Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

The laptop i am buying doesn't have a win10 activation code on its back,How do I get the code ?

The Laptop I am going to buy from Bestbuy doesn't have an windows 10 activation code sticker on its back, I want to swap the HDD in the laptop with an SSD...So i am going to need the code for activating the newly installed windows 10....How do i obtain this code ? will bestbuy provide it or get it for me ? or Do I have to contact the manufacturer ?

The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: The laptop i am buying doesn't have a win10 activation code on its back,How do I get the code ?

Has long as you have already installed windows and activated it with the original HD, you can just put in the new drive and install windows 10 on it. during install just skip the key information as it will already be tied to your mother board. 

once windows is installed it will automatically activate windows

hope that helps

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: The laptop i am buying doesn't have a win10 activation code on its back,How do I get the code ?

Windows is activated by a device ID that is generated and saved to Microsoft when you first activate, as long as you are only changing the harddrive it will automatically re activate once you load up windows, just skip entering the key as @AgentK mentioned

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg