Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Nintendo Switch Game Prices Are Anti-Consumer - Explanation is Needed

Regarding pre-orders, Bestbuy dont charge you till shipment anyways and im sure the true price will be up a good amount of time before it ships out so i say pre-order then either cancel or keep it depending on the price change. Takes a bit more effort since you gotta keep checking the price but hey we already putting some nice effort by posting on this forum xD

Luminary
0 Kudos

Amazing wrote:

R_Longshaft wrote:

In all reality the only reason the price is ridiculous right now is because it is not equivalent exchange with the American prices. When you think about gaming is actually probably too cheap right now and $99 is probably more in line with how much games *should* be costing. Game prices haven't really gone up that much over the years (in fact they've gone down) while the work that goes into them has increased exponentially.

I think $60 USD is the sweet spot, increase it and risk decreasing sales and overall profit.

Home console games have been $60USD since XBOX 360 back in 2005, based on inflation adjustments alone by 2010 that was about $67 USD, Now $100 CAD to USD to approximately $75 USD currently, so to say that in the 7 years since those inflation calculations were done that inflation would raise the price by $8 is actually pretty reasonable and that doesn't take into account all the extra work hours and money that goes into many major titles nowadays.

For a little extra consideration NES games when adjusted to 2010 for inflation were $60-$100, SNES $80-$96, N64 $70, and PS2 $63. So games have, despite the jumps in work hours, power and graphics have actually gotten cheaper over the years, now I would be as sad as anyone else if I have to consistently start opening my wallet wider for new games, but we shouldn't act like it's unreasonable. It might hurt sales a bit, but maybe not overall profit? I always find the selling more at a lower price vs less at a higher price an interesting discussion that I feel doesn't scew consistently in either direction.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

It took me five months to save up my allowance to buy GORF for the VIC-20 for $40 CDN in 1983.

This was from Compucentre!  (No longer a competitor!)