TechCowgirl
Emerging Member
0 Kudos

Tablets vs. eReaders

[ Edited ]

I've been doing a lot of research around tablets and trying to figure out the value of these devices and if I actually need one! Obviously they're really cool and have tons of features and capabilities, but here's my situation:

I have a laptop (MacBook), I have an iPhone and I have an eReader (Kobo). If I already have all of these devices, do I need a tablet too? The major thing that appeals to me is being able to upload several books to take with me when I travel (vs. lugging 5+ books around with me, which gets heavy!) but I already have a Kobo for that.

Super interested in trying out a tablet, but love to hear what other people think in terms of usability?! :womanvery-happy:

addicted to mobile phone accessories | film fanatic
von_alka
Best Buy

Re: Tablets vs. eReaders

Great Question!

Traditionally, people would decide between a desktop or a laptop and have one computer that they used.  More recently, consumers are buying multiple computing devices and then selecting the device to use that best suites the moment.

For example, since you have a Macbook, iPhone, & Kobo, you may find that you take all three devices with you when you go on a short trip.  However if you also had an iPad you may find that on short trips you would just take your iPhone & iPad with you and leave the laptop and kobo behind.

You will probably also find that there are some really cool apps that you can get and use on a tablet that you can't get on your iPhone.  Once you have a tablet, you will quickly find there will be times when you can use it to accomplish your computing needs and times when you still need the power and flexibility of a real computer.

Hope this helps.

TechCowgirl
Emerging Member

Thanks von_alka - all good points!

I never travel with my laptop...it's not a holiday unless I can leave that device at home:smileyhappy: But I always travel with my Kobo and iPhone. I didn't think about the 'iPad only' apps...would be good to access my fave magazines that way vs. toting a pile of glossies around with me. Okie doke...something to think about:smileyhappy:

addicted to mobile phone accessories | film fanatic
Mooks
Best Buy
0 Kudos

I have all of the above when it comes to devices listed, and for me at least, the tablet has become the essential item. 

I love my Kobo and it's the best for reading bar none, but it's use is obviously limited to that activity.  A tablet will allow you to check your email, browse the web, and most importantly, read magazines.  The first two are common knowledge, but most people don't realize how much superior it is reading magazines from a tablet.  

Some magazines are optimized for the iPad and have interactive videos, content, etc.  It's really something you have to experience.  There's also an app called Zimio, which allows you to download (or subscribe) to magazines at their newstand price.  I subscribed to GQ for something like a $1 an issue, and it looks gorgeous on a backlit display.  If you're sitting in a foreign country and crave some new reading material in English, you can just download the latest issue of whatever you're after without paying twice the cost.  Additional benefit, your entire magazine collection is always available to you, just in case you decide you want to give an old issue a read again. 

Shop online at www.bestbuy.ca
Follow us on Twitter @BBYCanada
debaser17
Plug-in Legend

[ Edited ]

I prefer my Kindle to a tablet for eBooks, but on the subject of magazines for tablets, don't forget about Comic Books! Comic book publishers are right now going through the same growing pains that the music industry was last decade - diminishing sales, piracy battles, etc etc. The present is probably the most interesting time for the industry in decades though, as this very month (September 2011), DC comics is relaunching all their books at #1 (even near-century old Action & Detective Comics), and more importantly, going day & date digital release, meaning that every comic will be available digitally on tablets and smartphones the same day it is released in the comic shops. This is a huge push to bring comics into the digital spotlight.

This is an exciting time for comic collectors with longboxes full of books piling up in their basements, but for tablet owners it could also be a great time to get back into the medium, or for the first time. Sure, for a lot of people, comics just aren't their thing. A lot of people will stereotype the entire genre as Superhero stories for kiddies... but to the open minded there is a lot, and I mean a LOT more out there than Capes and Cowls, and it's all going digital & on demand.

ericlewis107
Aspiring Member

I prefer tablets because their performances are faster than ebook readers.
RTotty
0 Kudos

A simple solution - treat yourself to a new tablet and sell the camera and ereader.  I'm in the very same situation you are, but I'm always looking for a larger reading screen.  I'm going to give the Kindle Fire a long hard look.

ethansamuel17
Aspiring Member

I prefer iPad 2 because its performance is faster than ebook readers and easy to use while traveling.

annaharris
Emerging Member
0 Kudos

I want to know that which one is best for someone who has low vision? My uncle wants to purchase device, which is easy to read and also be able to listen to audio books. Any suggestions?