Forristal
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Re: price match policy/.price protection

[ Edited ]

MarkBern wrote:

"limited time offer is exactly what it sounds like - any discount that's being offered for a limited time.  While I think the company is pretty good about matching what we refer to as "regular" sales, they're certainly not obligated to, as per the wording of the policy.  It's not at all ambiguous."

As I mentioned previously, every sale is a limited time offer. I don't understand what is the distinction between what you call regular sales and non-regular sales?

In any case, it's good to have it stated clearly here, that Best Buy's price guarantee does not extend to sales. I just wish that this was worded more clearly in the policy, so that people don't have false expectations that Best Buy is actually going to give them money back if there another retailer temporarily adjusts their prices (ie, puts it on sale).

"We match the prices offered by competitors if follows all the guidelines, or if it's reasonable to do so."

I'm glad to know the price match will be done according to whether Best Buy considers it reasonable to do the price match or not. I was thinking it works according to some pre-determined criteria, but thanks for clarifying that the factor at play here is "if it's reasonable to do so".

I was slightly ambiguous in a small amount of wording, and I'll correct it here - the 'we' in the following sentence "While I think the company is pretty good about matching what we refer to as "regular" sales" refers to the employees in my store, and isn't part of any serious or real criteria.  As a general rule, I'd think of any 'regular' sale as one that lasts the Flyer week.  That's Friday-Thursday at Best Buy, but might be a different set of days somewhere else.  If a competitor is willing to keep up a price for an entire week, we'll usually be willing to match it but aren't obligated to under the 'limited time offer' category, which brings me to your second issue with my post.

I worded that line as carefully and correctly as possible.  We match if it fits the criteria OR if it's reasonable to do so.  This lines up with "limited time offers" referring to anything that lasts for a limited time.  The criteria are predetermined - as per the printed policy.  Do we sometimes match things that don't qualify (like my so-called 'regular' sales?) Absolutely we do - We actually do it (much) more often than not - but if it's in violation of part of our guarantee, it's up to the discretion of whomever you're working with.

If you want the firm criteria, they're in this forum thread, they're on our website and they're posted (in large letters) on the walls of our stores (twice over, in the case of my store), but we do go beyond those to try to accomodate customers when we can.  It never hurts to check, anyway - the worst that can happen is a discerning manager has to turn you down.

MarkBern
0 Kudos

Re: price match policy/.price protection

[ Edited ]

Forristal wrote:

I worded that line as carefully and correctly as possible.  We match if it fits the criteria OR if it's reasonable to do so.  This lines up with "limited time offers" referring to anything that lasts for a limited time.  The criteria are predetermined - as per the printed policy.  Do we sometimes match things that don't qualify (like my so-called 'regular' sales?) Absolutely we do - We actually do it (much) more often than not - but if it's in violation of part of our guarantee, it's up to the discretion of whomever you're working with.

If you want the firm criteria, they're in this forum thread, they're on our website and they're posted (in large letters) on the walls of our stores (twice over, in the case of my store), but we do go beyond those to try to accomodate customers when we can.  It never hurts to check, anyway - the worst that can happen is a discerning manager has to turn you down.

I did read the written policy, that was the reason I posted here in first place. My point was not about the fact that Best Buy denies price matching items on sale in other stores, my point was about the price guarantee policy which excludes items on sale at other stores, and as you mentioned it's up to the manager to make a voluntary decision to match a sale at another store for a customer.

The policy does indeed say that limited-time offers are excluded from the price-match policy. As you have explained that means that Best Buy is not oblidged to price-match weekly sales since they have expiration dates, and if it does price-match that, it's because of the discretion on part of the managers.

I understand that, and that's reasonable if Best Buy includes that in the policy but I propose that we avoid misleading the common folks. When in big fat letters it's written on the site and in the store "Price Guarantee - we will beat any price anywhere", people start assuming that any price really means any price, whereas now I am aware that in reality the policy excludes temporary price adjustments at other stores (a flyer sale, commonly).

Thanks for clarifying.