Luminary

What 80's or Early 90's Cartoon Would You Want To See As A Live Action Movie?

I figured we could have a little fun here.Smiley Very Happy There was a time when what could arguably be dismissed as “kids’ stuff” (comics, cartoons, toys, video games) had little or no chance at being adapted into successful, never mind respectable movies.Things have changed and nowadays studios drool over the chance at getting their mitts on nerdy properties. The children who grew up with cartoons, action figures, and comic books are now the adults buying movie tickets and DVDs/Blu-Rays. Marvel is close to becoming better known as a film studio than a comics publisher, video game flicks are no longer a running joke in the movie business, and cartoons designed to sell children overpriced hunks of plastic are now fodder for summer blockbusters. A Mighty Morphin Power Rangers adaptation and Transformers: The Last Knight are about to be released in theaters. But what about the shows from our childhoods that are not quite as well-remembered; shows that were largely forgotten by all but hardcore ’80s nerds and/ or fans? What 80's cartoon series would you like to see possibly be resurrected as serious, profitable, well-received live action films? For me I would love to see Voltron, Adventures of Jonny Quest, ThunderCats and The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. My question is what 80's or early 90's cartoon would you want to see as a live action movie?

Community Manager

Re: What 80's or Early 90's Cartoon Would You Want To See As A Live Action Movie?

[ Edited ]

Excellent topic! Smiley Happy

A couple 80s, most likely forgotten, cartoons come to mind for me.

In the 80s, I loved the show M.A.S.K. and all the M.A.SK. toys as well. I would love to see that turned into a movie or sci-fi/action series.

There also used to be this animated series I loved called C.O.P.S. The inner child in me would love to see that resurrected into a live action format!

A 90s cartoon I loved was GargoylesThey can do some visually stunning things with the Planet of the Apes franchise now, so I would totally love to see them bring this animated series to life.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Captain

Re: What 80's or Early 90's Cartoon Would You Want To See As A Live Action Movie?

How about Rocko's Modern Life? I think that a lot of people who grew up during the 90s would like it!!

Legendary Oracle

Well, my all time favourite is still that oscar winning wabbit

What's up ..,docs ?What's up ..,docs ?

But since we're talking fairly modern age, how about Pinky and the Brain, because I share his ultimate goal *NARF*Smiley WinkPinky.jpg

Highlighted
Luminary

josh976 wrote:

How about Rocko's Modern Life? I think that a lot of people who grew up during the 90s would like it!!

Hey @josh976,

I was reading that Rocko’s Modern Life returns for new TV movie on Nickelodeon;  I guess it will be animated and not live action. Smiley Very Happy 

I gues this may sound crazy but I always thought SpongeBob and Rocko are kinda connected, because they have to deal with the ups and downs in the real world.  For SpongeBob the good way, and Rocko the bad way, but in the end, they always win the day.

Luminary

Elico47 wrote:

Well, my all time favourite is still that oscar winning wabbit

What's up ..,docs ?What's up ..,docs ?

But since we're talking fairly modern age, how about Pinky and the Brain, because I share his ultimate goal *NARF*Smiley WinkPinky.jpg

Hey @Elico47,

I believe that Bugs Bunny and all the Looney Tunes characters and cartoons would fit any decade. Mainly because they are timeless; I loved these cartoons when I grew up, Foghorn was my favorite. He still is one of the greatest cartoons characters ever put on the screen Mel Blanc was an absolute genius I am still roll over laughing at these cartoons. The Golden age of animation right here; it really shows how much has changed since then. While they are great classics, all in all, you could never get away with that today unless it was on something like South Park; when I was younger I was amazed how much they made fun of Nazis and Japan in a cartoon without people complaining. Also, there are many ethnic stereotypes that are deemed too offensive for contemporary audiences which are the reason why they're not been shown on national television these days.

As for Pinky and the Brain this was one of the best animated shows ever. This show isn't just for kids and the humor of the show can be enjoyed by all ages, much like the classic Warner Brothers shorts. Pinky & the Brain also has great dialogue. The plans to take over the world are also a hoot. Smiley LOLMany of the episodes are classic.Smiley Happy

Luminary

[ Edited ]

BBYTerence wrote:

In the 80s, I loved the show M.A.S.K. and all the M.A.SK. toys as well. I would love to see that turned into a movie or sci-fi/action series.

There also used to be this animated series I loved called C.O.P.S. The inner child in me would love to see that resurrected into a live action format!

A 90s cartoon I loved was GargoylesThey can do some visually stunning things with the Planet of the Apes franchise now, so I would totally love to see them bring this animated series to life.

Hey @BBYTerence,

I was a fan of the M.A.S.K  show and toys ( I still have many is storage). A M.A.S.K movie would be kind of cool. Perhaps it will be Michael Bay's next project Smiley LOL?

Hasbro actually owns the Intellectual Property and Hasbro owns all of M.A.S.K. top to bottom. Since Hasbro is pretty locked up with Paramount Pictures who has also did Transformers, G.I JOE and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so they would be a good candidate to make a movie. 

As for C.O.P.S this would also be an awesome movie and with Vincent D'Onofrio as Big Boss and Sam Jackson as Bulletproof (enough said perfect casting)Smiley LOL.

As for Gargoyles this show was a breath of fresh air on every level. If this wasn't a groundbreaking show, it certainly raised the bar sky high. Your right @BBYTerence they can do some visually stunning things like with the Planet of the Apes franchise. If this ever gets live action adaptation it has to have something to do with Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro, or Joss Whedon. The material's right up their alley and just keep Michael Bay away from this. In my opinion, this show is some of the best work Disney has ever done. If Gargoyles ever does make a live action comeback, I will cry out in Keith David's voice, "The spell is broken. AND WE LIVE AGAIN!!!!" Smiley Very Happy

Legendary Epic Genius

Beast wars. Definitely Beast wars.

Wasn't really a cartoon per se, but it was definitely animated.

JB

Community Manager

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

BBYTerence wrote:

Hey @BBYTerence,

I was a fan of the M.A.S.K  show and toys ( I still have many is storage). A M.A.S.K movie would be kind of cool. Perhaps it will be Michael Bay's next project Smiley LOL?

Hasbro actually owns the Intellectual Property and Hasbro owns all of M.A.S.K. top to bottom. Since Hasbro is pretty locked up with Paramount Pictures who has also did Transformers, G.I JOE and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so they would be a good candidate to make a movie. 

As for C.O.P.S this would also be an awesome movie and with Vincent D'Onofrio as Big Boss and Sam Jackson as Bulletproof (enough said perfect casting)Smiley LOL.

As for Gargoyles this show was a breath of fresh air on every level. If this wasn't a groundbreaking show, it certainly raised the bar sky high. Your right @BBYTerence they can do some visually stunning things like with the Planet of the Apes franchise. If this ever gets live action adaptation it has to have something to do with Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro, or Joss Whedon. The material's right up their alley and just keep Michael Bay away from this. In my opinion, this show is some of the best work Disney has ever done. If Gargoyles ever does make a live action comeback, I will cry out in Keith David's voice, "The spell is broken. AND WE LIVE AGAIN!!!!" Smiley Very Happy

Hey @bjmaxvin67

I can totally see the C.O.P.S. opening theme with the cast. It would be just like the cartoon, but with the actors Smiley Very Happy Great casting ideas!

Gargoyles had a lot of intelligent and Shakespearean themes. Good call on keeping it away from Michael Bay. He can stick to the explosions Smiley Wink The nostalgia is setting in. I really wanna watch some Gargoyles right now!

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Community Manager

Juice0904 wrote:
Beast wars. Definitely Beast wars.

Wasn't really a cartoon per se, but it was definitely animated.

JB

@Juice0904

Beast Wars would be such a fun, visually creative thing to watch in live action!

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator