Reply
Luminary
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook


SonicBoom wrote:

@bjmaxvin67, you're not intruding on our conversation since it's on an open forum!

 

I am aware of the BB US order for store delivery.  I have used this service in the past, however you have to be careful, especially if you are a SteelBook collector.

 

I recently received a BB US order from a colleague at our California office.  It was a HUNTER X HUNTER SteelBook.  My colleague is a nice guy, but not a SteelBook collector.  Unfortunately, it was crushed beyond belief as if an elephant had stepped on the top half of it.  By the time I received it, it was too late to do any returns.

 

I ended up reordering it online and this time sent it to a fellow SteelBook collector in Maine who was able to verify its condition once he received it.  

 

So if your sister is picking it up, I would give her a call and ask her to do a quick inspection of it for obvious defects before taking it home.

 

As for your question about Doctor Strange 3D, I am a 3D fan and I have heard a lot of good things about this movie in 3D.  I skipped it in theatres so that I could get the 3D Blu-ray when it comes out, so my answer would definitely be to go for the 3D version -- and get a 3D TV!

 

Having said that, I have my 3D Doctor Strange SteelBook on order from the UK.  It's the same price as the US one but includes shipping.

 

I know there is news lately about 3D being phased out of next gen televisions.  I believe it will be back in future TV generations.  I love my 3D TV and that would be my top requirement for all future TVs for me from now on.


Thank You @SonicBoom

 

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I have to admit she does not know anything about steelbook and questions why I like them; she did pick up the steelbooks of the movie Labyrinth, Rise of the Planet of the Ape and the sequel and a few others for christmas and they were in good condition; so I trust she will look at them before she purchases it. But I preordered 2-D Moana (they sold out of 3-D) and Sing in steelbook from USA Best Buy pre-order online I hope they come good codition since it will be mailed to her house instead of her picking it up. I will have to see but Thank You for your help.   

Luminary
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-17-2016

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook


pikachuforever wrote:

bjmaxvin67 wrote:
Also, I need some honest opinion it pertains to the steelbook versions of Dr. Strange 3-D and 2-D version; while I purchased the 2-D version from Best Buy Canada. I have noticed that some Best Buy stores in the US have it available but in small quatities in California (meaning 3 to 6 ) and they are dissappearing near where my sister lives. To be honest I do not have 3-D and may never get it; but I guess in my mind it is just the point of having the complete package. Should I just leave it alone or I am I being a be a Jack **S if I were to ask her to pick one up at the second closet Best Buy near her home ( the first one is sold out).

 

Thank You   


Hi @bjmaxvin67. No need for apologies.

 

I know @SonicBoom is all about the 3D, full well knowing it's in its dying days -- but I'm not a big fan. I've had a 3DTV for about 2 years now, and have used the 3D on it less than 10 times. It's enjoyable for a random one-off movie (planning on watching The Wolverine in 3D this week to prep for Logan), but I don't find it very useful on the whole. That and the lighting in your house has to be just right in order to properly experience all the effects. Plus, if you have been to a theatre lately and watched a 3D movie, I'm sure you can attest that not many 3D movies actually deliver a proper 3D effect. I know Rogue One looked amazing in IMAX, but the 3D did absolutely nothing for me.

 

If you do not have a 3DTV and don't plan on owning one in the near future, then I don't think it's worth the hassle of getting a 3D copy of the steelbook and spending the extra money. Have we confirmed the steelbook is exactly the same for both versions yet? I know the importance as a completist, but it doesn't come with anything extra beyond the 3D version of the movie -- which you likely won't be using - then what's the point?


Thank You @pikachuforever,

 

It is good to have two different opinions concerning 3-D. I know this might sound bizarre; but for me I try to avoid 3-D movie at the theater because it give me a headache; which is strange because I am considering my asking sister about looking for a 3-D Dr. Strange steelbook. @pikachuforever you are right while owning a 3-D TV does sound interesting you also need the Bluray player which at this time I have interest in buying and with them pushing 4K; I am not ready to put out that type of money. Like you said the steelbook is exactly the same for both versions yet the importance as a completist, but it doesn't come with anything extra beyond the 3D version of the movie -- which you likely won't be using - then what's the point? Truthfully, no matter what the fact that the Best Buy stores that are near her are sold out of the 3-D Dr.Strange pretty much gives me my answer. On a side note I also placed a online order for the movie SING and the 2-D version of Moana they were sold out on their 3-D preorder ( I guess someone is trying to send me a message) but again the steelbook is exactly the same for both versions. 

 

Thank You for your help @pikachuforever; it is greatly appreciated!!!

Epic Genius
Posts: 309
Registered: ‎04-19-2016
0 Kudos

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook

The English Steelbook for "Rogue One A Star Wars Story" pre-order is currently sold out.

 

If I recall, "The Force Awakens" was available for pre-order up until the day before the release date last year.

But I could be wrong.

 

The French Steelbook for "Rogue One A Star Wars Story" pre-order is still available.

 

The only difference between the 2 is the outside packaging I'm guessing.

 

Anybody know for sure?

Epic Genius
Posts: 235
Registered: ‎03-31-2015

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook

@casey1985

With Disney & Marvel, both English & BIlingual editions are ALWAYS the same content.  Only difference is the j-card.

 

There was, in my memory is good, only 1 release that had a tiny difference between the 2 editions, and it was The Avengers (1st one).  The English had a downloadable content more than the Bilingual as the additionnal content wasn't offered in Quebec province.

Epic Genius
Posts: 309
Registered: ‎04-19-2016
0 Kudos

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook

Thanks @Drum18

 

But the Steelbook itself doesn't have both the english and french titles on it like the amaray (if that's how it is spelled) case does it?

Epic Genius
Posts: 235
Registered: ‎03-31-2015

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook

@casey1985

Only the j-card is different.  Nothing else.  Smiley Wink

sw_1.jpgsw_2.jpgsw_3.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 541
Registered: ‎01-13-2012
0 Kudos

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook


bjmaxvin67 wrote:

 


Thank You @pikachuforever,

It is good to have two different opinions concerning 3-D. I know this might sound bizarre; but for me I try to avoid 3-D movie at the theater because it give me a headache; which is strange because I am considering my asking sister about looking for a 3-D Dr. Strange steelbook. @pikachuforever you are right while owning a 3-D TV does sound interesting you also need the Bluray player which at this time I have interest in buying and with them pushing 4K; I am not ready to put out that type of money.


Both the PS3 and the PS4 support 3D BDs so if you already have one of those, then all you need is the TV.

 

I find it surprising that you get headaches watching 3D in the theatre because they use polarized glasses.

 

Some theatres such as IMAX 3D theatres in museums use the active technology which do give people headaches.  I can actually notice the flicker on active technology which is why I went with passive technology for the home.

 

Obviously I disagree with @pikachuforever because I do think the 3D enhances the film both in the theatre and at home.  Scenes in space in films like SW:TFA or STAR TREK BEYOND especially pop out when there are lots of objects at varying depths.  MAD MAX was also another great movie in 3D.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 541
Registered: ‎01-13-2012
0 Kudos

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook


pikachuforever wrote:


That's what I feared. It's the only one I haven't seen in my travels either. They took A New Hope off the website at last check, but I'll tell him to keep looking.


 

A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are the two most popular movies in the franchise.  

 

I picked those up first (along with RETURN OF THE JEDI) even though I wasn't a fan of the artwork.

 

Surprisingly, THE PHANTOM MENACE was also quite popular and sold out rather quickly.

 

I'm not looking for the prequels, but all of those SteelBooks were available for quite a while and were made in bulk internationally.  If your friend is still looking, I would advise him to Google it online.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 541
Registered: ‎01-13-2012

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook


casey1985 wrote:

Any time I have seen older steelbooks in stores it's because they are all scratched to hell, or dented or have loose discs and that's why they are still there.  Especially the Mondo titles and the Star Wars series steelbooks.

 

Nobody wants them in their flawed state.


Yes, but flawed state or not, they represent unsold inventory to Best Buy management, which leads to the question, "Why are we amassing such inventory for SteelBooks that obviously don't sell?".

 

The message they are getting is that the SteelBook market in Canada has softened.  That's why they will order fewer SteelBook titles and discount the ones they have to get rid of them. 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: From A Galaxy Far Far Away...New Release Steelbook


SonicBoom wrote:

A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are the two most popular movies in the franchise.  

 

I picked those up first (along with RETURN OF THE JEDI) even though I wasn't a fan of the artwork.

 

Surprisingly, THE PHANTOM MENACE was also quite popular and sold out rather quickly.

 

I'm not looking for the prequels, but all of those SteelBooks were available for quite a while and were made in bulk internationally.  If your friend is still looking, I would advise him to Google it online.


I told him he was stupid for waiting this long. I know just how popular each one is.

Just jumped on you saying you keep seeing them.

 

And Phantom Menace has the best lightsaber fight of those 6 movies and had Maul on the front, so not surprised it sold out quick.