Community Manager
0 Kudos

2015 Fitness Challenge!

[ Edited ]

Our team's treat table was overloaded this past holiday season and it seemed like everywhere you looked, there was some sort of gooey caramel treat making you say 'just one more". So @BBYLaura helped us out by putting together the UFC Challenge! 

It was simple, 25 work outs in the 31 days of January, we could all get a head start on the battle to bikini season and leave those buttery shortbread cookies in the dust behind us! This is what the tally board now looks like with just one week left: 

**Why yes, that is a donut box in the right hand corner and a treat tally right next to the UFC tally chart smileytongue:

I'm personally aiming for 30 work outs in 31 days and so far have 23 for 26! Since I'm pretty active on the regular, this hasn't been a huge change but I still found that I had to pay special attention to a few factors to keep up the pace! Our Plug-In bloggers have been writing all about these topics too so if you're struggling with the same, just follow the link to view a full article on the topic:

1) Giving your body the fuel it needs is huge! Not only did it help with getting in a good work out, I find it also helps to keep away cravings and maintain energy througout the day. 

Take a walk on the healthy side with slowcooker recipes

Smoothie recipes that will boost your energy levels

How to plan a healthy diet like a pro

2) Getting extra rest and recovery time, this meant a few more zzzzz's and renewing my yoga membership!  

Take time to treat yourself this holiday season

Duvets 101: What you need to know to get a better sleep

3) Keeping track of your gains, this could mean a smart scale or a plain old measuring tape. I use both sporadically and find when I think I just haven't been making any progress, I actually have! 

4) Planning your workouts, meals and cheat meals out in advance just sets you up for success in all those areas!

How To Live a Healthy Lifestyle Like a Pro

Weight No More: Fit Tips for every body

Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle is Within Reach for Everyone

So, in summary four weeks of mainly clean eating and daily work outs have me super motivated and feeling great! Have you been a part of a January challenge or focusing on any goals for healthy living? How has it been going? Share any gems you may have, we could all benefit from any tips and tricks! 

Also, if you have any ideas for what our team's February fitness challenge should be, we'd love to hear it! Smiley Very Happy  

BBYJuby
Community Coordinator
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Truth Seeker

Re: 2015 Fitness Challenge!

Admirable goals indeed and kudos to your and your team's progress to date!  

However, I'd like to embark on my new fitness program after the SuperBowl and Dine-Out Vancouver are over.........

Blogger

Great work Juby! It's been hard for me to stay motivated this year because we've been in the middle of a kitchen renovation and that means eating out a bit too much. My slowcooker and blender have saved me because I can literally plug them in anywhere and not worry about what's going to happen around dinner time.

Because I've had to rely on my slowcooker more and more when my stove was moved out for the reno, I dug up with some really creative recipes, and smoothies are something we've all been drinking to kick start our mornings instead of having the usual bowl of cereal.

Blogger

BBYJuby - Good job! I see your check marks are almost running off the board!

AMW - Yea these events are putting a damper on my clients goals too! Take it from me though, aiming to live a healthy lifestyle can be tough when you are pulled in various directions by external factors - friends, events (superbowl, dine out vancouver, weddings, baby showers, and the list goes on). The key is to create your OWN events. Say to yourself, ok this week I have x, y, and z events - I will choose to "cheat" on event "Y." This way you can enjoy the night guilt free and still maintain your healthy lifestyle. 

p.s. Check out these restaurants for Dine out, they have some healthier options: East is East, Morocco West, and Nandos. 

My challenge has been getting my own workouts in (January is a very busy month)! So interval training for 20 minutes is how I am doing it. 30 second sprints on the treadmill, doing that 10x gives me the sweat I need. 

In addition, doing full-body, multi-joint exercises like this are very efficient when I am short on time. 

BBYJuby wrote:

Our team's treat table was overloaded this past holiday season and it seemed like everywhere you looked, there was some sort of gooey caramel treat making you say 'just one more". So @BBYLaura helped us out by putting together the UFC Challenge! 

It was simple, 25 work outs in the 31 days of January, we could all get a head start on the battle to bikini season and leave those buttery shortbread cookies in the dust behind us! This is what the tally board now looks like with just one week left: 

**Why yes, that is a donut box in the right hand corner and a treat tally right next to the UFC tally chart smileytongue:

I'm personally aiming for 30 work outs in 31 days and so far have 23 for 26! Since I'm pretty active on the regular, this hasn't been a huge change but I still found that I had to pay special attention to a few factors to keep up the pace! Our Plug-In bloggers have been writing all about these topics too so if you're struggling with the same, just follow the link to view a full article on the topic:

1) Giving your body the fuel it needs is huge! Not only did it help with getting in a good work out, I find it also helps to keep away cravings and maintain energy througout the day. 

Take a walk on the healthy side with slowcooker recipes

Smoothie recipes that will boost your energy levels

How to plan a healthy diet like a pro

2) Getting extra rest and recovery time, this meant a few more zzzzz's and renewing my yoga membership!  

Take time to treat yourself this holiday season

Duvets 101: What you need to know to get a better sleep

3) Keeping track of your gains, this could mean a smart scale or a plain old measuring tape. I use both sporadically and find when I think I just haven't been making any progress, I actually have! 

4) Planning your workouts, meals and cheat meals out in advance just sets you up for success in all those areas!

How To Live a Healthy Lifestyle Like a Pro

Weight No More: Fit Tips for every body

Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle is Within Reach for Everyone

So, in summary four weeks of mainly clean eating and daily work outs have me super motivated and feeling great! Have you been a part of a January challenge or focusing on any goals for healthy living? How has it been going? Share any gems you may have, we could all benefit from any tips and tricks! 

Also, if you have any ideas for what our team's February fitness challenge should be, we'd love to hear it! Smiley Very Happy  

Asma Kassam, BHK
Practicing Kinesiologist
Highlighted
Community Manager

@AsmaKassam I've been doing 30 second sprint intervals on the treadmill too - great way to start your morning!

I need to get better at meal planning for sure - after a work out post-work, I'm always STARVING for dinner and the thought of driving home and spending an hour preparing something makes me feel light headed. Spending some time on the weekend, or even the night before, would help me be better prepared and less hangry come dinner time!

BBYLaura
Community Manager
Plug-in | Join the conversation