Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBook Discussion Thread

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

I saw this on Best Buy Canada site but  was wondering Is this the steelbook for Dr. Strange; while it looks it may be it does not say and I was hoping someone confirm it before I preorder it. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/doctor-strange-blingual-cinematic-universe-edition-3d-blu-ray-co...

That is the non steelbook version. The steelbook version will mention the word "steelbook" somewhere in the title. From what I was searching, I could not find it online just yet.

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

pikachuforever wrote:
Type @ before the name, and it should highlight.

Curious to see if Best Buy Canada will carry the two versions of Dr. Strange -- considering previous Marvel steels had Blu-ray and 3D, and no DVD.

Thank You very much @pikachuforever it worked. Smiley LOLAlso it would be cool to see two versions of Dr. Strange like they did with Avenger Age of Ultron; but I am just glad we are getting it.Smiley Very Happy Thank you again for the help.Smiley Happy

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Luminary
0 Kudos

BBYLaura wrote:

Hi again! Back with an update with what movies will be available on steelbook:

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - No Smiley Sad

FYI, The Jack Reacher steelbook will only be offered in the BD/DVD Combo, no 4K edition for Canada.

Luminary

So does this look correct? @BBYLaura and @BBYTerence

TBD:

Passengers

Inferno (January 24, 2017)

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them

Assasin's Creed

Underworld: Blood Wars

Arrival

Moana

Confirmed 'Yes':

Doctor Strange (February 28, 2017)

Rogue One (April 14, 2017)

Confirmed 'No':

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Sing

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hey, @Marcus05

The movies team has yet to provide us with any definite dates, so I cannot confirm any of the dates you mentioned.

I don't have a definite confirmation on the dates regarding Dr. Strange and Rogue One.

Jack Reacher is a "no."

As for the list of movies you listed as "TBD," I will post in the Official SteelBook Announcement List & Thread once I have concrete info provided to me by the movies team regarding those movies you listed.

I'm bugging them all the time, and once they give me something confirmed and concrete, I will post that info.

Thanks!

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Any idea if the resident evil latest steelbook Set will be avaliable in Canada? Thank you

The Captain
0 Kudos

Will we be getting moana steelbook?
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hey, everyone.

There are no new updates about any of the titles mentioned above yet. So for now, it's still up in the air and TBD. Once I get a list of new, confirmed updates, I will post that info. Thanks! Smiley Happy

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Captain

Hey all,

Sorry, am new here, and don't understand all the ins and outs of this.

Can someone explain why Best Buy US would carry a steelbook, but they would leave Best Buy Canada out in the cold? It's not like you aren't carrying the movie at all (of course you are), but just not the steel (like Jack Reacher).

Future Shop was the first on the Steelbook train, and now that Best Buy has bought them and taken over, we are no longer getting everything.

Just trying to understand how/why that would happen?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.
Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

Canadian SteelBook Market (was: Upcoming SteelBook Discussion Thread)

[ Edited ]

Best Buy Canada and Best Buy US are two separate entities that run their business separately.

They do share a majority of stock, but not everything because the markets are totally different, the geography is different, and the culture is different.

The Powers that Be at Best Buy Canada will select items for the Canadian market that will sell.  Just because something sells in the US doesn't mean it will sell in Canada.  They also need to balance costs and inventory.  Remember that the population in ithe US is 10x the size of Canada.

Obviously Best Buy Canada would like to sell more inventory to make money, but keep in mind that inventory needs to travel a large geographical distance to service all the stores in Canada.  Also recognize that the physical media market is shrinking, not just at Best Buy, but worldwide.  Also keep in mind that Best Buy has stocked a lot of SteelBooks in the past year and there are often sales and surplus of titles in every store such as STAR TREK BEYOND, THE TERMINATOR, BOYHOOD, PAN'S LABYRINTH, etc.

It's not too hard to understand that not every SteelBook is a big seller just because a few people rally for them online and here in the forums.

Furthermore, remember that back in the old Future Shop days in 2009, Canadian SteelBooks were a commodity because there weren't many SteelBooks released worldwide, period.  There was a demand for them all over the world because Canada was a small market and the US did not manufacture them.

Fast forward eight years (!) and the US has embraced the packaging.  Most Canadian SteelBooks are also issued in the US and elsewhere around the world.  There is no worldwide demand for them because you can get a STAR TREK BEYOND SteelBook from pretty much every major country in the world.

Best Buy Canada's SteelBook market is now once again only for Canadians, and I predicted this could happen once the US caught on to the SteelBook market about five years ago.

When Best Buy US releases a SteelBook, it is 10x the quantity of what Best Buy Canada would release.  That pretty much  floods the North American market because what does an extra 10% really account for?  While this may be seen as a negative for Canadian consumers, I see this as a positive.

10x the quantity means that SteelBooks are no longer as limited as they used to be.  They are out there and they are cheaper than they would be if they were limited.  For me, that means more SteelBooks at a cheaper price.

I will always prefer to buy Canadian and support Best Buy Canada vs other retailers.  However, if BB Canada doesn't carry what I'm looking for, I'm forced to look elsewhere.  Unfortunately, it looks like every major Canadian retailer (except for one) has reduced its inventory of physical media so our choices are getting limited.

Best Buy Canada has offered a few recent releases as online only, which I think is a good compromise.  They can hold less inventory, while still serving the niche Canadian market of SteelBook collectors.

Best Buy Canada just needs to step-up their announcements for pre-orders.  If I know about a SteelBook release ahead of time, I can cancel my international order and order from Best Buy Canada.  If I don't know about it, my international order will ship and I will not be able to support BB Canada.  I've also informed other Canadian retailers of the same thing.  Many online retailers are now announcing DVD/Blu-ray pre-orders at the same time of the theatrical release.  This makes Best Buy Canada look like they are behind the curve because online stores are promoting these pre-orders heavily while capitalizing on the theatrical marketing which is of no cost to them.

The sooner everyone knows about a release -- whether or not it is actually arriving -- the better this relationship will be.

Hope this helps.