Pioneer
0 Kudos

Canon M5 question

I'm interested in buying a Canon M5 - body only - from Best Buy.  Why can't BB supply a body, when most other dealers can?  How about some consideration for the many Canon camera owners who already have lenses and would only need a body?  If you are going to have a camera department with a good inventory of Canon lenses (which you do), this ooption should be available to customers.  I'm told I can't even special-order a body - a rather restrictive policy for a large technology retailer like BB.  Do I have to take my business elsewhere?  

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: Canon M5 question

Hello.

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to read that you did not find what you were looking for. Thank you for your honest feedback. However, this is a peer-to-peer forum and not a customer service centre, so you are not directly addressing Best Buy Canada's customer service when you post on the forum. Whether your feedback is positive of negative, we, the community team, appreciate your honest feedback. We do regularly forward these types of forum discussions along to the relevant people because it is important that they be made aware of what is being discussed; they can use this info to make improvements moving forward.

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Thanks Terence, I was aware this forum is not hosted by BB customer service.  I posted my comment here hoping a customer service manager might eventually see it, because the company email form seems to be non-functioning and attempting to contact large retail corporations by phone is typically a frustrating experience.  Hardly any of them make it easy to speak to a real human in a position of authority. 

If you have a specified email address, or direct line phone number (or button-pushing shortcut) for customer service, I could go that route.    

Community Manager
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There is one phone number for customer service. 1-866-237-8289. The best option is to call.

If  your inquiry is not something that the person you are speaking with can assist you with on a specific call, they should be forwarding you to a person who can speak to whatever subject matter needs addressing, or they would be creating a case for you if you need your issue escalated. You can also request for your issue to be escalated. If it is a matter of making a formal complaint and addressing the customer service department with that complaint, you can request for that too and ask them to provide you with the process to do so.

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Thanks, but I tried that number and wasn't able to get a satisfactory answer, just "if it isn't on the website, we can't order it."  I assume BB buys direct from Canon's Canadian distribution centre.  If they don't want to stock it, a buyer should have no difficulty with a request for an M5 body only.  Company policy and procedures are apparently the problem, and I don't think I can have any effect on policy. 

FWIW, I was in retail management myself, and our buyer tracked special order activity to help him decide on new SKU's for shelf stock.  S/O's are just good customer service, though vendor minimums may require consolidation with regular stock orders for prepaid shipping.  I'll look elsewhere but may consider BB again for a lens at some point (assuming it's a stock item).

Legendary Epic Genius

Hi there, hopefully I can shed a little more light for you - even though it may not be the most satisfactory answer.

When it comes to our product variety, our Canadian retail operations are entirely separate from our American counterparts. If you look on bestbuy.com vs bestbuy.ca you will see an unreal difference in product variety, they have 1100 stores, we have just over 130.

While Best Buy may be large, there are some pretty big barriers and red tape to go through to get products on our shelves or stocked on the website.

Sometimes our buyers are successful and other times they are not, in terms of procuring various product lines.

The final note on this relates to demand, if one store carries it - we all have to. I might very well have 100 customers walk into my store asking for the same product, while that may be 'a lot' in the grand scheme of things it is unfortunately not.

This is an area where the Marketplace on our website has helped alleviate some of the frustrations for lack of product variety. But like anything, its a work in progress.

I'd love to be able to 'order' stuff on a whim - would've made a lot of sales but we unfortunately don't have that option in most cases due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Hope that helps
Pioneer
0 Kudos

Ok, thanks 70627 (?!).  Can't help wondering if the use of anonymous numbers to identify employees says something about corporate culture in 2017.  In any case, I appreciate your discussion of BB Canada's very restricted ability to serve customers requesting mainstream product that is not a regular inventory item.  The outcome of my question wasn't unexpected, but I had to try. 

Pardon my philosophising...online checkouts and free shipping along with selective lower prices offer value for the dollar, but I guess one downside will always be sacrifices in customer service.  I recognize that perceived value for money is where the big retail battles are fought and won nowadays, and the payoff for excellent customer service probably just isn't there anymore.  My problem is that I'm old enough to remember doing business in the 20th century.   

It was an interesting exercise, and I suppose that like everyone else looking for a 'best buy', I will still be shopping here at some point in the future.  Have a great day...