gabidamo999
0 Kudos

Build computer vs. Premade computer ?

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I am new here and I thought this was a good forum to get help for the new computer I want to get.
I just wanted to know what was the best choice between two computers.
The specs are almost the same, but note that with the one from my cutom build I have not Windows 7 (+100$),neither a mouse or a keyboard.

This computer from best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ibuypower-ibuypower-extreme-desktop-gaming-computer-featuring-in... 1134$ Shipping/taxes + Mouse and keyboard

Or my own build from another site 1077$ Shipping/taxes(Would be my first attempt at building a PC)

Thank you in advance for your answers!

von_alka
Best Buy
0 Kudos

Re: Build computer vs. Premade computer ?

Hi - You post a great question: build your own or buy pre-built?

I have personally gone with both options over the years based on what I was looking for in a computer. 

The advantage of buying a pre-built computer is that everything is put together and working when you open the box - this is especially nice if you are not very tech savvy and don't feel 100% comfortable building a computer yourself or if you want something working right away and don't have the time and patience to build it yourself.  Also, for warranty you have one place to go instead of having to deal with the individual parts manufacturers should there be a problem.  The gaming computers like iBuypower are great because they use many of the same parts you would use if you did build it yourself, plus they have been assembled and tested for you in advance to ensure a high performance experience when you get it home.

The advantage of building your own is that you get the satisfaction of picking out the parts you want and the fun of building it - this is really the main thing as building a computer can become more of a never ending hobby as you constantly want to be tweaking it and updating it.  Most people who build their own computer do NOT do it to save money and typically spend much more than they would have if they bought a pre-built system - as your own research shows by the time you add Windows, mouse, & Keyboard you would be more expensive than the iBuypower rig.

Keep in mind that Bestbuy.ca sells all the parts as well, so if you do decide to build a computer yourself you can buy the parts from Best Buy and get the benefits of support, hassle free returns, free shipping, and Reward Zone bonus points.  

Either way you go, Best Buy can help make sure you have the best experience.

cloakster
Emerging Member
0 Kudos

Very well put Von_alka, it's definitely more about the experience of building and tweaking it than anything else.

LurkingBus
0 Kudos

It depends what  you are using the computer for. If you are using it for gaming I would suggest building it so you can customize it to the kinds of games your playing. If your using for things that don't require allot of power, than I would buy a premade.

I hope this helped.

SonicBoom
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All good posts so far.  I agree with everything that has been said.

Having said that, if you are asking if you should build it or buy it, you should probably buy it.

PCs are pretty complicated machines nowadays and unless you are REALLY into it, I wouldn't suggest doing it.  Definitely not to save money.

I have built mine before, and I have bought pre-built ones too.  Even if you buy a pre-built computer from a local store, you have to make sure that all of the specs match and that all of the parts work well together.  They could work fine separately, but you could have some mismatch between certain parts where a problem would occur once every two weeks.  This is a nightmare to solve, even for the most sophisticated computer technicians.

If you are a Computer Engineer, or are really keen to learn about this stuff, then go ahead.  But if you just want the darn thing to work, I would recommend buying a pre-built one.  I would buy a machine that they have made a million copies of so that they would work out all of the bugs and if there was a problem, I could just call a hotline and someone would give me a fix over the phone or Internet.

Mind you, I have been through all that before and there is nothing worse than spending time and money building a system of your dreams only to have some minor fault prevent you from running a PC game at its highest resolution.  That ticks me off to no end!  Nowadays I just want the darn thing to work.

That's my two cents.  The choice is up to you, but I would recommend buying a pre-built name brand, just as I would recommend getting a medical doctor with the most experience possible.

Link1380
Emerging Member
0 Kudos

It depends on what you want...the prebuilt ones are always a pain to upgrade, as they do contain cheaper parts for the motherboard etc.

Also, if you do decide to build your own there are specialty stores that sell computer parts. Bestbuy does sell parts, but they are overpriced...most people build pc's with the intention that the built pc will be much better than an equally priced prebuilt one. For laptops there is really no other option, but for desktops build it urself if u can or else get it built from the same store u buy the parts for an extra $50.

RiddyRuckson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Building your own computer is always, and I mean ALWAYS the better option. If you are able to build your own computer, then buying one is a complete rip-off.

jimmysask
0 Kudos

I've done both. As noted, it depends on the purpose for the system.For a basic internet box that most of my friends and family want, I cannot build to even remotely similar cost when including software. However, for that purpose pretty much any bottom end system these days will serve quite happily.

I typically look at building when I working on a mid or high end system. I will often spend about $150 more than I would to buy a system, but I get exactly what I want, without compromising in some way. My experience is that when buying a system, there is almost always one or two things I don't need included in the pre-built system, and something that I want that is not included, and requires me to go 2 or 3 models up to get. This is commonly things like faster RAM, high RPM or SSD hard drives or higher end video cards, or a CPU that is not one of the 4 or 5 specific models currently in favor with the big manufacturers. I will also splurge a little on a higher end power supply, and a better case with larger, quieter fans (and just because I can, usually something that looks unique - my current case is the Antec Skeleton - google it. The power supply and case are often the biggest reason I spend more on building). I also like the flexibility to choose the keyboard and mouse preferred by the user - some like wireless, multimedia keys, special ergonomic considerations, etc.

I am not fond of the argument that because there are millions turned out, that the issues in a design will get caught and corrected. I went through no less than 3 different Toshiba laptops that would shut themselves off randomly, only to eventually get out of Toshiba that the issue was that when stepping down power to CPU as part of power management settings, they stepped it down too far, and starved the CPU of power. Their solution - turn off the power management features that helped save on battery life. The simplest route I have found to ensure compatibility is to look your chosen motherboard's hardware compatibility list. The manufacturer will typically have a sizable list of hardware that they have specifically certified to work properly with the given chipset.

The other argument noted - only having a single manufacturer to deal with for warranty/hardware issues also has a flip side. Typically, they warranty that hardware for about a year. Individual components are often warrantied much longer. Hard drives can be anywhere from 1-5 years. RAM is often lifetime. Motherboards and video cards are often 2-3 years. Power Supplies can be several years. 

There is no right or wrong answer here. I personally build because it allows me to get exactly what I want for roughly similar cost as buying a prebuilt, without compromising on any points.

von_alka
Best Buy
0 Kudos

Some good replies everyone - really helpful!! :smileyhappy:

One thing to keep in mind is that the original question was comparing building vs. buying an iBuypower gaming PC.  The nice thing with the iBuypower systems that you see online at Bestbuy.ca is that they are all made with good quality components in small batches based specifically on the requests of the computer buying team at Best Buy, so it is like a system you would build yourself, except someone has already built it & tested it for you to make sure everything works properly.

Mooks
Best Buy
0 Kudos

The iBuyPower and CyberPower PC's are actually very good value.  If you shop around and compare costs, prices, etc., you'll find that you won't actually save a lot of money by building yourself.  These products are pretty aggressively priced and they're pretty nice systems put together by brand name parts. 

I recently built a computer myself, not to save money but just for the fun of it.  As mentioned, it's defininately rewarding and for those that enjoy building or creating, it's a great feeling when the computer turns on for the first time.  In doing so, it also forces you to learn a new skill, which actually could come in handy in the event something goes wrong with your computer and you need to replace a part or troubleshoot. 

Warning - it can become pretty addictive.  Once you start to invest in your system, you suddently find yourself craving the latest and greatest parts.  A GTX 690 would look so nice in my rig... :smileywink:

Shop online at www.bestbuy.ca
Follow us on Twitter @BBYCanada