The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: How can I stream movies from my desktop computer, using windows 7, to my Sony TV?

[ Edited ]

Thanks Drax and to the others who provided a reply to my question. So does the Chromecast device which I plug into the back of the TV provide a HD quality picture on my TV, even if I'm srtreaming a movie from a website on my desktop? Meaning I won't need to worry about resolution or trying to improve it? Also do I still need to install "Plex" on my PC with the Chromecast device?

Thanks again.

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: How can I stream movies from my desktop computer, using windows 7, to my Sony TV?

Plex is just a software I like to use but you don't have to use it there is many other apps and programs supported by chromecast you can even just use your chrome browser and steam to the chromecast from that.

Yes the chromecast will display an hd picture to your tv

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

The Captain
0 Kudos

Wow that was fast. So Drax with the Chromecast device, is it still considered mirroring a picture from the desktop to the TV?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No it doesn't mirror, what it does is you would use typically a smartphone as a remote and you open the app you want to use then "send" it to the chromecast, it then takes over displaying the app leaving your phone avaiable to do other things.

The reason I suggust plex is for if you have videos that you have downloaded, when you install plex it organizes the videos and gives you a sort of "netflix" style feeling to browse and watch the videos

The Captain
0 Kudos

I wouldn't actual;ly need a smartphone would I? 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Chromecast is designed to work with a smart phone. Once it is set up though you can use just the chrome browser on your PC however I haven't tried to do the initial setup without a smartphone.

That was my mistake assuming you had a smartphone

The Captain
0 Kudos

Appreciate that, thanks again Drax86.

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

You don't need a smartphone.  You buy a Chromecast and then your TV basically shows up on your WiFi as a castable device.

You can cast there from any device in your home that supports Chromecast.

I'm sure there are ways around it too, but anything on Chrome you can easily broadcast -- either from your laptop PC or your smartphone.  This includes anything you can watch in a browser including CTV, CBC, and even free library affiliates like Kanopy (Criterion movies), Curio.ca, and Hoopla.  There are huge libraries of movies online for free.

I never tried to broadcast pictures from your smartphone or laptop, but I'm sure you could do that too.