Pioneer
0 Kudos

Extremely disappointed with my last visit to Bestbuy

I have been a long time customer of Bestbuy and have bought multiple laptops from the firm. I took my Acer laptop into the king geogre, surrey location yesterday. I have had the laptop for around 9 months. From day 1 i used the McAfee protection on it (recommended/comes with free trial). I strictly use this laptop for school assignments/microsoft word. I have never streamed a movie or gone to a questionable website. It seems there is something wrong with the software, because the laptop will not connect to the internet. The geek squad employee told me if he factory reset my computer it may fix the problem. But before he would continue, i would have to pay. Honestly i was quite surprised. I have only used the laptop about a dozen times, as i use my desktop for all my fun/gaming. I have taken extra care not to go to bad sites, and bought the virus protection i was recommended to AT bestbuy themselves. So if the 1 year warrenty doesnt cover a person like me who i believe to be extra careful, who does it cover? someone who drops there laptop and causes damage internaly? As I was extremelly upset with the customer service, I told the employee I dont think ill continue bringing my business to bestbuy, his response was "I guess not". I would have assumed he would bring a manager over to dissolve the issue but i guess i was wrong. Since I was not given the respect/time of day a returning customer deserves I will no longer be purchasing products from your stores. I will also tell my father not to purchase his company computers/products there aswell. Same goes for friends and family who think about bestbuy as there next purchasing location. As I am a student majoring in business, I know competition is tough right now, and im sure there are other companies who are willing to go further for their long term/returning customers. I used to enjoy shopping at your stores so its sad those days are done. Hopefully the same mistake does not happen with your other customers.

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Extremely disappointed with my last visit to Bestbuy

Usually with the 1 year warranty you have to deal with the manufacture and not Best Buy

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Pioneer
0 Kudos

I was not given any information as to proceed with fixing the problem. All I was told was that I would have to pay for him to reset my laptop to factory settings. Maybe he just assumed i would bite the bullet and come back later to pay for it. Either was it was not handled correctly. I will try to contact acer now. However the lack of help/customer service has driven me away from this company. 

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Did you inform them it was under a year old? as if they were unaware of that then every thing they do would be a chargable service

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Yes. I said it was still under a year old and that i have barely used it. He tried connecting it to the internet himself. He was unable to do so and told me i would have to pay for him to continue with reseting it. I said if there was anyone who should be covered by warrenty it should be me as I have barely used the device and have had the McAfee protection that best buy recommended to me from day one. He repeated if i wanted it fixed i would have to pay. I said i do not think ill be buying another computer from best buy and his only response was "I guess not". So for complete lack of customer appreciation/help i will not continue to shop at bestbuy. Now i will have to fix the problem myself.

Legendary Epic Genius

If you didn't buy Best Buy's protection plan, then why do you think Best Buy should fix the laptop?  They sold you the laptop, not the service for it.

You should be contacting Acer.  If you really didn't use it much, you should just back up whatever data you have on it, and then wipe out the drive and re-install from scratch.  It shouldn't take more than a half-hour and you can do it yourself.

Luminary

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/standard-warranty

That will give you an idea of what is covered and what is not. Generally the one year manufacture warranty will only cover defective parts assuming they are not physically damaged. Most do not cover any sort of software issues.

McAfee isn't something that Best Buy loads onto the computer but it is generally something preinstalled by almost every manufacture as a trial on the computer. The recommended anti-virus of choice that Best Buy/Geek Squad uses are Kaspersky and Bitdefender since that is what they offer along with either their setup/membership/warranty packages.

Now lastly to address the no connection issue. If the unit is only lightly used without properly keeping the anti-virus updated it may cause issues with internet connections. If you are getting a connection but not internet access (yellow exclamation point on wifi) it is usually due to corrupted anti-virus software/databases. In some cases you can just remove av/fix the drivers and os and then reinstall the av but other times you may have to complete a full reset. When it’s hardware it normally has issues even seeing the networks or has extra low signal strength. If it is not the av causing the issue it could be a corrupted OS. Windows 10 does a 3 phase update, phase 1 while the computer is in the OS, phase 2 during shutdown, phase 3 while the computer turns back on and booting back to windows. Since most of Windows 10 updates are done automatically, something may have gone wrong to also cause your issue.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Ya i am going to fix it myself. And its just hard to believe that something doesnt work after 9 months and almost no usage, with anti-vidus protection from day 1 (in store i was recommended to buy McAfee after the trail period expries). It would be alot easier to digest if i used the laptop on a daily basis. But considering ive only used it about a dozen times, strickly for class work, something doesnt add up.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Yellow exclamation mark appears and shows signal, just refuses to connect. Will not connect to my home network or best buy. However it did connect to my school wifi. just very disappointing with the lack of care in store. Customer service needs work.

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello, @johnduda.

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the in-store service. If you have not already spoken to a supervisor or manager at that store, you can definitely give customer service a call at our Best Buy Canada corporate head office. If you have any questions about getting in touch with them, feel free to send me a private message. They would be the ones who can provide any customer service assistance.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation