Aspiring Member
0 Kudos

ps3

Is this worth buying to play bf4 on, for my son for Christmas or is it just junk ? My kids 16 and a avid on-line gamer , would he be disappointed not getting the ps4 , as it looks like with no stock ordered by the powers that be!:smileyindifferent:

Plug-in Legend

Re: ps3

[ Edited ]

Hey @PS4Hunter ,

That depends on your son.  Some people would see the PS3 and be disappointed that it was not a PS4, and some would be glad to get a PS3.

If he is always wanting to play the newest games, then the PS3 might not be the best choice since pretty soon all of the new games will only be coming out on the PS4 (in the next year or two most likely).  If he would rather have a lot of games, the PS3 has been out for a long time and there are a lot of titles, and at this point many of them will be available cheaper or previously played as people switch over to the new console. Many people but the older console when a new gen comes out since they can pick up a game library and the console for a lot less, but that is something that depends on the person.  I certainly wouldn't call it junk, but it is not the cutting edge any more and the difference in the capabilities will likely only become more pronounced as developers have more time to build for the next gen systems.

Sorry I couldn't give a more definitive answer, but I would have to know your son to know how he would react.

Lastly, there is still a chance of getting one before the big day.  More are on order, Sony just is having trouble keeping up with the demand.  I obviously can't make any promises, but keep an eye on the site and on this board.  Units have arrived in the warehouses for online order already (though they were gone within a few hours).  Good luck with whichever you decide to go with!

David G.
Multi-Channel Sales Assistant
Best Buy Kanata
(613)287-3912
Aspiring Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice ,I will hold fire until Santa gets aboard his slay :smileyhappy:

Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Based on your question, it sounds like your son already has a PS3?  In that case, I'd go ahead and buy BF4 for PS3.  If your intention is to get a PS4 in the future anyway (when you can find one), You'll have the opportunity to upgrade BF4 for just $10 to the PS4 edition.  If you can't get the PS4 before Christmas, getting BF4 for PS3 gives him the chance to open and play something on Christmas, and then he can upgrade to the PS4 version inexpensively when PS4s become more readily available.

Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Since your question seems to be asking whether or not a PS3 is worth buying, I would say yes.

The PS3 is still a very powerful gaming machine, as well as a Blu-ray player, web browser, and media hub.  The PS4 is the newer machine, but the differences are incremental from the PS3.  Since your son is 16 though, he may want the PS4 for bragging rights alone, but I would not expect a night and day difference between BF4 PS3 and BF4 PS4.

Yes, the PS4 would be better, but what has been said is true, the game library is just getting started and will be limited for the next few months.  If your son likes a lot of different games, PS3 will still have legs in this industry for at least a year and has a massive game library both in stores and online.  Also a huge glut of used games and excellent games that are just discounted.

PS4 games will all likely be in the $59.99 category for the next six months and depending on the type of games that he likes, he will have a limited selection as the PS4 is not backwards compatible.

Keep in mind also that a new PS3 starts at $199 now and may even include a game.  Games can be purchased at Best Buy, or at used outlets, online auction sites and even in thrift stores.

It does not have the glitz and glamour that the PS4 is enjoying right now, and if this is important to your son, then you might want to wait for a PS4, but practically speaking, the PS3 is still an excellent gaming machine.

Accomplished Member
0 Kudos

Most importantly, you stated your Son is 16.

Battlefield 4 is rated M:

Mature 17+
-Blood and Gore
-Intense Violence
-Strong Language

Of course, you are the Parent, and only you can decide what is appropriate for your Child.

The other issue is the continued online issues that have plagued Battlefield 4 since it's launch.

(just do an Internet search for "Battlefield 4 problems", or something similar)

The issues will likely get fixed, it's just a matter of when.

Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

I heard that the issues with BF4 are more with PS4 and not so with PS3.  Is this true?

Accomplished Member
0 Kudos

Re: "I heard that the issues with BF4 are more with PS4 and not so with PS3.  Is this true?"

Battlefield 4 patched for PS3, 'small patch' for PS4
Dec 5th 2013 12:00PM
Battlefield 4 developer DICE has rolled out a pair of patches to PlayStation platforms that should help alleviate the work needed to fix the game. The significant PlayStation 3 patch is currently available in "all territories except North America." The studio is shooting to get the NA version live "as soon as possible."

The PlayStation 4 patch is a field dressing. It fixes the "one-hit kill" bug, enables audio in video capture and should fix a crash that occurs when "having a very large amounts of Friends." Let's gloss over the face that a core competence of Battlefield is supposed to be playing with lots of friends.

DICE notes, "We are already working on the next PS4 update that will contain more fixes and have a bigger focus on game stability. Stay tuned."

The Xbox One patch is still planned for this week.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/05/battlefield-4-patched-for-ps3-small-patch-for-ps4

A few of the comments from Joystiq's article:

8bitartist
we definitely dont have a game on the 360/ps3. im sitting at my ps3 right now, not being able to even get into a single match no matter whether its through quick match or server browser. non stop "you have lost the connection to the session"

ShaneSaw
I don't know why no one is talking about how this patch broke BF4 online for the PS3. Myself and hundreds others can't get into online games or get disconnected immediately. Seems pretty bad to me. There is already 7 pages of it on the official forums. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065670194239205/7/