Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

usb problem

I have a USB stick that is no longer being recognized by my laptop or my Mac. Is there a way to get it fixed or the files on it retreived? Can Geek Squad do this?

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Re: usb problem

Sounds like its toast, is there files on it that you can not live without? Recovery options will likely end up costing a lot, depending on how the usb is damaged

Legendary Epic Genius

Hi there,

you can definitely bring the USB stick to your local Geek Squad for us to check it out.

As Drax mentioned though, it can get very expensive, very quickly for data recovery services.

But to answer the first part of your post, there is no way to 'fix' a usb stick that has been damaged, or any other storage media for that matter.
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Epic Genius

Not sure what you mean by your last statement, Mike.

Spinning disk drives can be recovered professionally.  Of course it depends on the extent of the damage done.

USBs, while more difficult, can be recoverable, but it would require more specialized tools and is usually not worth the cost of repair.

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

OP said is there any way to 'fix or retrieve files on it.' And to me that is asking for two different things. First being the continued use of the storage medium, the second extracting the data from it.

As such I responded with, yes we provide data recovery services.

But you cannot 'fix' damaged media of any kind, once its broken, its broken permanently. Extract whatever data possible and purchase a new storage medium to place said data onto.
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Pioneer
0 Kudos

first u check the diferrent usb storage device it works on your laptop or pc, if work it means u have usb probelm ,, clean the usb with thinner ith cotton,,,,