Luminary
0 Kudos

DC Cinematic Universe vs Marvel Cinematic Universe

[ Edited ]

BBYTerence wrote:

kaw wrote:

DavidLobo wrote:
That's awesome...I was looking for this! However, has this been confirmed as a steelbook? i know that is what the photos shows but it doesn't actually say it (like most BB steelbooks do) and it is not in their steelbook section. Can this be confirmed as a steelbook?

They have listings for the regular slip and also the deluxe edition as well.

So this one should be a steelbook but they must have just forgot to list it as one.

confirmation from @BBYTerence would be great tho! Smiley Happy 

I've reached out to ask for confirmation about this one, and I'll post once they get back to me. Thanks!

Thank You @BBYTerence,

I have already preordered it and if it is not a steelbook I will simply return it to the store.

I have another question to @BBYTerence and  anybody out there and this is just my personal opinion; but why are DC's original animated films and television series so good but their live action movies only so-so? I know there are some exceptions but I really enjoyed Under the Red Hood, Superman: Doomsday, Joker The Killing Joke for example but Superman v Batman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, The Green Lantern movie and so on. Why do they get it so wrong when their animated original movies are nearly perfect? I feel DC is ran by a huge regime where they think that making a universe in only 3 years with uninteresting cast members, terrible filmmakers who have notoriety, and that making everything dark a great movie. In short, they are a typical Hollywood studio that doesn’t understand its characters, stories or tries to make it better.

Granted on the flip side Marvels television series  and animated movies have been mediocre like the new series Iron Fist and Agent Carter; while their movies have been exceptional.  But, I truly am not that excited about the new DC's Wonder Woman and/or the Justice League movie. While I look forward to seeing all of Disney's Marvel Studio's new movie releases and the new Deadpool sequel.

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: DC Cinematic Universe vs Marvel Cinematic Universe

This thread was branched off from the one here.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Community Manager

Hey @bjmaxvin67.

I also think the DC TV shows are pretty well done. It definitely seems like the people who make the DC live action movies keep getting it wrong. Although entertained by the movies still, I was disappointed with them. Perhaps it's their vision for their cinematic universe and storytelling that doesn't sit well with us viewers. I'm interested to hear what some of the others think. 

Personally, I enjoy the Marvel movies much more. I really enjoy netflix series Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke CageIron Fist was underwhelming for me, but I still binged watched it over a weekend because I had to see it all! I'm excited to see the Defenders miniseries with all of those heroes teaming up. I'm excited for Netflix's Punisher too.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Luminary

BBYTerence wrote:

Hey @bjmaxvin67.

I also think the DC TV shows are pretty well done. It definitely seems like the people who make the DC live action movies keep getting it wrong. Although entertained by the movies still, I was disappointed with them. Perhaps it's their vision for their cinematic universe and storytelling that doesn't sit well with us viewers. I'm interested to hear what some of the others think. 

Personally, I enjoy the Marvel movies much more. I really enjoy netflix series Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke CageIron Fist was underwhelming for me, but I still binged watched it over a weekend because I had to see it all! I'm excited to see the Defenders miniseries with all of those heroes teaming up. I'm excited for Netflix's Punisher too.

Hey @BBYTerence

I do not know if you have seen the teaser trailer for Thor: Ragnarok this is why I am more of a fan of Marvel Studio movies. I really think it is going to blow away "Justice League" when both of them launches at the same month; but I will watch both movies though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqPGttjjOY

Legendary Epic Genius

I don't watch trailers anymore and I find that I enjoy films a lot more.

As for the DC vs. Marvel Universe films.  The Marvel films have been more successful, but are pretty cookie-cutter and predictable in my opinion.

I enjoy the X-MEN series of films more because they seem to have more character development, but the Avengers films and that whole universe is a lot of flash with little substance -- like a Jerry Bruckheimer film.

I love the DC Universe, but they have had a lot of missteps.  They did a great job with darker films like THE DARK KNIGHT and WATCHMEN, but unfortunately, they have set the tone for all films in that producers now think that all of the films have to be dark to be taken seriously.  I feel that they are trying to be more than the chop socky films from Marvel, but are failing do connect with audiences because their storytelling basics are flawed.

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SonicBoom wrote:

I don't watch trailers anymore and I find that I enjoy films a lot more.

As for the DC vs. Marvel Universe films.  The Marvel films have been more successful, but are pretty cookie-cutter and predictable in my opinion.

I enjoy the X-MEN series of films more because they seem to have more character development, but the Avengers films and that whole universe is a lot of flash with little substance -- like a Jerry Bruckheimer film.

I love the DC Universe, but they have had a lot of missteps.  They did a great job with darker films like THE DARK KNIGHT and WATCHMEN, but unfortunately, they have set the tone for all films in that producers now think that all of the films have to be dark to be taken seriously.  I feel that they are trying to be more than the chop socky films from Marvel, but are failing do connect with audiences because their storytelling basics are flawed.

Hey @SonicBoom,

Yes as you can tell I am a Marvel fan but and have to admit they even have had some missteps when it came to their movies X-Men: The Last Stand (2006), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009), Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

While, they did a great job with darker films like Christopher Nolan's THE DARK KNIGHT series and Zack Snyder's WATCHMEN film mainly because they stuck to the source material (on the whole) and fashioned a decent flick out of it. Apart from that, I can't watch anything Zack Snyder has done or had a hand in.

But for the most part Marvel plans and DC does not. Marvel has been planning out almost all of it's movies until 2019 while DC movies and it's attempts for a cinematic world are nothing more than a cluttered mess. Which why while the Marvel Cinematic Universe formulaic and cookie-cutter it is effective.

Another thing is that DC characters have always been rather limited in scope. Superman is a god who can basically save the world whenever he feels like it, and as such, not very interesting. Batman doesn't have any superpowers and and is a complete charisma vacuum (yes, iron man is a man in a suit but Tony Stark is someone you'd like to have a drink with).
Or in other words, Marvel characters have always been a lot more fun; but that is just my opinion.

One thing @SonicBoom I would find interesting though it would be hard to pull off would be a Justice League/Avengers crossover movie similar to the comics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JLA/Avengers. Unfortunately, I do not see that happening; but I have been wrong.

I do have one question are you familiar with Milestone Comics which were published and distributed by DC Comics, and the Static Shock cartoon series? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milestone_Media