Luminary
0 Kudos

Cinavia Protection.

[ Edited ]

I am curious a little while ago I rented a movie in my area video store. When my family and I sat down to watch the movie within 20 minutes there was no volume and we were greeted with this message.

"“Audio outputs temporarily muted. Do not adjust the playback volume. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™ and is not authorized for playback on this device. For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com. Message Code 3.”

I found out that Cinavia Protection is an analog watermarking and steganography system developed by Verance, which is designed to stay within the audio signal and to survive all common forms of audio transfer to limit unauthorized uses of some movies and other filmed entertainment in Blu-ray Disc players. Blu-ray discs cannot easily get rid of this Cinavia protection. When playing media with the watermark embedded in the audio track on a system with Cinavia detection, your computer firmware will detect the watermark and check whether the device it is running on is authorized for that watermark.

My question while I see Google pages on how to deativate it; I choose not to because I see this as a benefit to stop the illegal piracy  of  movie? My question is has this occured to anybody else and do you agree with because for my part I do agree with this. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Cinavia Protection.

Cinavia has been around for the past few years.  If you are watching the original copy, you should never even know that it is there.

I don't really have a problem with it, but it can become an issue if I am trying to make backup copies for myself of movies which I already own.  I used to do this for kids movies but seldom need to anymore.

The price of media is so cheap now, it almost doesn't even make sense to make backups.

How it works is exactly how you described it.  The audio stops working after 20 min.