Reply
Highlighted
Luminary
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Failed Audiophile School

I am a very subjective artsy type person and I will admit to listening to a variety of music in surround sound PLII Music mode. I love the fact that PLII will try to separate the various stereo channels into an artsy surround effect.

 

I've had these large speakers Bose 601 for a week now recommended by @Elico47 and for the life of me, I could not tell the difference between these expensive speakers versus my acoustimass 5.1 cube speakers which were also expensive back in the days.

 

Granted, you could hear the midrange much more clearly and sometimes on equal footing with the tweeters, the whole system sounded noisey rather than clear and distinct. Where-as the acoustimass cubes sounded much more distinct because they lack the mid-range sound.

 

and than there is the bass or the lack thereof, there wasn't any, or very light, I had to use my semi expensive woofer that I bought from Best-buy before the whole room fills with music; which was great... but....

 

I have two large speakers in the front now, two large speakers in the back and a huge subwoofer that dominates my corner. It was too late to reclaim my acoustimass speakers and my tiny subwoofer since I sold them all this week.

 

So today I started to play around with the settings on my receiver and there are just so many.... I went back to the speaker pattern to change over to 3/2 rather than 3/2.1 omitting the subwoofer just to see how the speakers were at standalone and to find that there was no difference.  I also made sure that the speaker types were set to large speaker. 

 

It was frustrating, really. 

 

Perhaps setting it to stereo would make a difference and back in I went to find it is was still set to 3/2.1?

 

Setting it back to 3/2 and this time I clicked on center button on the remote and up came a prompt to save?

 

like "what the hello mr sony!!" none of the other functions has this extra save. So I saved.... and 

 

whoa.... you could hear the difference immediately. I turned off my subwoofer and this time I could hear and feel the bass from my 601 woofers. Since there was no arbitrarily cutoff of frequency chosen by Sony, the midrange was clear and smooth with no harshness that is usually created with missing frequencies.

 

As I am typing this up, my subwoofer is packed up with my Best Buy online receipt printed, ready to be taken back to Best Buy.

 

Although I have some particular taste in what I hear, I will admit that with today technology and the multitude of options, I will never become a true audiophile. Now that I have found the options that works, I am inclined to leave it like this forever until @Elico47 tells me that I should change my ...

 

 

 

 

Legendary Oracle
Posts: 928
Registered: ‎11-16-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School

I don't recall making any recommendation of the Bose speakers that you purchased, or suggesting to you that Bose is a good choice for surround sound, let alone stereo.

I did in fact state that out of the entire line, I felt that the 601's were the best sounding in the Bose line-up. I still did not recommend that you purchase them, (that was a decision you made) if anything I suggested that you consider alternative choices, as did another member in this forum, and various people on-line, when talking about Bose in general.

I did my best to enlighten you about the Bose design and philosphy, but it seems to me that you are devoted to this brand, even though I mentioned it was the worst choice for surround sound and stereo sound.

When it comes to music, I still recommend that it be listend to in stereo mode, not surround sound (PLII etc..) because the artist went to a particular venue to record their song for a reason, being the acoustics of the enviornment. Re-playing these tracks in surround mode, will detract from the ambiance of the recording and re-create a superfecial ambiance, and if used with Bose's Direct/Reflecting speakers, will further detract from that sound quality.

I would urge you to re-read my posts about this issue, and again point out directly, to reconsider your choice of speaker selection.

IMO, If you are content with the status quo, than leave it as is. If you are not, than find a way to make a comparison, so that you can better understand what people are trying to tell you. It doesn't take magical ears to become an audiophile, you simply have to enjoy music.



Luminary
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School

@Elico47 You sound offended? My apologies.

 

The gist of the post is that I do like my 601s... without the subwoofer.

 

Apparently turning on the 3/2.1 on the receiver cuts off the bass and some midrange to the 601s which defeats the purpose of purchasing large speakers. Leaving the setting at 3/2 on the receiver rectifies the output to large speakers.

 

You did well in suggesting that the 601s were the best of the Bose. 

Luminary
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School

you know what @Elico47, I am going to take back my apologies for you being offended. The second time I met you here about my doorbell, you were an antagonistic arogant forum poster that thinks he knows it all. I'll admit that you have so many terminologies that will impress anyone listening to you, but it turns out that you are just a very noisey poster.

My apologies is that I actually listened to you in changing my speakers. I have re-read all your posts and I'm now offended especially the last one. You are just a totall .....


Elico47 wrote:

I don't recall making any recommendation of the Bose speakers that you purchased, or suggesting to you that Bose is a good choice for surround sound, let alone stereo.

I did in fact state that out of the entire line, I felt that the 601's were the best sounding in the Bose line-up. I still did not recommend that you purchase them, (that was a decision you made) if anything I suggested that you consider alternative choices, as did another member in this forum, and various people on-line, when talking about Bose in general.

I did my best to enlighten you about the Bose design and philosphy, but it seems to me that you are devoted to this brand, even though I mentioned it was the worst choice for surround sound and stereo sound.

When it comes to music, I still recommend that it be listend to in stereo mode, not surround sound (PLII etc..) because the artist went to a particular venue to record their song for a reason, being the acoustics of the enviornment. Re-playing these tracks in surround mode, will detract from the ambiance of the recording and re-create a superfecial ambiance, and if used with Bose's Direct/Reflecting speakers, will further detract from that sound quality.

I would urge you to re-read my posts about this issue, and again point out directly, to reconsider your choice of speaker selection.

IMO, If you are content with the status quo, than leave it as is. If you are not, than find a way to make a comparison, so that you can better understand what people are trying to tell you. It doesn't take magical ears to become an audiophile, you simply have to enjoy music.


 

Legendary Oracle
Posts: 928
Registered: ‎11-16-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School

"My apologies is that I actually listened to you in changing my speakers. I have re-read all your posts and I'm now offended especially the last one. You are just a totall ....."

Smiley FrustratedThat's the problem @ralphael, you wern't listening to what I , or others were trying to tell you.

You jumped on my statement about the 601's, without paying attention to the preceding words, and decided to purchase both used sets of speakers on-line. I tried to politely inform you that this was not a wise choice and offered some alternatives, but again, I discovered tht you like Bose.

How you feel, and what you do, is up to you. I was providing my personal opinion, which is what this forum is about.

 



Luminary
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School


Elico47 wrote:

:That's the problem @ralphael, you wern't listening to what I , or others were trying to tell you.

 


 

The arrogance, obnoxiousness and rudeness of the young. really....  They believe that they are absolutely right and they want everyone to listen to them and when you don't.... they say things like the above. Like what the?

 

Thje problem is that this post isn't about how bad the Bose is but rather

 

the post is about a setting on the receiver that everyone should know about... and that is to set the receiver to 3/2 instead of 3/2.1 otherwise you get no bass.

 

However mr @Elico47 goes off on a rant thinking that I blamed him for buying  bad speakers.

 

I think the speakers are great

 

and being not an audiophile I love listening to my music in PLII music format and not as the recording industry intended. This is all commented by mr @Elico47 in the previous post that I should listen in stereo in order to be an audiophile.

 

Mr. @@Elico4, youi can go... eat a banana... and dish your audiophile knowledge elsewhere... you are full of nonsense I say which is just my opinion.

 

Thank you for not recommending Bose.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 582
Registered: ‎01-13-2012

Re: Failed Audiophile School

I read your post and was just going to question why your 3.0 setting had more bass than 3.1.

 

My only guess is that somehow the subwoofer was not connected or set up properly.

 

When you set the receiver to 3.1, it will filter out the low frequencies and send it out the subwoofer channel to your dedicated subwoofer, which should be able to really hit the low tones when set up properly.

 

When you set the receiver to 3.0, it will send all low frequencies out  to your regular (stereo) speakers because you are telling it there is no subwoofer available.

 

If you hear more bass when 3.0, then something tells me that your subwoofer was not operating properly.  Now this is all moot now that you have decided to return your sub anyway.

Luminary
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School


SonicBoom wrote:

I read your post and was just going to question why your 3.0 setting had more bass than 3.1.

 

My only guess is that somehow the subwoofer was not connected or set up properly.

 

When you set the receiver to 3.1, it will filter out the low frequencies and send it out the subwoofer channel to your dedicated subwoofer, which should be able to really hit the low tones when set up properly.

 

When you set the receiver to 3.0, it will send all low frequencies out  to your regular (stereo) speakers because you are telling it there is no subwoofer available.

 

If you hear more bass when 3.0, then something tells me that your subwoofer was not operating properly.  Now this is all moot now that you have decided to return your sub anyway.



been reading up on this all morning.

 

I did not know that setting to 3/2.1 would turn off the bass on the front speakers.

 

I had thought that I would get bass from all speakers with a little extra thump on the subwoofer.

 

It was seamless when I had it set up initially. Full surround sound with great bass. It was when playing music that because I live in an apartment I felt the bass was overwhelming so I would turn it down. That was when I noticed that the front speakers was lacking the bass, sounding much like my old satelite speakers. This was why I kept questioning on what am I listening to?

 

minus the subwoofer, the new large speakers sounded exactly like my old acoustimass. 

 

So when I finally found out how to set the 3/2.1 back to 3/2.0, the speakers came to life with full bass.

 

What I had wanted was to have both the large speakers and subwoofer with bass.

 

 

 

I could use speaker level connection to the subwoofer giving me the best of both worlds; output of bass from my front speakers and output of bass from my subwoofer. Only problem is that I will lose LFE if I connected the subwoofer this way.

 

Using line level will give me both the bass and LFE but no bass from my front speakers. The problem is as noted before that the cutoff frequency on my front speakers without bass leaves me feeling like I have satellite speakers in a large cabinet. but yes with the proper adjustment on the subwoofer I can get seamless sound with great thumps.

 

 

I have been searching for a solution to get bass all around.

 

Open to suggestions.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 582
Registered: ‎01-13-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School

When you set up your receiver, did you run through the test tones on the receiver?

 

Your receiver should have a regular RCA cable out for the subwoofer.  The subwoofer has its own power and when on it may have one or two settings on the back.  You need to properly connect your receiver to your sub via the subwoofer out channel.  Then you have to enable it on your receiver settings.

 

I have a test tone CD which I bought which runs through the test tones from very low to very high frequencies.  You can really hear the sub on the low frequencies.  However, most modern receivers have their own built-in-tests.  You can also buy test discs from Disney or other third party companies who make test DVDs/Blu-rays.

 

Those would be used to test your setup.  I haven't done mine in years.  I did it when I first set it up and haven't touched it since so I don't know what's available anymore.

 

However, you've already returned it, haven't you?

Luminary
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-06-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Failed Audiophile School


SonicBoom wrote:

When you set up your receiver, did you run through the test tones on the receiver?

 

Your receiver should have a regular RCA cable out for the subwoofer.  The subwoofer has its own power and when on it may have one or two settings on the back.  You need to properly connect your receiver to your sub via the subwoofer out channel.  Then you have to enable it on your receiver settings.

 

I have a test tone CD which I bought which runs through the test tones from very low to very high frequencies.  You can really hear the sub on the low frequencies.  However, most modern receivers have their own built-in-tests.  You can also buy test discs from Disney or other third party companies who make test DVDs/Blu-rays.

 

Those would be used to test your setup.  I haven't done mine in years.  I did it when I first set it up and haven't touched it since so I don't know what's available anymore.

 

However, you've already returned it, haven't you?


Actually I earballed it :-P and it actually sounded pretty good. The bass and even the midrange was iperfect. Really!!

 

It was when I turned down the subwoofer volume that I notice that the front speakers were a bit hollow. With the subwoofer it was a dream in heaven. 

 

yes unfortunately I did return it but it is a toss up on whether or not I might pick up the other one the klipsch r10sw 10" 300-watt powered subwoofer. or I could wait again for the one I did buy to go on sale again.

 

But my whole problem with the sub-woofer is that it takes away from my large speakers in the sense that book speakers will do the job just as well.

 

Without the subwoofer I get solid sound with good solid bass; but not as thumpy as with a subwoofer. The subwoofer filled the room with ambience and bass, where-as the large front speakers are just very good if you get my drift.

 

The $50 savings on the klipsch is till may 25th of which knowing BB, they would probably have the other one on sale again.