Community Manager
0 Kudos

Charge Up & Play Contest 2017 - Challenge 7. Enter for a chance to win a $350 gift card!

Charge Up & Play Contest 2017 - Challenge 7

11:00 a.m. PST on November 9, 2017 to 15:59 PST on November 16, 2017

Charge Up Banner Large.jpg

Welcome to the 2017 CHARGE UP & PLAY CONTEST  

It’s officially October so that means it’s time to CHARGE UP & PLAY! It’s where Best Buy Canada forum participants complete challenges to qualify for a random draw for great prizes!

Charge Up & Play requires you to respond to various questions posted by the Community Team, and participants will have a chance to win prizes. If you've ever seen or participated in contests that we run on our blog, it's that same format.

Here is a breakdown of how it works:

Starting today, October 16, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. PST until November 16, 2017 at 15:59 PST, challenges in the form of questions will be posted. Participation is easy and simple; you just have to respond to these challenge questions on the forum threads on which the questions are posted.

Each response posted in response to a challenge question results in one entry. Some challenges will only allow for each person to respond once, and some challenges will allow each person to respond multiple times up to a specified maximum limit. Each response will count as one entry toward a random draw.

The contest will run in phases. Each phase will have 1 unique challenge question. There will be 7 different phases/challenges in total . Each challenge will have a closing date. After the closing date of a challenge, there will be a random draw for a winner for that specific challenge! 

Who Can Enter

No purchase required. Open to residents of Canada only, excluding the province of Quebec, aged 19 or older.

The Contest is NOT open to employees of Best Buy and its parent, subsidiaries, or affiliated companies, their advertising and promotion agencies, or their other representatives or agents, or anyone with whom any of the foregoing is domiciled.

What You Can Win

There will be 1 prize per challenge (7 total). Prizes are Best Buy gift cards in the following denominations:

Prize 1 for Challenge 1 - $25 Best Buy gift card    (closed)

Prize 2 for Challenge 2 - $50 Best Buy gift card    (closed)

Prize 3 for Challenge 3 - $75 Best Buy gift card    (closed)

Prize 4 for Challenge 4 - $100 Best Buy gift card  (closed)

Prize 5 for Challenge 5 - $150 Best Buy gift card  (closed)

Prize 6 for Challenge 6 - $200 Best Buy gift card  (closed)

Prize 7 for Challenge 7 - $350 Best Buy gift card  (in progress)

The contest runs in phases (7 phases/challenges) from 11:00 a.m. PST on October 16, 2017 to 15:59 PST on November 16, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of entrants. Following the draw for a winner of a challenge, the selected entrant will be contacted via private message on the forum and at the email address listed on their registered Best Buy Community Forum account—plugin.bestbuy.ca (if they have an email listed). In order to accept a prize, the selected entrant must respond to the prize notification email or private message on the forum within forty-eight (48) hours of transmission. The selected entrant must also answer a mathematical skill testing question and sign a waiver prior to receiving the prize.

Click here for complete contest rules and regulations >

To enter for a chance to win challenge #7, simply click reply and post your response to the question that is in the post directly below, on this existing thread. Good luck!

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter, complaint, or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: Charge Up & Play Contest 2017 - Challenge 7. Enter for a chance to win a $350 gift card!

Challenge 7

Question:

As this is a peer-to-peer forum with great peer-to-peer advice, write a product review of any product of your choice that is currently sold at Best Buy Canada. It can be short and brief or long and detailed; it’s up to you (must be at least 5 sentences). 

11:00 a.m. PST on November 9, 2017 to 15:59 PST on November 16, 2017

Prize 7 - $350 Best Buy gift card

Maximum of 5 entries (responses) per person. If posting multiple respones, please post each of your responses in SEPARATE posts and not as one post.

This challenge closes on November 16, 2017 at 15:59 PST. The prize will be drawn on November 20, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. PST at Best Buy Canada Headquarters, 8800 Glenlyon Pkwy, Burnaby, BC V5J 5K3. The winner will be announced afterwards.

To enter for a chance to win, simply click reply and post your response to the question (above) on this existing thread. Good luck! 

See Rules and Regulations >

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter, complaint, or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Charge Up & Play Contest 2017 - Challenge 7. Enter for a chance to win a $350 gift card!

The Sony STRDN1080 165-Watt 7.2 Channel Atmos Network AV Receiver is probably the best receiver for the value that you can buy. I don't want to fill up this reveiw with a feature list as you can read all the specs from BestBuy, but I do want to identify a few features that I do love.

Starting with Atmos, the latest Dolby 3d Sound, it fills your room with fantastic object orient theatre sound meaning that sounds are individual objects that moves around you in a 3d spatial world; there is simply nothing like it when watching movies that supports Atmos. Netflix and other companies are now streaming Atmos so there is no need to search for DVDs with Atmos.

The main reason that I bought into the Sony STRDN1080 is the HDR passthrough. With my new Sony Playstation Pro and 4k HDR Sony TV, I needed a central control unit that can switch amongst all my (eventually) 4k devices; like the new Apple 4k TV box. All 6 HDMI inputs can accept 4k-HDR along with 2 HDMI outputs (meaning 2 4k TVs) can be connected.

Of course, lets not forget the most needed feature, at least for myself, the bluetooth input/output support. You can use bluetooth to stream from your mobile phone/tablet to the receiver. On the reversal, you can output through Bluetooth to a Headset like the Sony 1000x which also supports LDAC, a high quality wireless audio streaming from you Sony Receiver. The reason that I needed this feature was because of my X Rocker chair that supports incoming bluetooth signal; yes I know I could have just used a wired output from the headphone jack which was what I was doing, but connecting wirelessly is so much cooler.

With a total of 7 channels of 165 watts of power, you can even combine two channels for output to a bi-ampable speaker. You can mix and match your speaker output as you like, even having only two speakers to simulate the full dolby surround sound. You can even have your standard 5.1 surround sound speakers simulate a 7.1 surround sound systems until you can afford the extra 2 speakers for Atmos.

This is the receiver that I was looking for and perhaps it might be yours too. Go check it out...

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

The August Smart lock 2nd gen

I got this lock after my previous smart lock died do to the company going bankrupt.  This was the easiest lock to install it probably took me less than 5 minutes. Once installed the app then quickly and easily walks you through the setup process, once that is done you are pretty well ready to go.

The auto unlock feature work great it easily detects when i get home, not once have i had to stand by the door and wait, it is always unlocked by the time i reach for the handle, this however could vary depending on your smart phone, older phones may be slower to connect.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Chromecast

The Chromecast is one of the best low cost items for anyone who is trying to cut the cord on cable. It easily play most video apps simply by select the app on your phone and "casting" it to your chromecast.

I am still using the 1st gen chromecast which still works as good today as it did when i got it. I do have to say it can sometimes be slow to load the apps but that doesnt seem to be an issue with the newer generations.

Setup is super easy you plug the device into your TV and power it up using the usb cable, you then load up the chromecast app and follow the few simple steps.

The only negative that I can say is that you do need a smartphone to do the initial setup and then a smartphone or PC to be able to control the chromecast it doesn't have its own remote.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

The Captain
0 Kudos

First Entry:

Sony on ear wireless headphones with mic (model mdrxb950b1/B)

Quality headphones, with excellent sound quality.

I had previously owned some Beats headphones and found the material that goes over the ear to wear out quick and also the general build quality to be wanting.

The sony headphones are very durable and utilized every day.

The Bass boost button works well as well and makes a clear sound.

The best thing about them was the price, very reasonably priced compared to other brands.  

The Captain
0 Kudos

Second Entry:

Snes Classic

Amazing game system - so many great memories renewed from playing this.  

Great library of games that comes with the system

The build quality feels quite sturdy and the size of the system is nice so it doesnt take up too much room on my entertainment unit. 

The price was also reasonable but it was definitely not easy to get.  

I found myself selecting this system over my playstation 4 for lots of quick gaming.  Nice to have games that don't require a ton of updates and online play!

The Captain
0 Kudos

Third Entry:

Sony Playstation 4 - original 500GB system

Price was fairly high but has a very nice user interface and some nice built-in apps that I use frequently like youtube and netflix.

Game selection is great, but the annoying thing is the size that games have become for it and the constant need to update them before being able to play.

The controllers feel very sturdy and are quite stylish, though i find the physical system kind of bland and rather un-inspired.  

It would be nice if the game systems came with two controllers like they used to back in the day as that is one of the add-ons that I have had to buy for it and they aren't cheap.

The other thing that I wish they had would be backwards compatibility with at least one system back (PS3), hard when you invest a bunch of money in games/system and they are obsolete in a few years.  I have noticed them re-releasing a bunch of games from PS3 for the PS4 and that seems like a bit of a cash grab.

The Captain
0 Kudos

Entry 4:

Samsung HT-J5530 1000 Watt 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-Ray Home Theatre System

I purchased this as the price was quite reasonable and I loved my previous surround system from Sony but couldn't find a sony that I liked this time around.

The build quality of the speakers was average I would say, my old sony wireless system definitely has a more substantial and solid feel to it.

Configuring it was easy but I found it finicky as the settings always reset when there is an update to my TV (Samsung as well).  I thought since it was the same brand that updates would be more seamless and that the settings would retain better.  I have had to reset the system a few times which was quite aggravating.

Sound quality is good, I can shake the house if need be but the voices come out quite clear and love the range that I hear compared to standard tv speakers.

Blu-Ray player has dated looking fonts and definitely feels less sturdy than my sony system.  Also seems to be fairly loud when throwing in a movie.

Overall I would rate it as average but not the easiest to setup and maintenance of configuration has been a bit of a chore.

Luminary
0 Kudos

The Lutron Caseta Smart Light Switch (Starter Kit) is the only Apple homekit compatible light switch on the market. Do not buy into the wireless light bulbs unless you really need a wireless single bulb;  as controlling the switch is better than controlling the bulb itself.

With a lutron Caseta light switch and multiple pico remotes you can create 2-way (hallway lights where you turn on the lights at one end and turn off the lights at the other end), 3-way (staircases where you turn on the light at the top 3rd floor and turning them off at the second or first floor). 

Other combinations can be turning on the dining room lights along with a floor lamp together. Combinations like coming into your house and turning on the foyer light along with the hallway, kitchen and bedroom lights simultaneously. 

Combine with LED Dimmables, you can set up a really low level of lights for the morning so when you wake up, you can flood your home with almost candle like lighting, so as to not to jar your senses. I have this type of lighting set to a pico remote mounted on a switch plate in my bedroom.

There are endless possibilities with the Lutron Caseta Smart light switches as you can buy as many light switches, lamp switches and pico remotes as you like. Once you install the bridge that controls all the lights with your iphone (it needs an Apple TV too), you can control all the lights with Siri on both your phone and apple watch. Great when your hands are full with midnight snacks you can tell Siri, on your watch, to turn on the lights so you can see your way back to the TV.

Of course, when I finally settled down to watch a movie on the couch, with remote on one hand and popcorn in the other, I can say "Hey Siri, turn off the lights" and you don't even need to clap your hands.