Pioneer
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

PSP and GPS Coverage

Hi, 

Does anybody know if the PSP (bought 2011) will cover the battery of my Garmin GPS? The GPS runs out of battery faster than Usain Bolt. 

Please help!

Thanks!

JS

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: PSP and GPS Coverage

Can you clarify the make and model of the GPS?  How long does the battery last in minutes?

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Hi, yes, it is a Garmin Nuvi 1390 LMT. If I fully charge the battery, it will be gone in 30 minutes.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If not 30 minutes... how long were you expecting to be on battery life?

• are you set to maximum brightness?  What happens if you set it to a lower brightness?
  • are you indoors where satellite reception is poor?  Does it improve when you are outdoors?

The Nuvi were designed to be plugged in to your car during operation?  Are you not doing this?

Pioneer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I would be expecting something reasonable - 1.5 to 2 hours. It's in 50% brightness which is just right. Too low and I wouldn't be able to see anything. I always use it with good reception (4-5 bars).  The Nuvi is designed to be plugged in for long-term driving and the battery is designed to last more than 30 minutes.

Legendary Luminary

if the battery is built into the unit and is not user replacable the battery is covered

however if you can access the battery, to swap it out (much like a laptop) then it is not covered 

bby wizkid
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Don't you plug in your GPS into your car charger?

Pioneer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you Wizard!

Highlighted
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

As stated on the owner's manual for your Nuvi 1390 regarding battery life and longevity do not leave exposed to direct sunlight, fully discharge the battery before recharging it, never disconnect unless fully charged. it takes up to 4Hours to charge, and CAN last UP to 3 hours depending on useage.

As rechargeable batteries develop a "memory" of charge, if not used as directed,battery life will be compromised.

This is normal for ALL rechargeable batteries. even NiMH can develop a memory, though they are more resistant to failure than NiCad if not used properly.

One more note, extreme temperatures will affect a battery as well, be it heat or cold.

Keep in mind re: Performance Service Plan, it emulates the manufacturer's warranty plus performance features of all related components against Manufacturer's defects.

-Whenever possible use a wall charger to charge a rechargeable battery, most all car chargers will charge up to approx. 85%, despite showing a full charge.

-Never use a warm battery

- Never keep a battery on a charger for longer than needed.