Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Which "unobtainable" audio/ video gear do you desire most

well.... you have set this in motion.... and I'm picking up the 601 and perhaps the 301's too... for the rear? what say you?

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

The 301's would be a nice match to compliment the 601's as they use the same tweeter.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Elico47 wrote:

The 301's would be a nice match to compliment the 601's as they use the same tweeter.

well you made it happen. I guess I got to get the four speakers now.... picking them up at 8pm tonight. 

So what do I do for the center speaker? just use the VHS-10? and how about the polk sub that is arriving Tuesday?

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Yes, keep the same center speaker, the Polk Audio PSW10 will work well with the 601's, I'd suggest setting it's crossover at approx.., 70-80Hz, you may not need to raise it off the floor as much as your existing sub, I would say a few inches (4-8) would do the trick.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Well @Elico47 you did it. You are the best salesperson ever!! and it is a good thing this one craigs post had all four speakers for sale.

So now I just have to wait till tomorrow to get some cheap speaker wires :-P and I promise to build bridges for them to keep them off the floor :-P 

This has better sound good..... otherwise I want my money back!!

Luminary
0 Kudos

Ok I think I made a mistake here. I got the 601 series IV and apparently the internet doesn't quite like the series IV. Oh well...

Legendary Oracle

As I said, of all the Bose models, I feel that the 601 series sounds best. I realize that the series IV is a radical change from the 601 series I, II, and III, I would say the overall qualities are similar.

You noted, "the internet" also doesn't like Bose (not just series IV), you might find many suggestions and opinions for alternative speakers, as I suggested.

As I said in a previous post on another string, " next to computers and cars, the audio industry is the most opinionated in the world."

I would encourage you to play your favourite song on your system, then go to any audio shop with a sound room, to listen to other brands and see what you notice in the music, that you may not have at home.

The best listening enviornment is in your own home, this is a great opportunity to ask the shop keeper, to borrow their demo model (with a deposit for the full amount) and take it home and listen to it on your own system.

Pssst, this is a great way to try Speakers from Best Buy too, I remember a few clients returning speakers that were " recommended by a buddy, or a test report" because, they didn't match the amplifier they were connected to,or enviornment they were in . This returned equipment created an "open box"  which was sold with full warranty, at a discount. Smiley Wink

If you plan to shop for used equipment on line, keep in mind that the front, center and rear speakers should match in timbre, or at least the have the same tweeter.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Thanks again Elico47... for taking the time to share your knowledge on speakers.

I will see how well this works out in the next few days after I get some speaker wires.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Does Best Buy allow you to take speakers home to test drive them?

The Captain

No they do not, but their return policies are excellent should you decide within 30 days that the product you bought does not deliver the sound quality you thought it was going to.

A little off topic, you will find a lot of Bose-bashing on the internet but it's important to note, as Elico has, this stems mainly from their Acoustimass and Lifestyle systems as well as the Wave radio. I think they sound pretty awful for the prices they charge, the "bass module" doesn't hit anywhere near as low as most entry-level 5.1 speaker systems with dinky satellite speakers do (you know, the ones that usually come with 8" 100W subs...they can usually hit 35Hz) and have huge gaps in frequency response due to impossibly small cube speakers....but the "Spousal Acceptance Factor" is high.

I don't really like anything by Bose as I find the quality of other products for the same price is far superior but that's just one dude's opinion.

Last year at TAVES in Toronto I got to listen to the Magico S5 MKII loudspeakers. The entire system was of course millions of miles outside of my budget, but this is what the rest of the components were:

KRONOS Pro turntable: 38,000 USD
KRONOS Black Beauty tonearm: 8,500 USD
KRONOS SCPS-1 Super Capacitor Power Supply: 13,500 USD
Magico S5 MKII speakers: 38,000 USD
CH Precision M1 Power Amps (one per speaker): 94,750 USD (pair)
CH Precision P1 Phono stage: 25,000 USD

I had my copy of Dire Straits Communique from WB 2009 cut all analogue from the original analogue stereo master by Bernie Grundman and pressed at Pallas, they played the opening cut and then the guy asked me if we could keep listening to the next song, lol  - wow, effortless, wonderfully deep, tight, impactful bass, I was in heaven for those two tracks and this system was my choice for best in show.

Unfortunately I can't seem to post a pic as it's telling me pic size must be 100K? Who can see anything from a pic that small?