dcsphotography
0 Kudos

xbox 360 Kinect 4G or 250G???

I am planing on getting this system, but not really sure which one to buy.  Other than the obvious increase in storage from 4 to 250, what other reasons are there to buy the bigger one???  I mean, if I am not going to save movies and I don't have a ton of games, do I really need the bigger one, or is the 4G good enough?  What are the main advantages to the bigger one?

I have Reward Zone money which will pay for the 4g one, so just wondering if it is worth paying for the extra stuff.

Thanks.

Diane

debaser17
Plug-in Legend
0 Kudos

Re: xbox 360 Kinect 4G or 250G???

I'd absolutely recommend just going with the 250 gb now. 4 gb is really not a lot of space at all, even if you think you are not going to be saving a lot of data. Friends I have in retail have told me all too many times how often people buy the 4 gb model, with exactly the same mentality of "well, I don't plan on using a lot of memory", only to come back a short while later to purchase a larger hard drive.

The 4 gb is basically designed to have the bare minimum for a consumer to enjoy xbox. It's essentially not even enough to install 1 full disc game. Microsoft made this more affordable model with the knowledge that, as soon as people realized they needed more than 4 gb, they could easliy go out and purchase/install the larger drive. True, if you really are an occasional gamer, and you only keep a few save files, and only need to update a few titles over the years, you may well get by just fine with 4gb. But as soon as you make one decision to say, install a multi disc game, or purchase Fruit Ninja from the store for your Kinect, or adding the expanded content to a title you own, or basically utilizing your xbox for anything cool that these 3rd gen systems were designed to do, then you're looking at upgrading.

Plus, as you said, you can cover the cost of a 4GB for free. So kick in a few bucks and upgrade from what's essentially a starter model.

C0mput3r
Emerging Member
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would definitely recommend getting the 250GB one no matter what. Like the post above stated 4GB is just way too small.

Having the extra space comes in very handy especially when it comes to installing games from the disc. Installing a game makes the load times faster. With only 4GB there wouldn't be enough space to install most games out there.

You might want to purchase Xbox Arcade games that are not available for retail and can only be downloaded onto your hard drive from the Game Marketplace and Arcade games can take up anywhere from 50MB to 1GB.

Also are you going to be purchasing DLC? One of my Borderland DLC alone was almost 2GBs.

The only pro I see from the 4GB Xbox 360 is that it has a matte finish on the system where the 250GB one has a glossy finish.

I personally prefered a matte finish so when the slim came out I upgrade from my launch 360 to a 4GB and just swapped the 4GB hard drive for a 250GB one. Just a personal preference.

lazz
0 Kudos

I too like the Matte finish which is why I bought the 4G version, then waited until the HDD was on sale and bought it separate.

I do no downloading for the xbox, so I don't really use the HDD for anything other than installing the games. It's the sole purpose I got it. I really like being able to install the game to save the xbox's laser. the less use, the better. 

Now, if only microsoft would smarten up a bit and let us play multiple CD games using only 1 CD in the drive as "proof of purchase". Playing Star Ocean was really annoying having to switch CD's whenever I backtracked to get stuff. Got to the point where I just sat in front of the TV because I was doing so much back and forth, I was changing CD's every 4 minutes.

dcsphotography
0 Kudos

Thank you for the feedback.  It seems like the 250 is the way to go, and since they don't have it in stock anyway, I have more time to think about it, unfortunately. I was hoping to get it today.

I'm really looking forward to using the kinect features.  Great to use with m y friends little kids and the Animals games.

Thanks!

Diane

xxNessaSimonexx
Emerging Member
0 Kudos

I really hope you went with the 250 GB. 4GB Xbox's take 3.5GB's just to install the software anf hardware onto your system you'd be back the next day just to buy a harddrive and those are the same price as a 4GB system.

Gaming Specalist
990 -Milton