Forristal
0 Kudos

Re: price match policy/.price protection

[ Edited ]

MarkBern wrote:

"limited time offer is exactly what it sounds like - any discount that's being offered for a limited time.  While I think the company is pretty good about matching what we refer to as "regular" sales, they're certainly not obligated to, as per the wording of the policy.  It's not at all ambiguous."

As I mentioned previously, every sale is a limited time offer. I don't understand what is the distinction between what you call regular sales and non-regular sales?

In any case, it's good to have it stated clearly here, that Best Buy's price guarantee does not extend to sales. I just wish that this was worded more clearly in the policy, so that people don't have false expectations that Best Buy is actually going to give them money back if there another retailer temporarily adjusts their prices (ie, puts it on sale).

"We match the prices offered by competitors if follows all the guidelines, or if it's reasonable to do so."

I'm glad to know the price match will be done according to whether Best Buy considers it reasonable to do the price match or not. I was thinking it works according to some pre-determined criteria, but thanks for clarifying that the factor at play here is "if it's reasonable to do so".

I was slightly ambiguous in a small amount of wording, and I'll correct it here - the 'we' in the following sentence "While I think the company is pretty good about matching what we refer to as "regular" sales" refers to the employees in my store, and isn't part of any serious or real criteria.  As a general rule, I'd think of any 'regular' sale as one that lasts the Flyer week.  That's Friday-Thursday at Best Buy, but might be a different set of days somewhere else.  If a competitor is willing to keep up a price for an entire week, we'll usually be willing to match it but aren't obligated to under the 'limited time offer' category, which brings me to your second issue with my post.

I worded that line as carefully and correctly as possible.  We match if it fits the criteria OR if it's reasonable to do so.  This lines up with "limited time offers" referring to anything that lasts for a limited time.  The criteria are predetermined - as per the printed policy.  Do we sometimes match things that don't qualify (like my so-called 'regular' sales?) Absolutely we do - We actually do it (much) more often than not - but if it's in violation of part of our guarantee, it's up to the discretion of whomever you're working with.

If you want the firm criteria, they're in this forum thread, they're on our website and they're posted (in large letters) on the walls of our stores (twice over, in the case of my store), but we do go beyond those to try to accomodate customers when we can.  It never hurts to check, anyway - the worst that can happen is a discerning manager has to turn you down.

MarkBern
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Forristal wrote:

I worded that line as carefully and correctly as possible.  We match if it fits the criteria OR if it's reasonable to do so.  This lines up with "limited time offers" referring to anything that lasts for a limited time.  The criteria are predetermined - as per the printed policy.  Do we sometimes match things that don't qualify (like my so-called 'regular' sales?) Absolutely we do - We actually do it (much) more often than not - but if it's in violation of part of our guarantee, it's up to the discretion of whomever you're working with.

If you want the firm criteria, they're in this forum thread, they're on our website and they're posted (in large letters) on the walls of our stores (twice over, in the case of my store), but we do go beyond those to try to accomodate customers when we can.  It never hurts to check, anyway - the worst that can happen is a discerning manager has to turn you down.

I did read the written policy, that was the reason I posted here in first place. My point was not about the fact that Best Buy denies price matching items on sale in other stores, my point was about the price guarantee policy which excludes items on sale at other stores, and as you mentioned it's up to the manager to make a voluntary decision to match a sale at another store for a customer.

The policy does indeed say that limited-time offers are excluded from the price-match policy. As you have explained that means that Best Buy is not oblidged to price-match weekly sales since they have expiration dates, and if it does price-match that, it's because of the discretion on part of the managers.

I understand that, and that's reasonable if Best Buy includes that in the policy but I propose that we avoid misleading the common folks. When in big fat letters it's written on the site and in the store "Price Guarantee - we will beat any price anywhere", people start assuming that any price really means any price, whereas now I am aware that in reality the policy excludes temporary price adjustments at other stores (a flyer sale, commonly).

Thanks for clarifying.

Woodrow
0 Kudos

So, here it is just over a year after the last post on this thread and nothing has changed.

I made a purchase just after Christmas and tried to get a price beat for an online competitor's price.  It was denied because it was a "Boxing Week" sale.  Lets not pretend like everything is written in clear, concise language:

1) The link to the online form is on the bestbuy.ca site

2) The online form itself is on the **competitor**.ca site.

3) The "language" on the BB site says they won't match Boxing Week sales.

4) The "language" on the **competitor** site (where the form and the detailed conditions are) says Boxing Week in one spot, and Boxing Day in another.

The response I got to this first attempt was (paraphrasing) "We're human and we make mistakes, but we reserve the right to change/correct/alter the conditions whenever we see fit"

So I waited until Jan 2 (based on my understanding of the unit of "weeks") when the "Boxing Day/Week" sale would no longer apply only to be told on the second attempt "sorry, it's a limited time offer because the competitor website says the sale ends today".  Unfortunately for BB, the competitor website has said that their offer ends THAT day, EVERY day, for the last 8 days.  To me, it would seem that this matches the definition of a longer term sale (being that it's been the same price for 8+ days) and should not be considered "limited time", contradicting the previous claim that "If a competitor is willing to keep up a price for an entire week, we'll usually be willing to match it".  Note the carefully italicized "usually".  As in "if we feel like it".

I do want the "firm criteria".  I want that criteria to be clear, and consistent.  If it was rejected the second time because of a time limit, the it should have been rejected the first time because of a time limit.  Otherwise, it just looks like they're clawing at any available detail that will get them out of the obligation, regardless of how slimy it makes them look.

But, remember, it really is at their discretion and can be changed/altered/ignored according to their mood.  Being that I expected this type of behaviour I never opened my purchase just to give myself an out; I can just return it to BB and order it from the competitor.  If I didn't open it then it wasn't really urgent for me, so waiting a few more days for the shipment wouldn't really bother me.

Now, in the bigger picture, is it better to have annoyed a customer over $100 and end up losing $700 in addition to all future purchases?  I, personally, have no problem waiting a few extra days to save money purely on principle.

The trend continues in the terms of this forum in relation to what we post:

Best Buy has the "... right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, communicate to the public, make available, publish, translate, copy, modify, adapt, create derivative works of, distribute, and display such Submissions..."

It's the "modify" and "adapt" that concerns me, but doesn't really surprise me based on what I've seen.  Best Buyer Beware.

Andre7
0 Kudos

Hi Woodrow,

Sorry for this bad experience. I have escalated your issue to our Customer Service Dept. Thanks for your patience

Plug-in | Join the conversation
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

See a great post? Click on the WHITE STAR to show your appreciation!
Follow us on Twitter @BBYCanada
xl
Plug-in Legend
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

I too would like clarification on the dates in the future.  On a visit to the store today, I see signage Boxing week is to January 9th?  Or is it just the great prices?

Forristal
0 Kudos

Wow.  That's a long post to try to address all of it.  I'm going to cherrypick, but if you feel like I glossed over something you consider to be really important, just make a mention of it.

"I made a purchase just after Christmas and tried to get a price beat for an online competitor's price.  It was denied because it was a "Boxing Week" sale.  Lets not pretend like everything is written in clear, concise language:

1) The link to the online form is on the bestbuy.ca site

2) The online form itself is on the **competitor**.ca site.

3) The "language" on the BB site says they won't match Boxing Week sales.

4) The "language" on the **competitor** site (where the form and the detailed conditions are) says Boxing Week in one spot, and Boxing Day in another."

Not sure where this is coming from - the Best Buy policies and form are on the bestbuy.ca site, as well as the other brand's.  Here are the policies and here is the form.  Since the terms specifically out both Boxing Day and Boxing Week, I think it's fair to say that they're both excluded - I'm not sure how that's misleading.

"So I waited until Jan 2 (based on my understanding of the unit of "weeks") when the "Boxing Day/Week" sale would no longer apply only to be told on the second attempt "sorry, it's a limited time offer because the competitor website says the sale ends today".  Unfortunately for BB, the competitor website has said that their offer ends THAT day, EVERY day, for the last 8 days.  To me, it would seem that this matches the definition of a longer term sale (being that it's been the same price for 8+ days) and should not be considered "limited time", contradicting the previous claim that "If a competitor is willing to keep up a price for an entire week, we'll usually be willing to match it".  Note the carefully italicized "usually".  As in "if we feel like it"."

I'm not sure why you're distinguishing a limited time offer with a formal name from any other limited time offer.  I didn't write the policies, but I believe that Boxing Day (et al) was mentioned by name to help avoid confusion during what are typically the deepest sales of the year.  Regardless, a limited time offer is just that - any sale that happens for a restricted amount of time.  As I mentioned above, do we frequently match sales during the rest of the year?  Absolutely.  Is there a requirement that we do so?  Not according to the policy I'm reading.  I didn't italicize "usually" to be subtle or sneaky - I made it to overtly emphasize my point.  Special pricing with a scheduled end date forty-two days away is an awfully long sale, but it's still only available for a limited time.  That would be a limited time offer.

"I do want the "firm criteria".  I want that criteria to be clear, and consistent.  If it was rejected the second time because of a time limit, the it should have been rejected the first time because of a time limit.  Otherwise, it just looks like they're clawing at any available detail that will get them out of the obligation, regardless of how slimy it makes them look."

The firm criteria are laid out on the page above.  I personally think it's clear, but I guess consistency is up to the management of the stores responsible for enforcing the policies.  based on this comment:

Now, in the bigger picture, is it better to have annoyed a customer over $100 and end up losing $700 in addition to all future purchases?  I, personally, have no problem waiting a few extra days to save money purely on principle.

it seems that you're willing to permit inconsistent following of the policies as long as it favours customers - specifically, you'd like Best Buy to be honoring limited time pricing, and, as I've mentioned, the type of decision you're asking about is made frequently.  However, there absolutely are cases where exceptions can't be made, and it seems like that's what you're encountering now. 

Finally, in reference to this:

Being that I expected this type of behaviour I never opened my purchase just to give myself an out; I can just return it to BB and order it from the competitor.

With limited exception, this was unnecessary - most products feature a fairly liberal return policy that would have guaranteed you a full refund.

Woodrow
0 Kudos

To be accurate, the Best Buy policies and form are NOW on the bestbuy.ca site.  Obviously it's been fixed recently.  However, I replied to a message on Dec 28, 2013 from Pricebeatpromise@**competitor**.com that contains screenshots showing the process taking me from bestbuy.ca to **competitor**.ca via the links.  I'll leave them out of this post in the interest of saving space, but I can send them to you if you really need to see them.  The point being that it was confusing.

Regarding Boxing Day/Week... to be pedantic, Boxing Day is Dec 26.  Technically speaking, Boxing Week could mean the week leading up to, and including, Dec 26, or it could mean the week starting on Dec 26.  Looking at the post immediately preceding your last post and without knowing which store "XL" visited to be able to verify it myself, it would appear that Boxing Week could also mean 15 days from Dec 26 to Jan 9.  It would seem that Boxing "Week" is a little "misleading".

I'm not picking and choosing my meanings.  A sale, by definition, is a limited time offer.  Otherwise it would simply be the regular price.  Based on that definition, almost all price beat requests could all be denied unless the consumer could prove that the lower price was, in fact, the "regular" price of the competitor.

Yes, the criteria are laid out on the page.  But clearly and concisely?  No, not based on the existence of this original thread or the continuation of it.  And not as long as wording such as "usually" makes its way into the details.  And especially not with the following text in the response I received:

"Best Buy reserves the right to revoke or change any stated offer and correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions (including after an order has been confirmed)."

Again, part of the issue is the 2 separate Price Beat requests resulting in 2 distinctly different responses.  #1 was "the offer doesn't apply to Boxing Week sales, while #2 was "the offer doesn't apply to limited time offers".  The competitor, in no way that I can determine, was/is offering a Boxing Day/Week sale.  They are simply offering a sale.  Technically that would exclude them from that particular Price Beat limitation and, therefore (in my opinion), make the explanation in the first rejection invalid and inconsistent.  I also don't believe that competitors can be expected to adhere to a Boxing "Week" sale time period that Best Buy itself is unable to clearly define with absolute certainty and consistency across the board.

I was not asking for them to bend the rules, just for consistency.  I was, however, using your wording to illustrate the point that the "policy" seems more like a guideline than a rule specifically around you saying "If a competitor is willing to keep up a price for an entire week, we'll usually be willing to match it".  Either you will or you won't.  Either the "limited time offer" applies to any length of time or none at all.  Be consistent.  Otherwise, it simply looks like you are leaving yourself a very large loophole to apply wherever and whenever you so choose.

I think you misread what I meant about "waiting a few extra days to save money".  To be clear, I meant that I have no problem returning an item to a business in favor of ordering it from a competitor if it will save me money even if that means having to wait a few more days for that competitor to ship the item to me.

Lastly, I will agree that "most products feature a fairly liberal return policy".  But looking at the other 2 boxes on the shelf that had been somewhat carefully resealed, I chose to take the only one that had not been previously opened and did not open it partly to avoid being the cause of someone else having to make the same choice between new and not-so-new.  I also had no desire to cause myself the conversation that often follows trying to return an opened item.

Even in the interest of clarity, I apologize for another long post.

DA_Dave
Best Buy
0 Kudos

Re: price match policy/Price protection

Hey @Woodrow ,

Having not been part of the original conversation for the price beat, I don't know everything that was said, but I will try to help as much as I can.

Every customer facing policy will have a line to the effect of "Terms and conditions may change" because otherwise a screenshot or printout from previous years would be binding even if the terms had changed.  Every credit card, points card, and anything else that companies have terms and conditions for will have something like that to protect them from someone keeping an outdated copy of terms and trying to hold them to the old terms.  I know this is not what you are trying to do, I just wanted to explain the language.  In many policies it will say that the terms will be changed without notice since there is no feasible way to notify everyone of changes.  The line you quoted, 

"Best Buy reserves the right to revoke or change any stated offer and correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions (including after an order has been confirmed)."

refers to if there is an advertising error or something similar.  If we or a competitor have a misprinted flyer, a price error or something else like that, we have the right to fix it.  It does happen that prices, product descriptions, etc are misprinted either in the flyer or online, and when it happens we need to be able to fix it.  That is not to say that people are not compensated  compensated if it is our error, but that is on a case by case basis since it depends on the error.

The word usually makes its way into the conversation because every situation is different.  Since the policy doesn't change every day, they try to make it as broad as they can, but it isn't possible to cover everything.  There has to be room to leave it up to a judgment call since in some cases they can't predict what the sale will be.

Boxing Week is always the week following Boxing Day.  Boxing Day sales start on Boxing Day, and the Boxing Week sales are the sales held over following that.  That is the same with every store that I have seen, because before that they are Christmas Eve sales, or something similar.  They can't say which dates count as "Boxing Day" since the date will change year to year, and the policy might stay the same for longer.

I tried to cover as much as I could, but I am sure I missed something.  If there is anything I haven't mentioned, please let me know and I will try to respond promptly.

David G.
Multi-Channel Sales Assistant
Best Buy Kanata
(613)287-3912
SonicBoom
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The last post for this topic was on Nov 27, 2012 that is over a year ago.  

I don't think it's fair to accuse a retailer of forgetting about an issue when the customer hasn't done anything about it in over a year.

It could not have been that important of an issue if the customer failed to reply to this for over 13 months, if in fact it is even the same poster.  The user names are different.

DA_Dave
Best Buy
0 Kudos

I know, and I am hoping that the previous poster's problem as solved and they just did not come back to post the solution.  At the same time, I still want to try to help sort out any confusion the new poster has.

David G.
Multi-Channel Sales Assistant
Best Buy Kanata
(613)287-3912