afishynado
0 Kudos

TV Calibration Service

Are people here happy with the calibration services of Best Buy?

I bought an LG55LW5700 a few months ago and had it calibrated recently and I don't really see much of a difference.  I was expecting to see a night and day difference from what I've heard.  Is there any way to check that the calibration was done properly?

Eli47
Emerging Member

Re: TV Calibration Service

Yes it makes a difference, in games and movies. For example, in Batman movies, typically all you'd see is black screen in darker scenes, to the point of no detail, after ISF calibration, I could actually see the movie..,for a change.

Colours are more real, lifelike, not over coloured like in commercials. Print is more legible when I plug in my laptop and email is easier to read.

So yes I think I got my money's worth both in TV and having the service done..,it also uses less power.

xl
Plug-in Legend
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

thx1138
Aspiring Member
0 Kudos

Like everything else in life, sometimes people can make mistakes or have a bad day. Im not saying the tech had a bad day or make a mistake, but anything is possible.

Can you post the settings as left, along with the make and type of TV? Then I can tell you if its about right. I can usually tell a rookie calibration done a mile off as usually they miss out on disabling 1 or 2 fundamental things, or forgetting to get the native aspect ratio right.

A tech will also leave you or email you a chart showing a before and after. Detailing things like gamma, and RGB points plotted against a colour sharkfin shape chart.

Also, you could also hire an independent cali tech (either ISF or THX certified) to double check it.

Imaging Science Foundation Level 2 Certified Calibrator. THX Certified Professional. Home and Commercial audio/video installer. DCS Member (Digital Cinema Society) SMPTE Member (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers)

"What does a LEDLCD Tv want to be when it grows up? ....A plasma!"
Elico47
Best Buy
0 Kudos

I had my Plasma calibrated, and after I did Mine, my roomate got his 3 year older plasma calibrated by Geek Squad, having tried to do it himself using Calibration set up Blu Rays that he bought and with info he compiled on-line.

I LOVE my TV and now my Roomate really enjoys his as well..,however he had to re-discover all his gaming maps, as he now sees details he didn't pay attention to before. As for me, I can now read emails from my couch.

Most people at first don't like the "paler" look of a calibrated TV, because it doesn't "pop" at you, it's not till later that they realise how much more they actually see, or notice that things look natural..,as they should, or else we'd call it photoshop TV.

You can always switch to a factory pre-set like "Dynamic" "Vivid" etc. just to compare the ISF setting your agent used. More than likely the "Movie" or "Theater" mode was calibrated to ISF standards.