Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

Hello.

For the Transformers steelbooks, I've been told that May 30 is the release date (UPDATED).

I'm unsure if these are online only or available in stores as well. I have not received an answer regarding this.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Oracle
0 Kudos

So I guess release day shipping is out of the question lol
The Captain
0 Kudos

Is it really too late to Pre-Order the La La Land Steelbook? Each time I visit the site says its Sold Out, like it was never available. This was also the case for Rogue One but I was still able to snag a copy at a later date. Just wondering if it will open up again for pre-orders? Thanks! Smiley Happy

Also...is there a English Steelbook version, or is it only Bilingual? Thanks again! 

Luminary

[ Edited ]

For anyone who missed out on the Transformers, and if BB Canada stock is forever depleted, they are available/live across Europe, same Steelbooks in English, "J" card in language of the country. I checked Germany to confirm, but nothing on the UK site, so it might be an exclusive there. It is noted as "Limited Edition", but years of collecting has shown this to be an overused statement, so it's anyone's guess.

@BBYTerence

Food for thought: Any possibility of BB scheduling a go live date and time for exclusives and limiting quantities?

Hoarders and group buys deplete stock because they order in large quantities, limiting purchases to 3 or 5 per household does not work, they simply place 3 separate orders of qty 5 and nobody knows any better.

Legacy FS forum members will recall that many exclusives were posted in the forum with a “Go Live” date/time combined with a maximum limit of copies per order, a practice many other retailers/boutique labels follow today in order to minimize hoarding. Combining a “Go Live” date/time with a copy limit of qty 1 per order would certainly open up more opportunities for loyal BB customers to obtain a copy.

Luminary

uly55e5 wrote:

Is it really too late to Pre-Order the La La Land Steelbook? Each time I visit the site says its Sold Out, like it was never available. This was also the case for Rogue One but I was still able to snag a copy at a later date. Just wondering if it will open up again for pre-orders? Thanks! Smiley Happy

Also...is there a English Steelbook version, or is it only Bilingual? Thanks again! 

Lately if they are "Sold Out" online, your next opportunity is in-store on the release date. Some small quantities may appear due to order cancellations but they will be gobbled up pretty quickly.

In reference to Steelbooks, "Bilingual" or "English" is normally limited to the "J" card and not the Spine or Covers. If there's only one edition, then I would assume that it is "Bilingual" otherwise it could not be sold in Quebec stores.

@BBYTerence can confirm this, that's simply my observations.

Luminary

[ Edited ]

Jacques1400 wrote:

For anyone who missed out on the Transformers, and if BB Canada stock is forever depleted, they are available/live across Europe, same Steelbooks in English, "J" card in language of the country. I checked Germany to confirm, but nothing on the UK site, so it might be an exclusive there. It is noted as "Limited Edition", but years of collecting has shown this to be an overused statement, so it's anyone's guess.

@BBYTerence

Food for thought: Any possibility of BB scheduling a go live date and time for exclusives and limiting quantities?

Hoarders and group buys deplete stock because they order in large quantities, limiting purchases to 3 or 5 per household does not work, they simply place 3 separate orders of qty 5 and nobody knows any better.

Legacy FS forum members will recall that many exclusives were posted in the forum with a “Go Live” date/time combined with a maximum limit of copies per order, a practice many other retailers/boutique labels follow today in order to minimize hoarding. Combining a “Go Live” date/time with a copy limit of qty 1 per order would certainly open up more opportunities for loyal BB customers to obtain a copy.

Hey @Jacques1400,

Please excuse my ingnorance; but I am not familiar with “Go Live” date/time and was not aware they even had it at Future Shop could you or someone else explain it to me. Most of my purchases of Steelboks were done by me physically going to the store in the morning when the doors opened and since it was  next to the clinic were I had physical therapy it made things easy.  

I do agree with a limit to how many copies people buy a qty 1 maybe 2 per order would certainly open up more opportunities for loyal BB customers to obtain a copy. Instead of as soon as someone announcing that they see it on the site you have to rush to preorder your copy.

I am not sure how many times people look at the steelbook page in a day or week; but it seems like you almost need to check three times a day for updates.Smiley LOL Mainly because I checked the site that afternoon and saw nothing and  checked in the evening and I saw @Drum18 notice they were there. 

Highlighted
Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

@bjmaxvin67

"I am not sure how many times people look at the steelbook page in a day or week; but it seems like you almost need to check three times a day for updates.Smiley LOL Mainly because I checked the site that afternoon and saw nothing and  checked in the evening and I saw @Drum18 notice they were there. "

That's pretty much what I do (when I think about it) Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Legendary Epic Genius

Suggestions Regarding Steelbook Ordering

[ Edited ]

"Go Live" refers to a time when the pre-order is up and available for people to actually pre-order.

The pre-order goes live.

This is very common with many online only retailers, especially those offering exclusives like SteelBooks, special packaging, slipcovers (full-slip/half-slip/quarter-slip/lenticulars).

A retailer might announce, just like BBYTerence does, that the KONG SteelBook would go live at 10 AM EST.

Then everyone gets ready with their refresh key at 9:59 AM and it's a first-come-first-served melee.

If you limit quantities, then at least it gives people a chance to get just one, rather than someone coming in and buying fifty, or a hundred of them.

I think it's a good idea to implement this to bring BB Canada on par with other online retailers.

BB Canada has a great system for discussion and feedback.  I would hope that they can improve the online experience through this method as well so they remain competitive in the online market.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

@Jacques1400 @uly55e5

Just so I understand correctly, when somebody asks about "Bilingual", they are asking about the packaging correct?

Because all Canadian releases have at least English and French audio and subtitles don't they?

Legendary Epic Genius

Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

A lot of films have both English and French audio and subtitle tracks although that is not always guaranteed.

However, when people here are talking about the "bilingual" edition, they are more often than not referring to the SteelBook edition which has two distinct J-cards -- one in English and one with both French and English for the Quebec market.

Oftentimes, the English only version may be sold out, but the bilingual edition -- which is the exact same SteelBook and discs but with a bilingual J-card -- is still available.

I know a guy who collects both English and bilingual SteelBooks, so for some people, it matters.