Pioneer
0 Kudos

Laptop shuts off after 30 min after upgrade to Windows 10

I have a HP Probook 6560b that's from 2012.

It was given to me with 32 bit windows 7 in 2013 from its previous owner. Last month I put Windows 10 64 bit on there to be able to use all 8 gig of ram on the machine, instead of the 2.93 gigs it was letting. The PC worked fine for a couple of days, maybe even as much as a week. The started the problem of shutting off. Here's what I know, Windows 10 is not verified because I didn't want to buy it because I plan on buying a PC in the next 2-3 months and this was just suppose to work til then. The computer starts to heat up more and more through out the thirty minutes. It starts running in the 50s, the reaches 60s, 70s and the fan gets loud. Then in the last couple minutes it goes into the 80s and shuts off. I've also let it sit in the bios and it shuts off in there too. I've put this thing on a laptop fan thingy even put it above an ac on full blast, still does it. I've made sure windows is up to date, I've tried getting the newest drives but I could only find those for windows 8 for this laptop and installed those, I've done a repair of windows, I've reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery. Nothing works, can someone help me so I'm not computer less for the next few months?

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Laptop shuts off after 30 min after upgrade to Windows 10

Sounds like you need a new computer now.

I wouldn't try running Windows 10 on a 2012 computer.  Who knows what it has done to the setup or configuration at this point.  You could also have failing components.  It sounds to me that fixing the 2012 laptop is more trouble than it's worth.

I would either reinstall the old Windows 7 and just use it as-is, or if that is not an option, I would just bite the bullet and get a new laptop.

If you have more time than money, you can keep swapping out parts, but it sounds like a long and laborious process with little chance of getting it to work.

Legendary Epic Genius

The temperature rising would be related to either a bad cpu fan or the thermal paste has dried up. The windows 10 update was likely coincidental that you just happened to do it at that time.

But no software issue would cause the temperature to steadily rise to eventually have the computer turn off - and it turns off as a safety mechanism to prevent any further damage.

I agree with SonicBoom and its probably best to get a new computer, if you're tight on cash you can get a Best Buy card and finance it for 90 days no payments no interest, or 6 months with a $29 admin fee.

Or of course, get the fan replaced - but that'll be an easy $100 for parts/labour.

Best of luck
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Epic Genius

I do think that software can cause heat issues.  This is Windows 10 -- an operating system out in 2017 running on a 2012 laptop.  Everything on that laptop is controlled by software and the operating system is key to many ways in which the hardware is run in the background.

There is also the possibility that the OS is buggy because hardly anyone will be installing that and testing it on old hardware.

You have put yourself into a situation where a myriad of problems may have occured.  If you are lucky, changing the thermal paste or a fan may be all you need, but I can almost guarantee you that dirt and dust are likely a factor too.

If you insist on working on the old hardware, I would bring it back as closely as possible to its original state and just use it for what it's worth.  Otherwise, get a new laptop and start over.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

If you feel CPU is running too hard.... run the laptop in battery saver mode.  Put a timer on how long the laptop runs before shutdown.

If the machine is out of warranty.... I too recommend getting a new machine.

PS.... love my MSI GT60 that came out in 2012.  Almost 5 years old now and I expect to be using it for another 5 years.

Legendary Hero of the Universe

[ Edited ]

WIndows 10 will not cause the computer to overheat, it is clearly a hardware problem. I have plenty of old hardware running windows 10 with no issues

Could be a dead fan, or even just a fan that is full of so much dust and hair that it no longer spins.

You can try blowing out the vents with some compressed air and see if that helps, or if you are comfortable you can take the laptop apart and clean out and dust and dirt