Luminary
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Best Buy return policy on Hard Drives makes it impossible to Buy

So I did return my WD Cloud ex2 unopened and it was a serious decision as I had been thinking about buying and keeping a mirror cloud for over 2 years now.

I do like the idea of a real time mirror copy as I had owned many mirror raids in my lifetime. This saves me the hassles of keeping a backup copy.

The problem with Best Buy in Canada is once you open the box, no returns except for exchanges. I am sure there are ways to get around this, e.g. showing that it is broken or perhaps un-usable which is easily provable with WD firmware but I need the ease of return like **competitor**. I don't want to lie and fidget at the returns counter like a school boy.

There are many questions that it seems nobody can answer. When I buy a NAS product, I always plan for recovery routes, I always test for speed, can a software mirror handle mass copying? can I turn off the scans and so on. Can you pull one drive and mount it on a Mac to have the data readable?

If open drives were returnable, I would be able to work the device slowly into my daily workflow. Fill it up with data, pull out a drive, reformat one drive to simulate a new drive, watch the recovery process and time it. Check the network speeds while the drives are recovering, check the network speeds while one computer is copying data to the drive and watch a movie on another device.

When I bought the the 8TB Clouds from a *competitor*, I actually bought them six times because of my indecisions. Best Buy had them on sale with an additional saving of $20, but even with saving $40, I had to choose the *competitor* because I knew that if I ever had problems, the *competitor* would refund the cost of the drive, no questions ask.

I didn't need 8TB cloud drives at that time and at $400 each plus 12% tax, the cost was near a 1k just to upgrade from my 4TB cloud drives. However because of the *competitors* return policy, it took a while to settle in with the new gen2 drives including finding the scripts that were needed to turn off the scans. This also included the time to sell off my 4TB drives of which I had 3 clouds and 3 my books. The thought were if I don't sell off my old drives, the new ones gets refunded.

I was committed to keeping the pair of 8TB clouds when all my old 4TB drives were sold and I actually broke even with the upgrade.

At that time I did want a mirror cloud. I think I even ordered one from BestBuy for about $900 on sale, but just like today, I took it back because I had the ones that are refundable at a drop of a hat.

I can understand BestBuy reluctance on accepting back used drives, but like laptops and many new devices that Best Buy does allow returns for, hard drives and especially NAS devices do require a testing period and Best Buy should change their policy for that.

I know that this is a forum for users and Best Buy won't know of my qualms, but I decided to post here anyways just for the sake of posting. 

Thanks for reading....

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy return policy on Hard Drives makes it impossible to Buy

ralphael wrote:

When I bought the the 8TB Clouds from a *competitor*, I actually bought them six times because of my indecisions.

Just to be clear, I did not open 6 hard drives, I did open the last pair finally relenting on testing them out. It takes about a week to transfer 6 to 7 TB of data. Copying over to the new drive and binary compare the data to ensure that ihe data is correct.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Personally i think the issue is it comes down to privacy issues. It is really easy to recover data off a blank drive even when it has been reformatted so that takes does take away the ability to resell it without compromising the previous owners data. With a laptop you are actually re writing data over top during the reinstallation of the OS which makes it a lot harder to properly get data back. Yes you could zero out a drive while reformatting but the time it takes on large drives are a bit ridiculous. 

Legendary Epic Genius

I don't think you should be able to return opened drives because there is wear and tear on the drives and once it is used, it is no longer brand new.  

I wouldn't want to buy a used or open item drive without a significant discount, so I can understand that retailers would not accept returns on them.

If you want to check metrics or have questions about whether you can plug it into a Mac or PC, those answers are easily found online with a little searching.

You can also ask in forums, but for everyone to speed test their drives themselves and return all but the fastest drives would be a logistical nightmare for retailers and not really what the return policy was put in place for.

Luminary
0 Kudos

@yippy_13, what you say may be true but other companies do offer refundable hard drives, so Best Buy shouldn't be using this as a reason not to refund you.

Absolutely @SonicBoom , I would agree with you if it is just hard drives alone. That would be like returning underwear.

However Cloud devices these days are much like your smart TVs which are full of features. It serves up Media to your smart devices including your phone, TVs, ipads etc. How well these features works cannot be determined from reading alone. In fact, I know for a fact, from reading, that the Cloud mirrors do slow down because of the idiosyncrasies of the firmware, once you start filling up the device. 

Lastly the Cloud mirrors provides safe redundant data storage much like the NAS devices of days of old. In fact it is a NAS device, that now provides Cloud services (i.e. photos backups from your phone, file sharing).

From a standpoint of a customer, I am more inclined to buying and keeping a product if I knew that I am able to return something if in the event that something absolutely doesn't fit in my environment, just like my subwoofers.

The one thing that I absolutely need to test is if I can pull one of the mirror drives out and placed it on a USB dock, on whether or not that drive is readable on my Mac. The reason for this particular question is, what if the device fails, not necessarily just a hard drive failure, but are the hard drives readable outside the device environment. You want to be able to recover your data immediately which is the reason that you bought a Mirror Cloud unit.

Nobody had an answer to this, even at the WD forums themselves.

This isn't as bad as @Elico47 suggesting that we buy multiple speakers from Best Buy for testing. 

Luminary

@ralphael as per reading a pulled my cloud drive on a mac technically the answer the yes you can read it via a usb dock. However it is not fully plug and play for the internal drives since most of the my clouds run ext4. There are 3rd party programs to help you mount it and ready from OSX if needed but nothing natively from what i can remember. The only other thing I'd like to point out is if you try to take those suckers apart you usually end up breaking a  few of those plastic clips.

Besides Best Buy not taking returns of opened storage devices the place i normally buy my computer parts from also doesn't allow it either according to their sites. I know some places will but at least none of the electronic places i shop at go beyond a exchange for defective items.

Legendary Oracle

Speakers are very different than hard drives, as you well know.

I can understand returning/exchanging a speaker because you didn't like it's tonal quality. This is why I made the suggestion to you, to either go to a store and listen to speakers, or try it at home with your system. As it's a significantly more personal choice in taste than selecting a Hard Drive.

With a Hard Drive, it simply needs to meet certain specifications such as speed and capacity, not tonal characteristics with your mac. Smiley Wink

Once I return a speaker, I don't need to worry about residual personal data, unlike a Hard Drive.

It's for reasons such as you mentioned, that many stores are re-evaluating their return and exchange policies.

I also agree with @yippy_13 and @SonicBoom , I too would not purchase a used or opened Hard Drive.., I'd have no qualm in buying an open box speaker tho.

But let's stick to apples, not oranges or bananas svp.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

Elico47 wrote:

Once I return a speaker, I don't need to worry about residual personal data, unlike a Hard Drive.

Funny that personal data residual is somewhat like that skid mark on used underwear :-P 

@yippy_13 no I don't plan on taking apart a single bay cloud. The cloud that I was interested in was the My Cloud EX2 Ultra 16TB Network Attached Storage at which the hard drives are re-movable. However I do think you are correct in that since they are formatted ex4 (a linux format) that the drives should be reable once  docked on a USB.

@SonicBoom@Elico47@yippy_13, you have all changed my mind as it is true I wouldn't buy a used hard drive either as I don't know what fithy data it might have contained :-P  actually it would be the mileage of the hard drive.

A laptop, TV, or receiver on the other hand the max usage is 14 days and as long as they turn on, we are less concerned about the mileage.  

Funny isn't it that somehow I be more adverse to buying a used hard drive than a used laptop. 

Highlighted
Luminary

Honesly for that price i'd personally look at getting a synology dual nas bay with dual 8tb wd pro red's. Still serves all your media streaming needs if you use plex and the pro's also have a 5 year mfr vs the ex2 only have a 2 year which probably use the standard wd red.

Luminary
0 Kudos

yippy_13 wrote:

Honesly for that price i'd personally look at getting a synology dual nas bay with dual 8tb wd pro red's. Still serves all your media streaming needs if you use plex and the pro's also have a 5 year mfr vs the ex2 only have a 2 year which probably use the standard wd red.

and there lies the crux  :-P