Luminary

Smartplugs Solutions: Turning off my SubWoofer when I turn my Receiver off

Auto Charging a mobile Phone

My first wemo application was simply a schedule of turning on the outlet for charging my iphone every 3 days because it was left on for forwarding my text messages to my Wind Mobile iphone. So every 3 days it would turn on the smartplug and charge my iphone.

Auto Turning off Amplifier

My second wemo application was a "motion detection Wemo" of which the company doesn't sell anymore, but my requirements were for a motion detection switch that would turn off my PC amplifier when I'm no longer at my desk. The power drawn by my Logitech Z906 wasn't a great deal but just the fact that I always left it on made me look for a solution. 

Turning off Subwoofer when Receiver Off

My most recent requirement was a method of automatically turning off my subwoofer when my receiver is off. I had thought of using a motion detection Wemo but the problem is that I'm not always in front of my living room stereo when it is on. I needed a method of detecting the amount of power in use and to trigger an event when the power in use is in standby.

To be honest, I had always thought of the wemo product line to be limited since they cannot connect to Apple's Homekit. On the Wemo's site, they also stated that they have no intentions of making their product line to work with Homekit at this time. 

However for limited applications, Wemo has the best in the kind of combinations that you would look for in a smartplug like motion detection or as in the case of the Wemo Insight which detects the amount of power in use.  Not many smartplugs offers these kinds of detections. 

I picked up the Wemo Insights today because of their ability to detect power usage. The condition would be when power in use turn on Subwoofer and the opposing rule would also apply "When power not in use turn off Subwoofer".

After setting everything up, I discover that Wemo itself does NOT offer rules to switch on another wemo switch.

I was stumped and was about to pack the Wemo smartplugs up for a return except that I remember that Wemo had the ability to connect to IFTTT.com which might possibly give us the variety of controls that might just do it.  

It took a while to figure out that you click on +this and +that to create conditions and triggers, and I managed to create this...

ifttt.jpg

You must specify on your phone app what power range determines "off" or "standby". I had both possibilities specified that if the amp is in standby or turned off, the subwoofer would be turned off also.  Switched on is also determined by the power range specified in your phone app. I have my on/standby Threshold set to 47Wats.

None of this knowledge was easily acquired as it was my persistence in poking at buttons that finally netted the above results. I could not connect and register my pin number of my Wemo to IFTTT and it required using my old ipad mini before I could finally register. 

IFTTT does take 10 to 20 seconds before it reacts. I.E. turning on the amplifier takes about 25 seconds before my subwoofer turns on. 

Thank you for reading.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Smartplugs Solutions: Turning off my SubWoofer when I turn my Receiver off

Just an update. IFTTT can take up to 10 minutes or longer to react. I turned off my receiver yesterday night and it took a full 10 minutes before my subwoofer turned off. It also took about 10 minutes to turn on my subwoofer this morning after turning on my receiver. 

In the grand scheme of things, as long as my subwoofer gets turned off I guess I am happy. I could turn on my subwoofer manually when turning on my receiver, but my subwoofer is just a filler (that extra thump on the bass) so I don't really notice.

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Smartplugs Solutions: Turning off my SubWoofer when I turn my Receiver off

Last update. After watching an hour of netflix, I thought I would check up on my subwoofer to find that it hadn't been turned ON automatically. 

Earlier on in the day after turning off my amp and I left the house for a few hours,  the subwoofer did not get turned off.

TFTTT is not realiable.

On another post I've put in an order for a Polk Audio Subwoofer at Best Buy that has auto on/off for the same price as my two Wemo Smartplugs.  I'll be returning these smartplugs tomorrow.

Although TFTTT opens up a world of events, the problem is that the delay or "not at all" is unacceptable for a smartplug.  There are better smartplugs out there.