Community Manager
0 Kudos

Parental Web Controls

[ Edited ]

Image result for parental web controls

Got questions about parental internet controls? Ask your questions here!

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Re: Have A Computer Question? We're Here To Help!

I need a wireless router to report all sites the connected devices have visited in the past, say, 1 day.  Do-able ?

Legendary Hero of the Universe

@rogeng  You arent going to really find a router that would do that, what you are looking for is more of a firewall/web filter, that will log all traffic

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Okay got it.  So the answer is not hardware (router) but instead software (firewall/web filter) which, I resume, is to be installed on the computer first.   But for the idea to work, the software has to be pre-installed on each and every single device in the wifi network to log the visited sites, and access to all these devices where the logs are located is necessary to get the logs.   The original idea was to quietly monitor/police the wifi network (eg. parental control at home) through a central device (router) without having to bother and ask every user of the network to install certain program on their machine, and then to access all the machines to get the logs ... way too much trouble !!

Pioneer
0 Kudos

apologize for my typo, not  "I resume", should be "I assume".

Pioneer
0 Kudos

@Drax86 : again excuse my bad ettiquette, forgot to address "@Drax86", bad me.

0 Kudos

Parental Controls

[ Edited ]

@rogeng not neccesarly, a webfilter and a firewall can be hardware. If you give us an idea of what your main goal is we might be able to help more? Is your goal just to monitor and see what is being accessed or would you like to actually limit what is accessed?

Pioneer

@Drax86 : The main use is home wifi for parental control.  Instead of altogether blocking the game sites which surely could  100% achieve a no-game policy but 0% train the kids to exercise self-discipline to not over-play games during school days ; giving the kids the free access to the games while letting them know parents have means to get of all details about how frequent they play and how much time they spent playing would help them to self-restrain themselves and exercise self-control and discipline.   They don't want the privilege of going to certain sites be taken away altogether.  I hope that makes sense to you (don't know if you are a parent !)

Parental controls

Apologies @rogeng  I thought i had posted this early this morning.

My oldest is only 4 so he luckily isnt into the internet yet

What you may want to look into is something like the HOME VIP package from OpenDNS (google them)

You set up an account and then you usually make an adjustment to the settings in your router and then any device on your network will have its browsing logged, you can also use it to do some blocking of things that you really dont want the kids to get into like adult sexual content, or gambling for example.

Thanks @BBYTerence for moving this to its own topic