Epic Genius

Re: Are Steelbooks Exclusives Dead at BB?

In my books, since Future Shop was closed, SteelBook Exclusive are dead.

Since March 2015, we here in Canada had NOTHING Exclusive that the USA didn't get.  Not that I don't understand it, but I find this really saddening.  Remember when we had Iron Man, Inglourious Basterds, Many Disney's, Harry Potter, etc... wow... those were the days and back then, physical media were still going strong...

Let's all face it, we're now in 2017, Netflix/**competitor** wins more and more shares... so streaming will win this for sure eventually...  of course, there will always be some "dinosaurs" that likes to handle something (like me).. look at those Vinyls still selling....

Img_8874.jpg 

And also, I do think that even if the Mondo line was great and all, I'm pretty sure that it's responsible for a LOT of the Best Buy Canada demise...

Let's all remember that those exclusive were already in the pipeline when FS closed... also, there was wayyyyyyyyy too many of each steel printed... many thousands of each for the Canadian market?  Seriously???

I sure did help with HDN, still, this was wayyyyyy over our heads with so many thousand copies... no surprise a big bunch of them are still available in store / online.

With that in mind, I can understand why the product buyers are now shy to order in advance steelbooks.

BUT... if I may, I would bring a "solution" for @BBYTerence

What about having ALL the same exclusives as BBY USA, but making them available "online for pre-order only"???  That way, everyone who would like one could pre-order one, no overstock (or almost none) and everybody is happy?  How hard could it be to have 4-5 box shipped from BBYUSA to BBYCanada?? Smiley Wink

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Well we did get "The Witch" although it wasn't a Best Buy exclusive.

I understand wanting a lot of the steelbooks that Best Buy US has.  

Some of the older titles that received steelbooks recently look pretty good and are priced nicely.

But why is it important to have a "Canadian Exclusive" Steelbook?

In other words, a title or artwork not released anywhere else but here in Canada?  

Or did I misunderstand and Canadian exclusives are not being asked for?

Is it a rarity thing so that down the road you can sell it for a much higher profit?

Is it so the resellers have something to sell that isn't the same that is being sold by resellers in the US for a lot less due to the current situation with the Canadian Dollar?

I'm not suggesting that this is the only reason people want "exclusives"

I am genuinely asking the people who want Canadian Exclusives what the need or the reason is for wanting them?

I really do want to know because I know I'm missing whatever the point is.

So please, if anyone does reply, there is no need to be hostile with your answer.

I would just really like to know.

Thank you!

Epic Genius

Why Canadian Exclusive?

Well... it's only cool if you're a Collector.  Like myself, I've started buying blu-ray in 2008 and then SteelBook in 2009 (with Future Shop's Exclusive Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen).

Having WEA (Worldwide Exclusive Art) just make a release "special" in my eye.  Also, it means it as "rare" and "more collectible".  Of course, if you only look on the $$$ side, it also means more money as Best Buy / Future Shop doesn't ship worldwide, but that is NOT why I do it.  As a proof, I still own my original grails (see my previous post).

If we end up having "NONE" Best Buy Canada exclusive in the future (which I highly suspect will be), I won't cry my life.  I just will be really Smiley Sad as it's with their exclusive that Future Shop (RIP my dear) brought me into SteelBook collecting and I really Heart looking and "playing" with my steelbooks.

The Oracle
0 Kudos

@Drum18

Thank you for your reply!

So it's a collectible thing.  If there is a Canadian Exclusive for a steelbook, do you also at times purchase other steelbooks of the same title?

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I did in the past @casey1985

I remember buying 2 steelbooks for Furious 7.  One SteelBook from Best Buy as it matched the set and one from another Wetailer as it had an Exclusive steelbook + bonus.

Also, as a collector, I purchased other SteelBook Canadian exclusive from other Canadian retailer as I couldn't careless about "standard amaray" releases.

Luminary
0 Kudos

@Drum18

Well first off, you might be off by a few months by the date you mentioned regarding the last time a BBY exclusive hit the shelves. By what I can tell the last EXCLUSIVE to BBY Canada was the Nightcrawler Mondo Steelbook which came out at the end of October in 2015. Now, I'm not sure if you were including Mondos or not, but it's still considered EXCLUSIVE nonetheless.

Regardless of this, it has been awhile since BBY Canada has had an EXCLUSIVE all to their own. Would be nice if they could get that going again...but it's doubtful.
The Oracle
0 Kudos

Marcus05 wrote:
@Drum18

Regardless of this, it has been awhile since BBY Canada has had an EXCLUSIVE all to their own. Would be nice if they could get that going again...but it's doubtful.

For me, buying Steelbooks has always been about spending on physical editions of movies that I love. If I'm going to own a physical copy of a movie, I want it to be something more than just a disc in a blue piece of plastic. I don't even bother buying Blu-rays anymore unless they' are really cheap on clearance or they're in a Steelbook..Smiley Happy

I really miss Future Shop and I did not become aware and interested in collecting steelbooks until the release of Pacific Rim Steelbook in October 15, 2013 at the store Future Shop. Unfortunately I missed out on quite a few animated Disney movie Future Shop Exclusives SteelBooks like the John Carter Steelbook; in addition to many Marvel Studios films like Avengers and Thor on Steelbook, but it would be nice if they could get that going again like Future Shop but I agree it is doubtful. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

I agree with most people here.  I also started collecting because of Future Shop.

However, with the current Blu-ray market where it is now and with SteelBooks widely available in the US, it's no surprise to me why BB Canada has pulled back on releasing more SteelBooks.

They do not have to be WEA.  I like WEA only if the art is better, but it is also fun to own something specially released for your home country.

I do hope Best Buy Canada would bring in more SteelBook titles, either in-store or online.

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can also say that my steelbook collecting days started with FutureShop (RIP). The very first one I purchased was V for Vendetta DVD with a comic book and lenticular slipcover which I still own. Didn't know anything about steelbooks then, but it looked cool, the price was slightly higher than the amray and it was a movie I really liked and wanted to own. I haven't looked back since, but the exclusives do seem to be dead with Best Buy Canada for the time being.

I'm all for supporting Canadian companies, but the only reason I do purchase from BestBuy Canada these days is for the bilingual editions. If they drop that, then my money is definitely going elsewhere since that small bit of exclusitivity / difference from the US version, will be lost. And to be perfectly frank, I have no affinity towards BestBuy as I did with FutureShop.

I am not someone who just purchases every steelbook that comes out and have stopped double-dipping on titles from other countries, but with the issue of steelbooks becoming titleless, my attention is focussing on Asia where the PET slipcover makes up for that. Yes, it does cost more to purchase, but I am willing to pay the extra to keep consistency since I am limiting the number I buy.

Cheers!