Community Manager

Have A Computer Question? We're Here To Help!

[ Edited ]

Computer_EN.jpg

Thinking about buying a new computer? Having issues with your current computer? We're here to help! 

Ask any and all of your computer questions here and let our community of experts help you. Smiley Happy

Among the many community experts in the Plug-in community, there are plenty of Plug-in Legends that you'll see around who sure know their way around computers, incase you'd prefer to direct your question to somone specific.

@Drax86

@Computers_Mike

@CtrlAltDel

BBYBilly
Community Coordinator
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Have A Computer Question? We're Here To Help!

Happy to help!
Scout
0 Kudos

Hello,

I did a reservation for a laptop, I went to pick it up.

Arriving home, I open to have it set up and already I find it slow.

This is the model I got:

Model #: X540LA-BB51-CB
Web Code: 10449278 .

My question is how can I do a clean install of it if I only have the laptop itself and the charger cable including the warranty manual in the box? This has no CD/DVD drive.

I find it slow and I didnt install any of my programs for my daily use yet.

Thank you
Luminary

Hello Jhay,

If you wanted to do a clean install you have 2 options. First option you can make a recovery drive of the system image but the downfall is all the bloat ware will come back bonus drivers will be pre installed again. Secondly you can always make a OEM windows 10 installer using the microsoft media creation tool which is provided for free by MS. The downfall about this is you need to reinstall all your drivers manually but you won't have any bloatware. Either way you go at it you will need a 16gb USB stick or in some cases 32gb.

As per the slowness of a new computer you need to consider the bloatware (pre installed sw) and how updates function on 10. When you buy a new computer it doesn't mean the system updates are fully completed and with 10 it will do it in the background weather you like it or not thus using up your disk/cpu. Like i've said the other things to check is the bloatware and if you removed off the trial AV before installing your own (another common thing people forget).

Otherwise the specs of the laptop are great just takes time to get it up to date. If you don't want to spend the time or don't feel familar with removing all the bloatware and updating the OS you can always bring it into Geek Squad since they have some packages for new computer setups.

Cheers

CC
Scout
0 Kudos

Re: Asus F555LA vs Asus X540LA need help

[ Edited ]

Not having luck with buying a new laptop. I had bought a HP and also the geek squad set up. Wasn't happy

at all with HP and took it back. But now I am stuck with the geek squad plan for 6mths! with no laptop!  They said I could just

trasfer it to a new laptop I could choose.

One problem, I think I've finally narrowed it down to the Asus F555LA  but Best Buy doesn't carry that particular laptop!

Any suggestions?   The only other one that Best Buy does carry is the Asus X540LA   Not sure if this one is as good as

the F555LA (only avail.at Memory Express) but my geek squad plan I bought won't help me if I buy it from M.Ex.

Legendary Hero of the Universe

You cant really go wrong with either of those, both are good models, I am always happy with the Asus line

Legendary Epic Genius

It may be of interest to you @CC that today only there is a HUGE discount on the Asus X540LA as part of a flash sale:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-x540la-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-5020u-1tb-hdd-4gb-ram...

photo signature-member_zps0ovpnde8.jpg

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

I recently purchased a laptop for another store. I now want to upgrade to a better laptop. Does Best Buy have a trade in policy on laptops?
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Unless you purchased the laptop for next to nothing. It would be a much better idea to sell it privately.
Scout
0 Kudos

What is better AMD A4 7210 or Intel Pentium 3556U tks