Scout
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Looking to upgrade my laptop

Hi there,

I have had my current laptop - a Toshiba Satellite P300 since about 2008. Recently, it has become nearly unusable and I am looking to upgrade my portable computer. For reference, I have a powerful enough desktop computer, I'm just looking for some functionality on-the-go since I am going to travelling a lot in the near future. My budget for upgrading is $1000 CAD before taxes. Because of the age of my laptop, I am really out of touch with laptop technology these days and thought that I should ask for advice.

My laptop specs that I am most interested in upgrading are::

RAM: 4GB

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (CPU P7350) 2.0GHz

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (2301MB Graphics memory, 512MB Dedicated) and DirectX 10, Screen Resolution is 1440x900

It's got internal storage of about 300GB, but I have a very good external hard drive, so this isn't a huge deal. My main concerns with the laptop aside from it not functioning is the bulk of the machine. It's 17'' screen is a little too large and the machine is too heavy to be convenient in a bag. I would love to downsize - if possible.

I am hoping to use the new laptop for work/school programs, Microsoft Suite and programs like Photoshop. Like the Satellite, I am also hoping to play some games on it. I don't want to run any new AAA titles, the most taxing of anything I want to play is probably Heroes of the Storm which overheats my current laptop.

Thanks for reading,

Sarah

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Looking to upgrade my laptop

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

after looking at the system requirements for that game and the other tasks you want to do. I think something like this would be more than sufficient.

If you primarily use an external hard drive for storage then this will not be a big limitation as this particular laptop has a 256GB capacity, but its an SSD so there will be a substantial improvement in the overall speed/responsiveness overall, which I think is well worth it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-acer-aspire-e-15-6-laptop-black-intel-i5-7200u-256-ssd-8gb-...?

Its well below your budget cap, you could even use some of that difference towards one of those slim passport external drives to carry with you. I figured that since you are going to be travelling a lot, something of the ultrabook nature would be a good place to start when looking for a replacement.

Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Scout

Re: Looking to upgrade my laptop

Hey, 

Thanks a lot. That looks perfect. 

Cheers,