Highlighted
Luminary

Polk Audio PSW10 versus Klipsch R10SW

The Polk Audio went on a one day sale again so I decided to buy it and compare it with the Klipsch. The two specs that I'm interested in was the following.

Klipsch 32HZ - 120HZ 300W

Polk Audio 40HZ - 200HZ 100W

Could I tell the difference?

Can I save money by going with the Polk and returning the Klipsch?

So this is how I tested. I threw them both side by side in the corner and plugged them into separate ihome Smartplugs to allow me to turn on and off each subwoofer independantly. I then adjusted each individually so that they blended in. Turning them on and off gave me a good indication of how much blending I got. 

I then spent the next 6 hours listening to my library of music using google's random mixing. I would leave it on one subwoofer then switch to the other one. Sometimes when a music is bass heavy, I would restart the music with the other subwoofer.

I then went on the interent reading the various articles of 30hz versus 40hz and there are a lot of writers out there that has a lot of technical knowledge that is telling you that it makes no difference. Long winded articles that compares various songs with other songs. Some articles even tell you that unless you listen to organs, you will never hear music at 30HZ.

However as I listen to my music library, I am sad to say that I can actually hear the difference.  Sad because the difference will cost me $250.

In fact the polk matches my Bose 601 woofer bottomost frequency so exactly, that turning on and off the polk subwoofer only makes the drums and bass louder.

Where-as turning on and off the Klipsch you can hear the sub-woofer extending the drums, bass guitar and other instruments into a much bassier solid sound. In fact you can feel the sound rather then hearing it.  You can hear the difference with Boyz in the Hood by Jordan Sparks

So yeah, 30 HZ versus 40 HZ, you won't need to listen to organs to hear the difference. 

Legendary Oracle

Re: Polk Audio PSW10 versus Klipsch R10SW

There are reasons why you heard and felt a difference between the 2 subwoofers @ralphael

When it comes to frequency, the lower the frequency, more power, and cone surface area is needed to reproduce it properly.

There are numerous manufacturers that use "slave drivers" aka "passive Radiators, (ABR) "Ausilliary Bass Radiator", which increae the overall surface are, and operate at lower fundemental resonance than the active (powered) speaker driving it, such as Definitive Technology"s Super Cube 2000 .

There are a host of musical instruments that will produce frequencies below 30Hz. The lowest musical note attainable by a musical instrument, is 16Hz., the instrument being a pipe organ with very long pipes, which are needed to create that wavelength.

Also cabinet size and type will make a difference in the amount of air that the loudspeaker can "push".

Construction and design type of the speaker's cabinet, and especially the speaker's basket and cone material, including voice coil size will also be detrimental to the resulting sound quality.

When it comes to power, having more power will allow the speaker to better reproduce dynamics and provide better resolution of lower harmonics, without the amplifier losing control of the speaker's motion, this is referred to as damping factor, which in essence is the ability of the amplifier, to control the speaker's motional feedback.

So, even if both units were set to the same crossover frequency, the Klipsch's additional power, provided better resolution as you noted, because it had more power and it's crossover allowed for lower frequency extension. Also driver construction and design affected the result.