Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy return policy on Hard Drives makes it impossible to Buy

As a note why not by a diskless NAS then just use some cheap disks you have laying around to do some testing then if the NAS doesnt peform as you thought then you can return it, as I believe it can be returned open as there was no harddrives included with it

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius

Drax86 wrote:

As a note why not by a diskless NAS then just use some cheap disks you have laying around to do some testing then if the NAS doesnt peform as you thought then you can return it, as I believe it can be returned open as there was no harddrives included with it

So I would think that the performance of the entire NAS would be heavily dependent on the speed and specs of drives inside it.

Having said that, doing what you suggested would give you a good baseline from which you could estimate performance if you improved the drives, but it would still only be an estimation.

A better way might be to research NAS setups created by other people which have been already carefully measured or rated.  Then recreate their existing setup to get the performance you want.

As for Mac/PC compatibility, that should be totally dependent on the filesystem formatting of the drive and not the drive itself.  You can easily research that ahead of time.

Highlighted
Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Yes @SonicBoom speed would be based on the disks, but It sounded like some of the concerns were about swapping or removing of drives and plugging into a Mac, which anything like that could be tested with any drive

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg