance of the "go-to" or "Prime lens" is critical, and most do rely on 18-55, but there are those that would be ok with 18-200 and would be willing to sacrifice a bit of portability, to quality shots.

I recall a thread I started some time ago, and @xl and @w1zzard enlightened me about the importance of lenses.

Legendary Epic Genius

We own a Canon T4i, and while we have a small gambit of lenses (Macro, Portrait, Telephoto), I find that my wife tends to default back to the 18-135mm lens that came with the camera. It's extremely versatile.

JB

Legendary Luminary

99% of the time I use my Sony 16-50 f/2.8.  However looking back, maybe I should have opt for Sony Zeiss 16-80 which gives a a little longer reach.

Community Manager
0 Kudos

This is all great info on lenses!

Thanks for all your thoughts and insights. Smiley Happy

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator