Scout
0 Kudos

Samsung latest models in tablets info needed

I want to buy a Samsung tablet, what is the latest technology...

I am not a computer whiz, just need info so I can make an educated decision...asap as my desktop is failing...

Thanks...

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Samsung latest models in tablets info needed

What kind of info are you looking for, all the tablets are good it really depends what you are looking for.

-screen size?

-budgets?

-are you set on samsung or open to other brands as well?

-What will be the main use for the tablet?

-Do you need lots of room for saving files? (pics, videos, etc)

Scout
0 Kudos

I would like to stay with Samsung, but don't want to get stuck with old technology (again)...

Budget is under $500...I'm retired on a fixed income...

Wireless output to a printer, with bluetooth connectivity to wi-fi would be useful..

Front and rear cameras...

Ability to email and text...

I don't know how to stream or netflix, but would like to learn...

Good battery life and ability to charge when I'm on the road would be helpful...

Legendary Epic Genius

Hi there,

some of these features you want are going to need some expansion on as they are potentially not possible.

To start off, what do you mean by old technology? Tablets are "old" in less than a year, that doesn't mean they are bad or all of a sudden won't support the applications you want. I've had customers come to me with an iPad 2 which was released in 2011 and it still works just fine for basic tasks.

Bluetooth connectivity to wifi needs clarification, as wireless is its own connectivity standard independent of Bluetooth. That being said, all tablets have both wifi and Bluetooth built in, just like a smart phone. Same goes for cameras.

Email all tablets can do as well, texting will be a problem as you would need some sort of mobile service from a carrier such as Rogers/Bell/Telus, etc. Though I do not believe tablets support this feature at this time, a SIM card would strictly be for data usage. So if this is the case, a larger smartphone would be your only option.

Streaming Netflix is easy, you either download the app and login with your credentials, or visit Netflix.com and do the same, pick the show/movie you want to watch and go at it.

Finally, ability to charge on the road, short of getting a 12v car adapter or mobile battery pack, this is not possible to be done wirelessly.

Keep in mind a tablet is not designed to replace a desktop computer, and I will strongly disagree with whoever thinks it goes.

Hope that helps,

Cheers
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Denj wrote:

I would like to stay with Samsung, but don't want to get stuck with old technology (again)...

Budget is under $500...I'm retired on a fixed income...

Wireless output to a printer, with bluetooth connectivity to wi-fi would be useful..

Front and rear cameras...

Ability to email and text...

I don't know how to stream or netflix, but would like to learn...

Good battery life and ability to charge when I'm on the road would be helpful...

Denj, I think all of those features are pretty basic features for tablets.  In fact, those are all pretty much available on the latest smartphones as well.  You should have no problem finding a tablet that will do those features.

My suggestion is to prioritize your list above to see what is most important and what is least important.

Get a basic tablet that covers your features, but also invest in a wireless printer, and a bluetooth keyboard for email.  When you say "charge when I'm on the road", I assume you mean in a car.  If so, most modern cars come with a USB port for charging, and older cars can use a USB adapter for the car lighter to charge.

If you mean some other form of transportation, look into investing into a portable battery like those made by Mophie.  I travel for work, and use my battery a lot.  It is great because it means that I don't need to look around for an outlet to charge my phone.

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

You mentioned your desktop is failing thus you want to replace with a tablet.  Do you want this tablet to completely replace your desktop?  (I assume you are talking about a Windows PC.)  A tablet that runs Android may not provide all the functionalities that you maybe seeking.  Therefore you want to ask yourself whether a device that runs Windows is better for your needs.  And there are plenty of good Windows laptops that are available - eg. HP, Dell, and more - that you can choose from.