Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

S-video to HMDI conversion?

Hi.  I have a Pioneer DVR-633H-s video recorder/player and a Sony KDL-32EX340 TV. The DVR connects through S-video and the TV only has an HDMI connection port.

What do I need to make theseboxes play nicely together?

hanks for any suggestions...

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: S-video to HMDI conversion?

Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plug-in forum @hhipkins Smiley Happy

The adapter you need is available to order, you can find a Startech S-Vdeo to HDMI converter here .

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi @hhipkins!

I checked out both devices on google, and noticed that the TV has a component input; however if you look closely at the input, there is a composite option attached to it if you use the yellow video cable and plug it into the green input on the component option (right-hand side of the component input). The video recorder that you're using has both S-Video and composite video (yellow, red and white cable) options.

This means you could use a simple composite video cable to connect the recorder to the TV and save yourself the ridiculous amount of money that one of the S-video to HDMI converters would cost you.

For example: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/insignia-insignia-1-8m-6-ft-composite-av-cable-ns-hz504-c-ns-hz5...

This is much cheaper than the converter mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

JB

Legendary Epic Genius

While it is much cheaper to use the composite cable, there will be a drastic difference in video quality between S-video and composite.

You will not see everything DVD has to offer if you are watching through a composite cable.

Having said that, you may be saving yourself $30.00?

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

More like $160.

JB

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

For best picture quality I'd recommend using a Component to HDMI adapter.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Juice0904 wrote:
More like $160.

JB

Gee, if it is that much money you are probably better off taking the drive out of that DVR and connecting it through a computer to extract the video out at the highest quality.

I thought this DVR only had S-video out?  No component out.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I may have misinterpreted you. The converter Elico posted above costs significantly more than the composite cable.

The DVR does not have component out. It has composite out which was where my suggestion came from.

JB

hb The Captain
The Captain
0 Kudos

Juice0904 wrote:
The DVR does not have component out. It has composite out which was where my suggestion came from.

Pioneer's web page for the DVR-633H-S, as well as the user manual available on Pioneer's web site indicates this DVR has a component video output.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

If it does have component out, I would get the component-to-HDMI cable converter if such a thing exists.

However, is the original issue just to get the video out of the DVR?  Is it not a hard drive inside the DVR?  Can it be taken out via computer USB cable?

I don't own a DVR so I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, that may be a cheaper solution that would preserve the video quality of your data.