Kid_Icarus
0 Kudos

Another person needing laptop advice!

So I purchased this model from Asus about a week back when it was on sale for $569.99. I was originally looking at this Acer Aspire TimelineX but somehow missed the fact that it was 14" (I was looking for a 15.6) until I got to the store and made a last minute switch. I'm now having second thoughts and would like some advice if anyone can help.

I'm really not crazy about the Asus. I really don't like the keyboard (I do a lot of writing), the battery life is okay but not amazing, the 750 Gig HD is actually two separate drives and a couple of other minor issues. I was told by the Best Buy employee (who was very helpful) that Asus tends to have a better build so he recommended it.

My bottom line is that I really don't want to go much over $500, don't do any sort of graphic design, play most of my games on consoles, etc. But I would like something decent that will last me a good few years. I know it may be stupid but a good keyboard is important as I do a lot of researching and writing. I was set on 15.6" but am now willing to go 14. Also I'm inherently distrustful of AMD processors but I don't know if there's any good reason for that.

Again I really like the Acer  but if there's anything else someone can recommend I'd be very grateful!

Kevin_Patrick
Best Buy
0 Kudos

Re: Another person needing laptop advice!

Hi,

i personally also feel that asus has a better build quality and also i like the look and feel of their computers. 

There is only one computer that i would recommend The Asus R500A-BB71-CB. i have actually never seen such a computer with high specs in this price point. 

it might a bit more powerfull computer for what you use it for. You might not even notice any difference in the speed between the asus you were talking about and this one. But for the long the long run its worth spend extra money on a Quad-Core i7 rather than a Dual Core i5. And BestBuy also Has a new LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE that if the SAME MODEL product goes on sale either through bestbuy or any authorised canadian retailer within 30 days of your purchase, BestBuy will Beat the price (Terms and Conditions apply). 

If you have any more questions let me know. i'll be happy to help you. 

- Kevin Patrick
(Sales Supervisor, Edmonton South Common #934)
Anything posted by me is helpful information (my personal opinion) and is not the opinion or view of Best Buy. It May contain information and links from other blogs/forums/websites.
Kid_Icarus
0 Kudos

Re: Another person needing laptop advice!

Hi Kevin,

Thanks very much for the advice. The Asus you linked to really looks like a great machine (especially the i7 processor) and for that price point you're right, it's hard to go wrong. But I decided to return the original Asus that I purchased, got the Acer Aspire TimelineX and am very happy with it so far. Besides I really didn't want to go much over $500 and $550 was my absolute maximum. The price might drop on the other machine in the next thirty days but then it might not...no guarantees there. But like I said I'm really liking the machine I have so far and while I can't speak as to the build quality myself I really do like the look and feel of the TimelineX.

Thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated.