Highlighted
Epic Genius
Accepted Solution

Are Steelbooks Exclusives Dead at BB?

[ Edited ]

Simple question really, but it would be nice to get an official answer from BB.

The up-coming Steelbooks thread has not been updated for months:

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Official-SteelBook-Announcement-List-amp-Thread/td-p/16...

The website has no available exclusive Steelbook pre-orders that I can locate, and all the various other threads dealing with topics relating to Steelbooks are left with members debating the "If" and "why".

I fully understand that this is the busiest time of the year, but a quick response HERE would surely make life easier for all the Steelbook collectors which are members of this forum.

Happy Holidays to all !!!!

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: Are Steelbooks Exclusives Dead at BB?

I think asking for a simple update would do.

Didn't we just have two SteelBooks releases in the past two weeks?

Epic Genius

@SonicBoom

That's exactly what I'm asking for, a simple update.

Every single Steelbook thread has someone asking if we are getting this one, that one, etc.... I'm simply addressing the elephant in the room so there is no doubts about it.

As for new releases in the last 2 weeks, you are correct, apart from the HP set there was Suicide Squad & Jason Bourne.

pre-orders for those was Oct & early Nov, then nothing slated afterwards or even communicated by BB.

I'm not asking BB to crank out every single movie in a Steelbook format, but what I do know is that the number of releases is in a steady decline. If BB feels that it's no longer a good business investment, and affecting their bottom line, then I can accept that.

At least I will know for certain to look elsewhere and acquire the copies I want before they get sold-out, that's all I need to know.

The Oracle

[ Edited ]

First off I would like to ask how you put the link Official SteelBook Announcement List & Thread on your discussion.

I have to agree we as customers and fans of Steelbooks are not expecting a new release every week or every month; for myself I would just like the courtesy of Best Buy Canada letting us know if a particular title will be coming out. I also disagree that while we have fewer SteelBook releases here in Canada we get more or less the same as what the US gets. The fact that Best Buy Canada is still the leading promoter of SteelBooks in Canada does not say a whole lot especially when I tried to order a steelbook at a smaller retailer that sell Blurays and they tell me they are not allowed to sell steelbooks because Best Buy Canada has exclusive rights to sell them. Of course we would like to see more, but there is no other retailer in Canada ( a three letter retailer that sells bluray, dvd and music in Canada) that can offer steelbook exclusives on a regular basis.

We also get fewer offerings when it comes to steelbooks the US Best Buy is way ahead and when I went to the Best Buy US store and Best Buy Canada store today (I live in a border city) you can see a big difference, I was like kid in a candy shop in the US Best Buy; they have dedicated an aisle to new and rereleased steelbooks titles like Ben-Hur [Includes Digital Copy] [Blu-ray/DVD] 2016, The Magnificent Seven: SteelBook [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray] and all the Resident Evil movies just to name a few (I did purchase these titles). While BB Canada steelbooks are scattered all over and our only new releases are steelbooks of JASON BOURNE, SUICIDE SQUAD, SPACE JAM, GAME OF THRONES and the HARRY POTTER series with no new updates. While I do realize yes, we may not have as many SteelBooks as BB US, and there are many other retailers worldwide that carry more SteelBooks than Best Buy US we are living in Canada and do most of our purchases here or the US.

Basically, all I am asking BB for is to know will Best Buy Canada still carry steelbooks because with other markets announcing future steelbook plans for movies like Dr. Strange Steelbook , Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2D/3D Blu-ray Steelbook)and the animated movie Sing [SteelBook] [Includes Digital Copy] [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray] what can we expect from Best Buy on future steelbook sales.

Inclosing, forgive me for venting this is not directed at anyone but Best Buy I guess I am frustrated that after seeing firsthand what they have in the Best Buy US and how little we have here in Canada. At any rate Happy Holidays To Everyone!!! 

Legendary Epic Genius

You saw a BEN-HUR (2016) SteelBook in Best Buy US?  I have not heard of that release before.

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN we did not get here in Canada, but we did get all of the RESIDENT EVIL SteelBooks.

I think your point is just that you would like to have more updates and advance notice.  I am sure we all would like the same thing, but comparing Best Buy Canada to online collectible sites from Europe or elsewhere in the world is not really a fair comparison.

I do not think there is any indication that SteelBooks are "dead" at Best Buy Canada.

There are about five major retailers in Canada that sell SteelBooks.  Best Buy Canada is probably the largest of all of them with the most selection and stock so I for one am not concerned.

The Oracle

[ Edited ]

SonicBoom wrote:

You saw a BEN-HUR (2016) SteelBook in Best Buy US?  I have not heard of that release before.

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN we did not get here in Canada, but we did get all of the RESIDENT EVIL SteelBooks.

I think your point is just that you would like to have more updates and advance notice.  I am sure we all would like the same thing, but comparing Best Buy Canada to online collectible sites from Europe or elsewhere in the world is not really a fair comparison.

I do not think there is any indication that SteelBooks are "dead" at Best Buy Canada.

There are about five major retailers in Canada that sell SteelBooks.  Best Buy Canada is probably the largest of all of them with the most selection and stock so I for one am not concerned.

Sorry that came out the wrong way but I was not trying to compare Best Buy Canada to online collectible sites from Europe or elsewhere in the world; but just the US Best Buy and former Future Shop (even with all its problems)Smiley Happy. But I would like to know what are the five major retailers in Canada that sell SteelBooks maybe they are in my area.  Yes, I would love an advanced notice and more of a selection; I am not saying every movie that comes out should have a steelbook; but if the US Best Buy has a particular title on steelbook maybe BB Canada find out if could get it also from another distributor.  I hope you are right that steelbooks are not dead at BB Canada. 

Epic Genius

@SonicBoom

Yes, in 2012 and we also had Underworld and the X-men series as well, all with different artwork. Point is that for those who missed out it's a chance, and for Collector's it's a must.

I think your point is just that you would like to have more updates and advance notice. I am sure we all would like the same thing, but comparing Best Buy Canada to online collectible sites from Europe or elsewhere in the world is not really a fair comparison.

Agreed, North American releases only (US/Canada/Mexico).

There are about five major retailers in Canada that sell SteelBooks. Best Buy Canada is probably the largest of all of them with the most selection and stock so I for one am not concerned.

Yes, BB was the largest with the most selection, but as it stands, there's nothing available for pre-order, and no confirmation on what will be the next release. As for other retailers, that's pretty much irrelevant, this thread is specific to BB exclusives.

What I would really like is an official response from BB so that we can put this issue at rest for good, hopefully they prove me wrong. After all this forum is for questions, concerns & hopefully answers.

Like yourself, I'm certainly not concerned either, I have 18+ Steelbooks on their way or pre-ordered from BB US, which are not available from any other retailer in Canada at this time.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas!!!!

Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

So now we have a definite answer, not dead but on life support.....

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Upcoming-SteelBook-Discussion-Thread/m-p/170326#M2575

It's unfortunate for us Steelbook collectors, but on the bright side it will eliminate the constant complaints some buyers had with bilingual packaging & shipping material issues.

As for me, I have the answer I'm looking for, no more guessing game.

If I'm going to go South for 90% of the Steelbook releases, then I might as well make it 100% instead of padding an order to get free shipping here in Canada.

I would like to Thank @BBYTerence @BBYLaura @BBYBilly if he's still around for their support.

Community Manager

Thanks, @Jacques1400.

Just wanted to acknowledge your post.    @BBYBilly is no longer working at BBY Canada Smiley Happy

Our Charge Up & Play Contest for 2017 is happening now! Enter for a chance to win Best Buy gift cards.

FYI: Thanks for posting on the forum. For those who are not aware, this is a peer-to-peer forum. The majority of posts on here are from members of the peer-to-peer community made up of other customers and forum participants. They provide great peer-to-peer advice and feedback. If you have a customer service matter or an inquiry about an order, please call customer service at 1-866-237-8289 to have your matter addressed.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Epic Genius

In my books, since Future Shop was closed, SteelBook Exclusive are dead.

Since March 2015, we here in Canada had NOTHING Exclusive that the USA didn't get.  Not that I don't understand it, but I find this really saddening.  Remember when we had Iron Man, Inglourious Basterds, Many Disney's, Harry Potter, etc... wow... those were the days and back then, physical media were still going strong...

Let's all face it, we're now in 2017, Netflix/**competitor** wins more and more shares... so streaming will win this for sure eventually...  of course, there will always be some "dinosaurs" that likes to handle something (like me).. look at those Vinyls still selling....

And also, I do think that even if the Mondo line was great and all, I'm pretty sure that it's responsible for a LOT of the Best Buy Canada demise...

Let's all remember that those exclusive were already in the pipeline when FS closed... also, there was wayyyyyyyyy too many of each steel printed... many thousands of each for the Canadian market?  Seriously???

I sure did help with HDN, still, this was wayyyyyy over our heads with so many thousand copies... no surprise a big bunch of them are still available in store / online.

With that in mind, I can understand why the product buyers are now shy to order in advance steelbooks.

BUT... if I may, I would bring a "solution" for @BBYTerence

What about having ALL the same exclusives as BBY USA, but making them available "online for pre-order only"???  That way, everyone who would like one could pre-order one, no overstock (or almost none) and everybody is happy?  How hard could it be to have 4-5 box shipped from BBYUSA to BBYCanada?? Smiley Wink