Highlighted
The Captain
0 Kudos

Bought my Nintendo Switch from a Guy at a Shell Gas Station(Gift receipt from Best Buy)

Well I am a hard core Zelda fan but I was prepare to wait for the next shipment but I almost snagged one at *competitor*; got it into the online cart and was trying to check out and the webpage hanged... by the time it refreshed, the Switch wasn't available.

Same thing happened here on BestBuy when I saw "1" available... I don't know if it was a system glitch but I got it into my shopping basket and again the Website hanged when trying to check out.

I keep telling myself I can wait.... I can wait.... whoa someone says that there is another shipment in April.

I took a look at cra***list... and several sellers with questionable sales of Nintendo Switches on there. Some of them says sealed box, so how do I know if I'm buying a box full of rocks or a legit Nintendo.

Yes I said to myself.... "I can wait"...

but for fun I decided to text message 2 adverts. One answered before the other and said the Grey Switch was still available. He tells me that there are two people waiting for it but first come first serve. I am guessing that nobody wants to pay a hundred dollar more. The second ad guy messages me back and says the same thing. Price is firm ($100 more). 

I answered the first guy and say "as long as I can take it out of the box and check it out" and he says "nintendo no longer seals their boxes anymore". So I say Ok... meet at 7:30pm

I had my dash cam record his car license plate number in case all of this goes down wrong..... I kept thinking that this might be a bad idea.... but he turns out to be a young university guy. 

I asked him "So how did you manage to get one?" and he replies that he was at Coquitlam Best Buy and they had a bunch so he bought one for himself and another for sale. I opened the box and it look legit. The guy even encouraged me to check out the rest of the packaging but the young guy looked so honest that I said it was fine.

He even gave me a gift receipt from Best Buy for warranty purposes and even a Best Buy bag.

So I bought it. I even kept the dash cam recording of his vehicle license as I was following out of the shell gas station. 

Got it home and plugged it in. It all worked.

This was the first time that I ever did something like this and I thought I would share my experiences. 

Would you venture to do the same?

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Bought my Nintendo Switch from a Guy at a Shell Gas Station(Gift receipt from Best Buy)

I personally would not, but I know a lot of people that have done it. I don't like to pay more for something just to get it now instead of later

The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: Bought my Nintendo Switch from a Guy at a Shell Gas Station(Gift receipt from Best Buy)

totally... I felt so abashed for doing this, which is why I felt that if I confess what I did, I might feel better :-P

however I've been playing Zelda now for a few days (such a great game) and I'm so glad that I did what I did... not that I am encouraging anyone to meet up with a total stranger in a dark alley by a gas station.