Highlighted
The Captain
0 Kudos

My new power supply won't work!

Hi!

So I ordered a new graphics card about a month ago, to be able to plat games like amnesia smoothly (I was only running on my integrated Intel graphics card). The thing is, my desktop (a Acer Aspire AM3910-E2552) had a +/- 350 watts power supply, which wasn't enough for the card I ordered (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/diamond-diamond-multimedia-amd-radeon-hd6570-2gb-gddr3-pcie-vga-...) so I got this power supply:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/coolmax-coolmax-500-watt-computer-power-supply-14805-14805/10213.... Now there was a lot of tries involved, but I just can't seem to get the computer to turn on with this supply... I even got a converter from peripheral to SATA to get everything covered, and it still won't start... Is it because it's single rail and my old was (I think) was double?

I attached soe pictures, hope they help.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

P.S. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I can get some better ones if you need them, but my camera was dead.

The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: My new power supply won't work!

[ Edited ]

3 unused plugs (peripheral x2 and 4pin SDD x1

The Captain
0 Kudos

The Captain
0 Kudos

The Captain
0 Kudos

Luminary

Hey Thomas

Thanks for posting a question. Hopefully Ill be able to help.

The one thing you have to do when upgrading a GPU is A. Checking the poqer supply minimum for the GPU and B. The motherboard adaptability with the new powersupply. After you know those two things (will be posted on the box of the GPU and google will help you find the one on your motherboard) you will be able to start from there. Also age of the PC itself will also help and your RAM amount. Could be that your PC components are so old that they are getting overflowed with to much power.

Tell me if this helps and Ill try my best to help you out Smiley Very Happy

Joshua

Multi Channel Sales Associate
0975 Kanata, 1(613) 287-3912
Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There are two power connections that need to go to your motherboard:

1. 24 pin connection that provides power to the board

2. 4 pin connection that provides power to the CPU

I have seen many cases where people neglect to connect the 4 pin connection in which case the system will not turn on.  If you do have these two cables connected properly, something should happen.  If you are not getting anything, than I would suggest you take the system into a Best Buy store and have a Geek Squad agent take a look at it.

Hope this helps