Legendary Epic Genius

Geek Squad Screen Protector Installation

[ Edited ]

I was just wondering, does the Geek Squad at Best Buy install all sorts of screen protectors, or is that service limited to what is sold by Best Buy?  In other words, if I were to bring the phone and screen protector in, will the Geek Squad install it for me (for a fee, of course), or is that only done as part of the setup of a new phone purchased at Best Buy?

Thanks!

JB

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Geek Squad Screen Protector Installation

Hey @Juice0904

Yes, someone can also bring in their own screen protector, and Geek Squad will professionally install it for a fee (I'm not sure what the exact fee is).

I've been told that Best Buy also has their in-house brand, Clearplex. It has 1000 devices that are currently in the system to “cut” from cameras, to smartphones, to camcorders, to apple watches. If a model is not available, Geek Squad might be able to professionally measure the screen size on a new or one-off device, and add it to the Clearplex system for it to be available within a couple days or so.

Perhaps @Elico47 and @Computers_Mike could confirm. 

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Legendary Epic Genius

Awesome! Thanks! Just ordered a new phone with screen protectors for my wife, but I don't want to attempt to install myself. I've screwed up more than my fair share in the past.

JB

Legendary Oracle

Hey @Juice0904 and @BBYTerence Smiley Happy, Yes, the Geek Squad and / or Best Buy Mobile staff will be happy to install your screen protector.

Yes, there is a minimal fee of $10 from what I remember.

Legendary Epic Genius

Ahoy maties!

I will also bring a word of caution, while we can install any screen protector; and the fee is $10 for phones $20 for tablets - it is not always possible that every store will, and here is why.

Suppose you purchase a screen protector from a competitor and bring it over to us for installation - what happens if the screen protector has a defect in the plastic? Or what if the Agent is not skilled enough (lets be honest here not everyone is a professional) and finally, what if during the installation there is an error - mistakes happen from time to time.

If its something we sell in the store, such as Clearplex, Otterbox, Zagg Invisishields, we can easily grab another one off the shelf as a replacement. This will not be the case should an outside product be brought in the store. Then at minimum we have a poor customer experience, and still no screen protector installed; or potentially with a bubble in it.

I will say that I love clearplex installations, the solution used makes them super easy for anyone (almost) to install correctly the first time. And to top that off, they can also be easily fixed provided its done within a few minutes of being installed. Other screen protectors that are a 'dry' application such as those cheap ones that come in a pack of 2 or 3 for $15 or even the Otterbox screen protectors included in the cases are a hit/miss. I've gotten pretty good with them now but I've had to get creative a few times to get bubbles out, not to mention my first few installs were less than stellar.

I do encourage the Clearplex brand, while the upfront charge may be 'a lot' relative to other brands, the lifetime warranty at ANY of our stores in Canada is hard to beat.If another one of those brands starts to bubble or peel from just general wear/tear, it will likely not be replaced for free.

Hope that helps.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Computers_Mike

Thanks for the info! I was not aware about the ClearPlex option. I've cancelled the order of screen protectors and will go with this service at Best Buy.

I looked it up on the Best Buy website, and I know I can't discuss prices here, but is the price listed just for the screen protector itself, and then the nominal fee for installation would be charged on top of that? It's not incredibly clear (ha) on the product page.

Thanks for the info!

JB

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

The price is with install, as the Labour charged packages in with the shield.

I had a good chuckle with that pun lol.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627