Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: warning Ring Video Doorbell Fees

@Elico47 and @SonicBoom and @Drax86

why are the three of you attacking me and kudos'ing each other. It is like a high-fiving on wining an arguement against a single customer.

Especially you@Elico47  as someone that works at BestBuy.  You should never lecture a customer on how businesses needs to make money; the customer only cares that they are being ripped off no matter how great the service.

You should sympathize with the customer since in the end you are the customer and not the corporations that makes money off you. 

@SonicBoom

Yes I'm upset that a "doorbell" has the audacity of charging me a service fee. what is next? my toaster for monitoring the number of toasts that I burn a year? or how about a subscription fee for your fridge and we all know that is coming soon.

Every product should have a free level.

Free - very basic level of service, product is usable - this should be included in all products to give the customer a choice.

monthly - cloud recording retention monthly service

yearly - cloud recording retention yearly

yes, I am providing information for the next customer about Ring so when they do their research they will find this post and be warned about the fees that are hidden. 

If I were to buy a Dorrbell again, I'll have to research deeper next time. yes... I do have to watch out for the new Cloud Toasters.

Legendary Oracle

[ Edited ]

ralphael wrote:

@Elico47 and @SonicBoom and @Drax86

why are the three of you attacking me and kudos'ing each other. It is like a high-fiving on wining an arguement against a single customer.

Hi @ralphael I would kudo your posts as well if I felt that they deserve a comendation. I do not agree with your point of view as a customer and as a previous business owner.

Especially you@Elico47  as someone that works at BestBuy.  You should never lecture a customer on how businesses needs to make money; the customer only cares that they are being ripped off no matter how great the service.

Whether I am a Best Buy employee or a business owner, or a customer, if I feel that if a customer has a misunderstanding of how things work, then I should enlighten that same person, so as to help that person gain a better understanding. This is paramount in business(As I mentioned earlier) and keeping the customer's faith. If you think you are being ripped off, you should avoid making the transcation.

You should sympathize with the customer since in the end you are the customer and not the corporations that makes money off you. 

As a customer, I understand that the fees I pay for an item or service, go towards feeding others down the chain, while keeping them gainfully employed. Do you?

When it comes right down to the points you made, it's great the Arlo gives you some limited cloud support, and seemingly so far they are about the only such company to do so, whereas as most all others charge for that cloud storage fee, and even technical support.

If you wanted to do more research on how to "have your cake and eat it too", you may want to consider ways of integrating those devices using alternative methods. Did you know that Best Buy Canada offers a FREE inter-active in-store consultation service to it's clients, with a qualified Geek Squad Agent?

Cosidering the technologies available these days, I don't think it would be too difficult to have your own storage system to access in case of security and smart home devices.

Luminary
0 Kudos

@Elico47,

I don't want your kudos but it is really irritating to see three against one, with everyone high-fiving each other as though this is a high school debate team.

You are arguing against a customer? is this what this forum is about, teaching the customer that he is wrong? That he should accept that the cost of doing business and that the customer should pay for all the services that is part of the product and he should accept that and simply hand over the money?

I am not here to get educated on the ever expanding cost of owning tech equipment nor do I need consultation services to arrange my tech gadgets.

When I buy a product, I just want it to work as advertised. I don't want to spend more money especially for features that I barely and rarely use like the recording. Just need to know who activated the motion sensor and thats it.

As an admin on this forum, a business owner and a guy who works at BestBuy,It isn't your job to educate a customer on the cost of doing business; really.

I do find all these posts very patronizing and this forum shouldn't operate at this kind of beratement level.

Peer to Peer help is great in choosing a stereo, but for an admin to berate a customer when he complains about the cost of  cloud service on a Doorbell, this is a store that I will boycott in the future.

Where do you work, let me know so I'll make sure that I will never visit that store. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I think we got your point after your first point.  Now, you're just ranting.

I'm kudoing others whose opinion, I agree with.  If you had something I agreed with I would kudo you too, but you don't.

Highlighted
Legendary Hero of the Universe

@ralphael,   @Elico47  is not an Admin, he is just an employee who chooses to post on this board in their free time in order to try and help people, just like any of the other users on this board.

You are free to have your thoughts about the product, but it does work as advertised (in my opinion) as its advertised as a doorbell with a live video feed with optional recording for a fee

Luminary
0 Kudos

@SonicBoom

I have no need for kudos, thank you. 

@Drax86@SonicBoom@Elico47

I do see what you three are doing. This is your main reason that the three of you are giving out kudos to each other. 

topkudos.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

Actually this sums it up a lot better...

thissaysitall.jpg

I believe it's more a question of circumstances than anything else, they are active users, super users in some instances, it's just that perhaps some people consider these things thoroughly and stop at purchase if they are having the free tier as requirement for usage.

Discussions about modding here is not allowed, but research allows to see what this device truly is capable of in knowledgeable hands regardless of the manufacturer's firmware etc.

I think they offered a trial to these services, akin to GoPro with their cloud service with no free tier.

I must admit not having local recording capabilities out the box is sad for someone who wants control of the data like me, but there was no indication it was possible either from the basic intel I read about the product so I would never buy it based on that parameter.

Sorry you felt that way, it doesn't mean disagreement didn't historically appear between these users not representing Best Buy.

I was agreeing with part of the message, but not necessarily approving original threads unless compelling to me personally, any valuable information should be taken into consideration regardless of user preferences which obviously vary.
Legendary Oracle

ralphael wrote:

@Elico47,

I don't want your kudos but it is really irritating to see three against one, with everyone high-fiving each other as though this is a high school debate team.

You are arguing against a customer? is this what this forum is about, teaching the customer that he is wrong? That he should accept that the cost of doing business and that the customer should pay for all the services that is part of the product and he should accept that and simply hand over the money?

I don't feel that there is any issue to argue about, I am responding to your "warning" about the cloud services, which you as a consumer feel you deserve for free. I am not saying you are wrong to ask for such a service, I'm acknowledging a fact that you stated about the service being an option, which was clearly stated.

The alternative to not paying for product or services is considered theft by some, and I'm sure it's not what you're alluding to.

I am not here to get educated on the ever expanding cost of owning tech equipment nor do I need consultation services to arrange my tech gadgets.

Ok, I think I understand the aim of your post may very well be to rant about Ring Doorbell, because you are vexed about it, as you mentioned.That's partly what this forum is for.

When I buy a product, I just want it to work as advertised. I don't want to spend more money especially for features that I barely and rarely use like the recording. Just need to know who activated the motion sensor and thats it.

I know, but this feature and price was pointed out to you prior to purchase, I hope somone else comes out with a competitive product.

As an admin on this forum, a business owner and a guy who works at BestBuy,It isn't your job to educate a customer on the cost of doing business; really.

As mentioned by @Drax86 and @ElijahZuB, I am not a Moderator on this Forum, tho I do spend a lot of time here because I like to help people when I can.

I do find all these posts very patronizing and this forum shouldn't operate at this kind of beratement level.

Didn't mean to be patronizing, but as I mentioned earlier, I felt that your post about "corporations making money off you" reminded me of the old "Down with the establishement, stick it to the man, power to the people" days of the 60's and 70's. and it needed a response in my opinion.

Peer to Peer help is great in choosing a stereo, but for an admin to berate a customer when he complains about the cost of  cloud service on a Doorbell, this is a store that I will boycott in the future.

As mentioned before, I am not an administrator/moderator, and I only use this forum on my personal free time, yes this peer to peer is great for more than just finding a stereo system, or discuss the virtues and shortcomings of a product that Best Buy sells or provides. This is the kind of feedback that a purchasing agent will need to know, in order to provide better selection to their client.

Where do you work, let me know so I'll make sure that I will never visit that store. 

I am not based out of any Best Buy store, so you really shouldn't have to worry about running into me at any of the Best Buy stores.

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

@ralphael my suggestion to you is to research before you shop.

Actually this just doesn't apply to shopping, but life in general.

I couldn't care less about kudos.  I am just not afraid to call bull when I see it.