Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Ask all your Windows 10 questions here!

Good to know thanks. 

So if I change hardware pieces then I likely have to jump through all the hoops of calling microsoft to activate?

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

It should be similar to the way it was handled starting XP.   External peripherals would not trigger activation failures, as well as one or two minor changes (such as upgrading hard drives or optical drives).   However, major changes will, such as motherboards (because nowadays network cards are almost always built into the mobo, and network card's MAC address - being unique in nature - gets a significant rating on whether activation gets triggered).

0 Kudos

Ok,  I think it used to be 3 pieces or more for activation, which a Motherboard usually contains more than 3 critical pieces. Still a bit more of a pain then just having a key to put in but its acceptable

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

I still remember when very first machine with XP, motherboard was just that - motherboard; I bought separate sound card, network card and video card in it (and researched the heck out on which models were the best yet I could still afford).  When I upgraded the CPU + mobo, yet keeping the sound and network cards, it did not gave me problems in terms of activiations.

Now, it's pretty much a norm to see all those of those items being built onto the mobo, so yes - replacing the mobo now will virtually guarantee it will trigger activation. 

In XP, the trigger for "number of items change" is 6 if NIC is not involved, 4 if NIC is involved.  It should be similar for subsequent versions of Windows:

"Microsoft defines "substantially different" hardware differently for PCs that are configured to be dockable. Additionally, the network adapter is given a superior "weighting." If the PC is not dockable and a network adapter exists and is not changed, 6 or more of the other above values would have to change before reactivation was required. If a network adapter existed but is changed or never existed at all, 4 or more changes (including the changed network adapter if it previously existed) will result in a requirement to reactivate."

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Regarding DVD playback:

Windows itself cannot playback DVDs without the additional app called Windows DVD Player app.  For users that upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 versions with Media Center, the DVD Player app gets downloaded automatically.  But if you do fresh install, it won't get downloaded, nor for those with new Win10 PCs.  For users that are not qualified and want the DVD app, it will cost you US$15 (CDN$17.xx) via the Windows Store.  

You can also use other alternative programs (such as VLC or WinDVD) to watch DVDs under Win10.  BTW, this app works with DVDs only - not Blu-ray.

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Trying to upgrade my windows 8 laptop, but can't since it says it is a volume licensed version. I bought this laptop 1 year ago from Future shop (now Best Buy), why does it have a volume licensed version of Windows 8 on it? how do I get it upgraded to windows 10?

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I see Sony has discouraged Win10 updates at this time on their website.  A few that have gone to Win10 report their machines can't support higher resolutions.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sony+laptop+%22windows+10%22

I see a few drivers are available for some models.

0 Kudos

yeah i noticed that too with a sony i was fixing up for a friend. Sony seems to have dropped the ball as most other manufactures have said all their drivers are good to go

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sony isn't the only one having issues, I've had a few HP AIO's in particular have the network card drivers (LAN + WIFI) stop working, as well as on an Asus laptop. Incredibly annoying to fix. At least within 30 days you can revert back to the previous OS (if no solution is found of course) and still maintain all apps and data.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What chip do they use for th LAN in the HPs? Most of the machines I have done so far are usually using realtek or intel LAN which seem to work fine on windows 10