Community Manager
0 Kudos

What are you training for?

[ Edited ]

It’s race season!

While I’m not actually training for anything in particular this summer, I’ve set a goal to improve my Grouse Grind speed by 25%. A daunting task. For those not familiar with the Grind, it’s a 2.9 km “hike” straight up the side of Grouse Mountain, a local ski hill in North Vancouver. I use the term “hike” loosely as it’s really more like getting on a stair master and going up and up and up. No rolling hills here! There are 2,830 stairs and over 100,000 people complete the Grind each year.

Grind.jpg

(me & a friend atop of Grouse Mountain post Grind... trying not to show the pain on our faces)

My plan is to complete the Grind at least once a week, tracking my progress with each ascent. I’ll also be doing weekly trail runs in neighbouring mountains and keeping up with my strength conditioning twice a week at the gym.

So let's make a deal to keep each other accountable! Tell us what you're in-training for this season and we'll be here to cheer you on!

What races are you preparing for this year? Any tips on how to stay focused and on track to getting the best results?

BBYLaura
Community Manager
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: What are you training for?

I (somewhat aggressively) signed up for a 10K run in two weeks at UBC. I thrive under pressure (I think) and figured what better way to kick my bod into bridal shape than creating uber-ambitious goals?

I started running about a month ago and have regularly been running 4K about 3 times a week (usually within 20-25 minutes). After that, I am so bored that all I can think of is getting off the treadmill! My goal to run 10K is to try and move past that mental block that hits at the 20 minute mark.

How do other people get over the mental block with exercise?

Julia

Online Manager

Community Manager

Re: What are you training for?

Mid-way through summer, so thought I'd provide an update on my progress!

So far I've managed to cut exactly 12.5% off of my original starting time on the grouse grind. I'm right on schedule Smiley Wink It's definitely getting easier the more I do it, but I confess that it hasn't been every week as I had initially set out to do... but progress is progress!

How is everyone else doing with their summer fitness goals?

BBYLaura
Community Manager
Plug-in | Join the conversation