Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

hi! is there a way i can recover the documents on the desktop of my old computer (battery=dead)

the battery of my computer is dea so there is no way i can reoppen it, im not searching to repared it but to get everything on it!! thx!!!

Highlighted
Luminary

Re: hi! is there a way i can recover the documents on the desktop of my old computer (battery=dead)

If you're not familiar with taking it apart I'd suggest to bring it to geek squad. If you have a external drive they will be able to transfer it to there which is about 100$ or if you purchase a new computer some setup's include data transfers. Keep in mind only personal information can be transferred like pictures/documents/music/movies and things like programs microsoft office, games, anti viruses can not be copied off properly.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

Re: hi! is there a way i can recover the documents on the desktop of my old computer (battery=dead)

Additional thoughts....

• if this is a laptop.... you may be able to plug a cord into it to bring it to life.
  • if a desktop.... you might just need to replace the button battery.
  • Is there an error message during start up?
Legendary Epic Genius

The button cell battery would not prevent a computer from turning on, it simply keeps the time when the computer is powered off.

OP - if you need a data transfer you can either bring it to your local Best Buy as yippy suggested, or if you feel confident enough you can take out the hard drive and purchase an enclosure to put the drive in, making it an external hard drive.

Best of luck
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Only laptops have batteries so if what you are saying is correct, then you only need to find a power cable to power it up again.

If you plug it in and it still doesn't power up, then you may have a broken power adapter.

All of your data is on your HD.  Once you power it up it should all be there.  If for whatever reason you can't power it up, you can remove the HD and attach it to another computer to view and transfer the files.