nontech
0 Kudos

Can I put a wireless router in my basement

I want to go WiFi in my house, my only problem is that my demarcation point for my internet is in my basement and my house is not wired with cable.  If I put a wireless router in my basement, should I be able to get good signal strength even on my second floor?  any thoughts?

lazz
0 Kudos

Re: Can I put a wireless router in my basement

Lots of factors when considering signal strengh of wifi. Normally, from basement to first floor, it's not that bad and you will get a signal strong enough for connections. However many things will reduce that signal like the following, but not limited to:

- Is the router in the middle of the basement or on the edge of a wall, so going from one side of the house to the other, you'll lose more signal because it's going in a straight line, so even if there is only 1 foot between floors, the signal is travelling through way more "floor" because of  the straight line path.

- Is the main beam of your house a Steel I beam? or is it wood? In my house, i lose more signal because I have a steel girder as my main support.

- how much ventilation between (metal in general) between the router and device.

- Lots of walls/rooms/etc between?

- Electrical devices?

- many other factors that you just can't really list in a single post.

mainly, your best bet is to try it out and see if you get good signal. If not, there are many options available to you. One being to create a second wifi access point, or even use a signal booster to achieve better signal upstairs. Another option to you which is slightly newer is to use a Powerline network, where you can use your existing electrical outlets as access points to your network. It's a slightly more costly solution, but seems to work decent based on other people's reviews.  

I personally use 2 routers to get better signal. plug 1 into the other, and boom, 2 access points on the east and west of my house. It's a solution that works for me, in my situation.

xl
Plug-in Legend
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Other things to try...

• changing the antenna orientation
  • getting better external antennas
  • placing the antenna in a pot, metal steamer, or wok to focus the enegy upwards (directional antennas)
lazz
0 Kudos

"placing the antenna in a pot, metal steamer, or wok to focus the enegy upwards (directional antennas)"

Interesting, never thought of trying that. I can just picture adding coffee tins to my dlink 655 routers. haha. 3 coffee tins pointing towards my laptop.

xl
Plug-in Legend
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ooops, there was a typo... I should have said to drop the "router" into a pot, steamer or wok.  Many routers don't come with external antennas, so your only option is to drop the entire device in.

von_alka
Best Buy
0 Kudos

Most networking companies suggest placing the wireless router as close to the center of your home as possible, however depending on the size of your home many times you can place the router in the basement or top floor and still get a signal throughout the house. Lazy and XL both make some good points and in addition you may want to visit a Best Buy store and talk to a Geek Squad agent about the size of your home to see what they would recommend
LinksysCanada
Vendor
0 Kudos

You gotta love the creativity of the routers + metal pots. I'm not sure I want my house to look like that.

Great tip on asking a Geek Squad agent in store. There are a lot of options and with MIMO & 802.11n technology, you can certainly find a solution that will work for you.

Good luck!

Linksys Canada Team