ccc
ccc
0 Kudos

best antivirus software?

I have Panda AVPro 2011 and I am having a problem that it stops working everytime I run  the delete browsing history program and I have to reactivate it, not a big deal but I don't think this should happen.  The subscription runs out in November and I think I want to replace it with something else even though where I bought my laptop says this is the best AV software.

Consumer reports says Bitdefender is the best but I read in the bestbuy reviews that it is hard to install.  I don't need that hassle because I am not that computer savy.

Opinions on best AV software would be appreciated.

Thank you

xl
Plug-in Legend
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Re: best antivirus software?

[ Edited ]

A few thoughts...

• do you just want an antivirus protection?  What about software firewalls and performance tuning utilities that are available in "suites"?
  • Consumer Reports is a start, but also check ratings from other resources.
  • New 2012 products are rolling out from vendors in the Fall, there's little need to rush into a purchase, but now is the right time to do some planning.
  • I like Norton....

ccc
ccc
0 Kudos

Thanks for your info.  Yes I want all the protection I can get.  Firewall, anti virus, anti spyware and whatever else is necessary. 

I had Norton on my old laptop I bought from Bestbuy but for some reason which I can't remember I deleted it and tried McAfee, then I went to Bell Security (switched because it was free with internet subscription) didn't like that so I ended up with Panda now.

xl
Plug-in Legend
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Security and protection comes in layers...  some people just want the basics.  But the suites are just a little more and well worth the extra protection for novices.

Antivirus Suites are usually released in the Spring, so it won't make a difference between now and when your November subscription expires.

Keep your eyes open for sales on 360...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/norton-360-5-0-pc/10162818.aspx

Nitro
Aspiring Member
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My personal recommendation for an A/V Suite is Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS)

It does everything that Norton IS does, but without slowing down your computer (it uses less resources)

and I find it's user interface allot more user friendly.

If you want Parental control too, then look at Kaspersky PURE 

I can't tell you how many computers I have taken off Norton products and installed Kaspersky.

Everyone always comments on how much faster their computer is after I'm done with it

It often goes on sale here at BB for $30, and sometimes as low as $20 (One year - 3 computer license)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/kaspersky-internet-security-2011-3-users/10153032.aspx?path=b3af...

rippleman
0 Kudos

been in computers now for about 20 years... seen alot of things come and go...  some companies stay top for a couple years, then go down hill, then get better again... all one big rollor coster ride. BUT in the last 4 years for me, only 1 company still keeps me safe from anything i have encountered. I surf questionable websites, download movies, install warez files, etc etc and EACH time the one product that holds the line is www.malwarebytes.com pro version. Thats it... no fancy suites of layered protection, no all-in-one "we do everything" programs, nothing but just striagth forward easy protection. And the pro version is even only just a one time fee... no yearly fees... buy and forget.... The free version is awesome too but offers no real-time protection, it only cleans up once you have an infection. Buy the pro, its cheap.

nintensity
Aspiring Member
0 Kudos

I've never had any problems with Norton. If I used a PC, I would definitely buy Norton AntiVirus simply because it serves it purpose to remove any spam/viruses that accumulates over time, as well as protect my computer from incoming viruses.

But yet again, i'm a Mac user, virus free! Yay! :smileyhappy:

Screwy
0 Kudos

im not sure what kind of thing you are looking for but ive been using panda cloud antivirus since its beta days and i havent turned back since, ive tried kaspersky/norton/bitdefender/a few others and to me none compare

panda cloud is 100% free though it is very lightly ad supported and has an option to remove the ads the best part about this "suite", if youd like to call it one, is the lightest av out there and never needs definitions updates as it is all done through the cloud

alot of people are going to say "you need internet for it to work" but if you dont have internet the need for an av suite is virtually diminished(never said fully)