Luminary
0 Kudos

Is the New! Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Complete Series (English)?

[ Edited ]

I  was wondering is New! Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Complete Series (English) only on DVD  has Paramount released the entire series also on Bluray disc?

Epic Genius

Re: Is the New! Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Complete Series (English)?

I looked around and couldn't find a listing for it on other sites.

Luminary

[ Edited ]

casey1985 wrote:

I looked around and couldn't find a listing for it on other sites.

Thank You @casey1985,

I was also looking and found an article (a very long article) which essentially stated that Deep Space Nine and Voyager would not be recieving the bluray treatment at this time (if your interested I will but a link to the article for you to read).http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

As for the new Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Complete Series (English) http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/star-trek-deep-space-nine-the-complete-series-english-dvd/m22232.... While, I do like the new packaging and clam shell cases; if I did not own the old sets I would with out a doubt get the new releases. The original packaging for DS9 and VOY are bad. But since I do there is no reason to buy the new sets.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@bjmaxvin67

Thank you for posting that link.  The article is long but very informative.  I recommend reading it to everyone who reads this forum. Not just Star Trek fans because this basically explains the reasons why there are a lot of older series that will never see anything better than DVD.  The conversion costs too much to make a profit.

It explains why there will probably never be a Blu-ray edition of ST: Voyager or Deep Space Nine.

Also why many past non Star Trek series will never be released on Blu-ray.  Too expensive to convert over with no chance of seeing any profits due to lack of sales.  It says that not enough fans were interested in paying the high prices for the Blu-Rays of The Next Generation (that cost $12 million to convert) since they could stream them.  It turned out the effort they put in it and all of the special features they added weren't enough to make a profit from sales (or a profit they felt was high enough or didn't turn a profit at all).

And seeing how it would cost them $20 million and 8 years to convert either Voyager or Deep Space Nine (which wouldn't come anywhere close to the sales of The Next Generation) they would never make a profit on them.

Once again streaming and the internet has killed more physical media meaning there will be less older shows being released on Blu-ray.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I remember reading that the original ST series was the only one shot on film, which is why it warranted a Blu-ray release.  They also went back and remade the effects for the original series.

The later series were shot on video and had poor special effects that would translate poorly to HD so DVD is good enough.

I don't think it has anything to do with streaming vs. physical media.

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SonicBoom wrote:

I remember reading that the original ST series was the only one shot on film, which is why it warranted a Blu-ray release.  They also went back and remade the effects for the original series.

The later series were shot on video and had poor special effects that would translate poorly to HD so DVD is good enough.

I don't think it has anything to do with streaming vs. physical media.

Yes @SonicBoom

I also remember them saying it had something to do with special effects; I think that I also read somewhere that is the same reason we will not see the series Babaylon 5 on Bluray it would be too expensive (http://thewertzone.blogspot.ca/2013/11/warner-brothers-considering-hd-update.html ) .

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Hello! @SonicBoom

Read the article.  The person explaining the details is somebody who worked on the project.  

It's very insightful. Star Trek Next Generation wasn't shot on film but they converted it.

It was painstaking.  Cost a lot of money and took a lot of time.  But according to the article, in the end, they didn't sell enough of the Blu-ray units to justify the cost and time they put into it.  And this was their most popular Star Trek TV series. So they won't do it again.

The reasons they used for fans not buying enough units is because they already paid for VHS, DVD and that the prices for the Blu-rays were too high.  They also mentioned that fans could stream it as another reason for lack of sales.

There is a lot more information in the article and I'm glad I read it because now I know why a lot of past TV shows won't ever be available on Blu-ray.

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

casey1985 wrote:

Hello! @SonicBoom

Read the article.  The person explaining the details is somebody who worked on the project.  

It's very insightful. Star Trek Next Generation wasn't shot on film but they converted it.

It was painstaking.  Cost a lot of money and took a lot of time.  But according to the article, in the end, they didn't sell enough of the Blu-ray units to justify the cost and time they put into it.  And this was their most popular Star Trek TV series. So they won't do it again.

The reasons they used for fans not buying enough units is because they already paid for VHS, DVD and that the prices for the Blu-rays were too high.  They also mentioned that fans could stream it as another reason for lack of sales.

There is a lot more information in the article and I'm glad I read it because now I know why a lot of past TV shows won't ever be available on Blu-ray.

Hi @casey1985

You are right  a lot of older series that will never see anything better than DVD. The conversion costs too much to make a profit. I mentioned also to @SonicBoom there has been alot of questions concerning another sci-fi show Babylon 5 being converted to bluray and it is the same thing it is to expensive. Here is the article http://thewertzone.blogspot.ca/2013/11/warner-brothers-considering-hd-update.html .

There is talk of a Babylon 5 reboot movie some feel like the movie, if it happens, could be fans last best hope for a remastering. WB would have to re-create all the CGI, but if the movie is a smash hit (or at least successful enough to raise the profile of the Babylon 5 name), I possibly could see them making it happen. Per episode, it would probably cost at least as much as the Star Trek remasters that are currently happening, but that money would definitely be recouped in sales. J Micheal Straczynski said in 2006 that the DVDs had generated over $500 million in revenue, and I would not be at all surprised if that had been doubled in the 8 years since. But who knows, movie studios are weird about home video releases and fans may not buy it again after they already own it on DVD.  

It would be interesting to know how much the was new box set of combined The Original Battlestar Galactica, The Theatrical Movie and Battlestar Galactica1980 bluray set made. Because there is also some hype with fans concerning doing a remastering like they did for the original Star Trek.  ( http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69533)