Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

Jacques1400 wrote:

@pikachuforever

No offense meant, unfortunately this is off topic for this thread, feel free to start a new thread if you feel so inclined.

I won't further discussions, but as I said, it's a personal preference.

Industry standard is total or worldwide Box Office results v. cost of the movie + P&A, ratings have nothing to do with it since all movies are tailored to a specific demographic from the start, and budgeted accordingly.

And yes, I agree that just because it made money does not make it a better movie, unfortunately that's what the studios use as concrete facts. Smiley Wink

Definetely don't think you understand how ratings, expectations and comparisons work. You simply can't compare an R-rated movie to a PG-13-rated movie if you're going to compare box office. The highest grossing PG-13 movie worldwide is Avatar with $2.7-billion unadjusted. The closest R-rated movie I could find was Deadpool with $783-million. Are you saying the studio is disappointed with Deadpool because it only made $783-million?

The first 3 Transformers movies made over $300-million at the box office in NA alone. Are they better than The Fifth Element or Starship Troopers? See how ridiculous it sounds when you judge movies based on their box office stats?

You can like the movie all you want, but your reason for thinking its better should be because YOU think its better. Not because it did better at the box office. And I know the studios tend to compare apples to apples, not apples to bananas.

As for off-topic...well, considering it seems a vast majority of people on this forum buy steelbooks blind without having seen the movies -- I think discussing the actual films once in a while wouldn't be that bad an idea.

Luminary
0 Kudos

@BBYTerence, looks like BestBuy USA is getting the Game of Thrones Season 7 steelbook:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/game-of-thrones-season-seven-steelbook-blu-ray/33282399.p?skuId=33282399

Any chances Canada getting it as well? Last time Seasons 5 and 6 were original not schedule to be released, but appeared out of nowhere.

Cheers!

Community Manager

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

@BBYTerence will Best Buy Canada get the Starship Troopers 20th Anniversary Steelbook? Smiley Happy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/starship-troopers-20th-anniversary-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray...

I'm not sure right now. I'll check on this later when a new list of future titles gets presented to me.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Highlighted
Epic Genius

Luminary

[ Edited ]

pikachuforever wrote:

As for off-topic...well, considering it seems a vast majority of people on this forum buy steelbooks blind without having seen the movies -- I think discussing the actual films once in a while wouldn't be that bad an idea.

@pikachuforever

I have to agree with you concerning the comment about discussing the actual films once in a while wouldn't be that bad an idea. Because I just came from seeing Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets which is on my steelbook wish list. Smiley Happy

The movie Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets I loved it. It was a great romp through space and some of it even reminded me of Star Wars. It included some amazing landscapes, great costumes and incredible creativity. But while visually stunning It was short on plot in places; but If you like the over the top imagery of The 5th Element, you'll like this too. Smiley Happy

Luminary

I agree. I loved Valerian, Dunkirk, War For the Planet Of The Apes, Spiderman: Homecoming, it's been a greath month for movies Smiley Happy

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Of that list, I've only seen SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING.

I'm saving the others for SteelBook.  I was looking forward to VALERIAN though but read that the reviews were only so-so and the weekend box office was disappointing.

DUNKIRK I'm mildly interested in, mainly because I'm not too familiar with the plot and doesn't sound as engaging as SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

I did watch THE FIFTH ELEMENT over the weekend.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

I'm saving the others for SteelBook.  I was looking forward to VALERIAN though but read that the reviews were only so-so and the weekend box office was disappointing.

DUNKIRK I'm mildly interested in, mainly because I'm not too familiar with the plot and doesn't sound as engaging as SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

Don't wait on Dunkirk. Go see it in a large-format real IMAX theatre (not one of the smaller converted ones). The experience you have will not be easily replicated when you watch it on disc.

Still intrigued about Valerian. Hoping to see it in the coming weeks.

Luminary

pikachuforever wrote:

SonicBoom wrote:

Don't wait on Dunkirk. Go see it in a large-format real IMAX theatre (not one of the smaller converted ones). The experience you have will not be easily replicated when you watch it on disc.

Still intrigued about Valerian. Hoping to see it in the coming weeks.

I saw Dunkirk @pikachuforever on one of the smaller converted ones and personally, I dislike war films; in general. But something,  about this movie intrigued me. It's not an American battle or evacuation, so it's not a story I, would know or have have heard too much about.  I thought It was an amazing story and my take on it was that it was about survival after defeat. Do we surrender or die trying to escape to fight another day; essentially the movie shows the reality of war. There was bravery, even cowardice, stoicism, determination and heroics to be found in this film. Smiley Happy

Luminary

Saw Baby Driver recently in the theatre. Would love to see that as a Steelbook...